Transferring browser favorites list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

I am still working on installation of my new laptop.  Any easy way to transfer my browser favorites list from the old laptop to the new laptop.  I do have a working wired network to send data between the 2 machines.

Just copy the Favorites folder from the old machine to the new.

Ned:

Upon further investigation, I realized if I simply replace one folder with the other, it will overwrite the new ones on the new computer.  Can I selectively move over just the links and sub folders I want from the old PC to the new PC?  I should have done all this the first day I got my new PC heheh.  Now I have things on both PCs I want to keep.  :mad:

Smoky said:
Ned:

Upon further investigation, I realized if I simply replace one folder with the other, it will overwrite the new ones on the new computer.? Can I selectively move over just the links and sub folders I want from the old PC to the new PC?? I should have done all this the first day I got my new PC heheh.? Now I have things on both PCs I want to keep.? :mad:

Smoky, go to Windows Help and check out, "My Briefcase" and "Off Line Files" for info on file synchronization. Once you have them in sync, I find it easier to only make changes to "favorites" on my server - then periodically copy that folder to each station. However, with folders that need to be in constant sync, these tools can make life easier. You will also find under Win Help when to use one vs. the other. There are a number of SW products on the market you may want to explore -- just Google to check those out.

Thanks Bob.  It has been many years since I used briefcase.  I shall take a look at that.  Wonder if it can also synch my outlook pst file?  I have never understood why MSFT will not allow users on a network to share a pst file and have just one file to work with.  Maybe that is what exchange is for, but msft exchange is too complicated for my needs.

Do a Google search on folder synchronizer and it should turn up a number of programs that can be used to sychronize folders between different computers or on the same computer.  I use Beyond Compare from www.scootersoftware.com.

Actually, if you just open two Windows Explorer folders (or My Computers), go to the Favorites of the current computer with one, and the Favorites of the old computer with the other, you can selectively copy what you want from the old to the new.  I just did this myself.  I upgraded the innards of my computer and decided to do a little housecleaning while I was at it.  I.E., loaded a new Windows installation.  I'm still working on getting all the old info I need before nuking all the old stuff.  At least it was raining here so I couldn't do anything outdoors anyway!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom