Transporting pet in truckbed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saw1953

We have a lab that we want to take with us when we use the TT.  We do not have a twin cab truck so the only option is to crate him in the back of the truck.  Do any of you have suggestions on what kind of crate to use and where to get them.  I have been looking on the web but don't see any tie downs on any of the crates.  Another issue is that he is elderly and will need steps or a ramp or something in order to get into the back of the truck.  This question may get some folks terribly upset but could we let him ride in the TT while we're driving.

Hi Sheila,

I don't know if it's legal to transport animals in the back of pickups in all states but I have seen it done a lot, with or without a cage. I wouldn't want to do it without. You might check a hunters supply outfit. Many hunters transport their dogs in cages that seem very sturdy. I would keep an eye on the weather. An older dog may not fair well if it gets cold.

I wouldn't transport him in the trailer. Trailers do not have what I consider good suspension and they tend to bounce a lot on the highways. Being old, your dog might try to move around just as the trailer bounces and end up getting injured. I doubt he would enjoy the bouncing either.

In Arizona, it is illegal to carry a dog in the back of a p/u truck. However, it is legal to carry your children there. Shows you what's important to our 50 dwarfs who legislate downtown.

saw1953 said:
We have a lab that we want to take with us when we use the TT.? We do not have a twin cab truck so the only option is to crate him in the back of the truck.? Do any of you have suggestions on what kind of crate to use and where to get them.? I have been looking on the web but don't see any tie downs on any of the crates.? Another issue is that he is elderly and will need steps or a ramp or something in order to get into the back of the truck.? This question may get some folks terribly upset but could we let him ride in the TT while we're driving.

The "enclosed" crate used to transpot dogs on airlines are about as good as one can get.  I just gave three large ones to local Rescue Group last spring. They use them to move dogs all over the state. The top and rear are solid, the sides have slots for air holes but otherwise solid and then the front is an open gate. They are sold in major pet stores such as Petsmart. I would add some padding for an older dog to absorb shocks. Ramps can be purchased as well although more difficult to find. Internet search will turn up sources I'm sure. Crate should be tied down using standard type ratcheting straps from Home Depot/Lowe's.

PetSmart  makes a rig that has a strap that goes across the truck bed and has a ring in the center.  The dog can lie down or stand up as it pleases and cannot jump out.  They are also below the cab's slipstream  so the airflow goes over them and not onto them. I agree that the weather would dictate to me whether to put them in the back at all. Wal-Mart also carries a folding cage with removable solid bottom tray that can be removed and washed without taking the dog out. They come in different sizes for different breeds.  My sis has one for her Lab. They used 1" wratchet straps to keep it from sliding.  I think I paid around $65 for my Bassett size cage. They fold down to about 3.5" thick.

Back
Top Bottom