Transmission

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edee

Hello
My transmission doesn’t work anymore on my RV Fleetwood Bounder Chevy 1986
Do you have tips?
I’m in California on the PCH Between Malibu and Ventura
I didn’t find a mechanic shop who could help me :(
Thanks for your help!
ED

Attachments

• 56B33FAC-F09B-45B0-9597-5E6928DBF10C.jpeg
    56B33FAC-F09B-45B0-9597-5E6928DBF10C.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 6
35 year old vehicle. I assume you are on the side of the road. Your best course of action is to figure out where to bring the motorhome then have a wrecker get it there.

I assume you have taken in the basic observations?

Leaking fluid
Working linkage
Previous symtoms
Reverse working
Forward working

Your best two chances of repair at your current location will be the top 2

Leaking fluid / low fluid
Linkage connected and working

Call local transmission shops, see if they can fit a motorhome, and have time to replace the transmission, if you are lucky you will find a hole in the wall shop that will change it out for a couple of thousand dollars.

35 year old vehicle. I assume you are on the side of the road. Your best course of action is to figure out where to bring the motorhome then have a wrecker get it there.

I assume you have taken in the basic observations?

Leaking fluid
Working linkage
Previous symtoms
Reverse working
Forward working

Your best two chances of repair at your current location will be the top 2

Leaking fluid / low fluid
Linkage connected and working
Thanks

Call local transmission shops, see if they can fit a motorhome, and have time to replace the transmission, if you are lucky you will find a hole in the wall shop that will change it out for a couple of thousand dollars.
I did with Leon’s transmission with 3 shops they told me 33 feet it’s too big for my place and some of them told me we don’t work on 1986 :(

There is nothing magical about that transmission - it's a standard GM automatic, probably a TH700 or 4L60. Just need a place that can get a big motorhome onto their lift or over their pit. You probably need a place that services truck to do that. If they don't do transmission work, they could pull it out and send it to a tranny shop.

Given the age of the tranny and reluctance to work on such old stuff, you might consider buying a rebuilt (if available) or used one from a salvage yard and try to find a truck shop that would swap it out.

Sorry - I'm an Easterner and have no idea what shops to recommend near you.

There is nothing magical about that transmission - it's a standard GM automatic, probably a TH700 or 4L60. Just need a place that can get a big motorhome onto their lift or over their pit. You probably need a place that services truck to do that. If they don't do transmission work, they could pull it out and send it to a tranny shop.

Given the age of the tranny and reluctance to work on such old stuff, you might consider buying a rebuilt (if available) or used one from a salvage yard and try to find a truck shop that would swap it out.

Thanks

What have you done since it quit working? Have checked the fluid level?
Looked underneath the motorhome for fluid dripping?
If possible, provide some details of how the motorhome worked, just before the transmission quit working

What have you done to determine the cause.???.>>>Dan
My transmission doesn’t work well
On Drive
I have to put the RV on 2
I think it happened because

I had to turn the steering wheel said motor-home fully to the left and the gearbox is shifted

That "gearbox" is solidly bolted to the engine,, It can't "shift" unless the rear trans support is broken,, and even then it should not effect the way it shifts.>>>Dan

My transmission doesn’t work well
On Drive
I have to put the RV on 2
I think it happened because

I had to turn the steering wheel said motor-home fully to the left and the gearbox is shifted
Huh? Sorry, but this makes no sense.

Although it's a little late now, a road service contract like CoachNet or Good Sam Road Service provides a tow to a shop that can do the repairs, no matter how far away.

In an '86 it's going to be a Turbo 400(assuming a P30 chassis). Any GM dealer that will work on motor homes can do that in a day-day and a half, easy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom