Transfer switch location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elton

I have a 2003 Damon Ultrasport and I think the transfer switch may be bad. When Gen is running it shows no input voltage except the House batteries. Any ideas where to locate the transfer switch?

The automatic transfer switch is usually near the 120V distribution panel. You should also be able to locate it by following the shore power cord as that device is where the ouput of the generator and the cord come together. If you don't know what you are looking for, it is a box like device similar to this picture but may be either black or metal colored, depending on the brand.
1664400258449.png

Are you saying that the generator does not supply 120V to the outlets and microwave? Most RV generators do not supply any 12V power but rather supply 120V to the converter in the same way that shore power does.

Didn't check all the outlets, but my inverter/charger connects with polarized plugs and I don't have any AC to the input. Therefore I want to check the transfer switch.
Tomorrow I plan on removing the distribution panel to see if it's in there.

When Gen is running it shows no input voltage
What shows no input voltage, i.e. at what point is this voltage being measured? If at the source for the inverter/charger, and that is an outlet, are any other outlets showing power? A failed ATS would affect all AC power, not just the inverter input.

One common location for the ATS is directly behind the load center (breaker box), but it can vary widely in different makes & models. Even floor plan can make a difference in where the wires run.

There is no AC at inverter or at breaker panel. I do not have the ability to supply AC shore power at home.

So the generator runs but you detect no power at the breaker panel (presumably using a voltmeter?). Is this a new problem (it has worked in the past) or your first time trying it out? And you are sure your coach has a transfer switch and does not require you to plug the shore cord into a generator outlet?

Sorry to ask for such basic clarifications, but these are common reasons when RV owners say their generator isn't providing power.

To find the ATS you may have to trace the shore cord or generator wires until they join at the ATS. If you can easily get at the area just behind the breaker panel, it's worthwhile to look there first because its a fairly common location.

The gen worked fine last year but not working this year. And yes I'm using a volt meter.

And yes I'm using a volt meter.
If you have 120V at the main distribution panel but no 120V out, that sounds like the main circuit breaker is open or bad. If you have 120V on shore power but not on the generator, that sounds like the ATS. You need to check for 120V into the ATS if you have no 120V into the main circuit breaker. If none there, the generator circuit breaker is suspect.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who offered a solution to my problem, Kirk your last reply made me think and we looked for a tripped circuit breaker on the Onan Gen Set. No circuit breaker found but did find a blown 25 amp fuse. Replaced the fuse and now I show AC input to the inverter chargers, and all the electrical issues went away. Thank you for your help. Of all the sites I went to looking for ideas this one is the one that gave me the most help.

Thanks for letting us know. It helps us to assist the next person if we know the answers to the problems that we try to resolve. It is a team effort on these forums.

Back
Top Bottom