Trapped at the RV park!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does this road give access only to the CG or are there private homes involved also?
Private homes as well Rene. But they are further down the road past the twisty narrow part. It was a local 20 something kid that hit the side of the bridge in his truck at 2 AM. The residents can get out by going about 5-8 miles the other way.

This is the only result from our contacts to the media yesterday. But as the article says, "vehicles over 30' not advised" on the only possible way out. No large vehicles of any size allowed on the other road.

Does this road give access only to the CG or are there private homes involved also?
There are cabins, IIRC, part of the RV park, but no homes. That place is not far from my house in Auburn, CA. Hwy 49 is a popular road for motorcycle rides, so I ride by that area fairly often.

The RV Park is on the other side of the American River. A rather wide river. Not the type of river that is easy to get across.

I have never been there to the RV park, it's too close to be useful to me.

But see here for some photos and other info.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
That is a bit exciting! Hopefully, you don’t have any immediate plans elsewhere!

Being stranded away from our “compound” is our fear and ruined our 2020 rv’ing plans. We didn’t go anywhere for fear that there be a “Covid Induced state to state travel ban”! memtb

This is the only result from our contacts to the media yesterday. But as the article says, "vehicles over 30' not advised" on the only possible way out. No large vehicles of any size allowed on the other road.

It can’t be too serious because it may be fixed by today according to the article. Just sit back and relax

Being stranded away from our “compound” is our fear and ruined our 2020 rv’ing plans. We didn’t go anywhere for fear that there be a “Covid Induced state to state travel ban”!
I agree. I was planning on a trip to England for a month to visit Liverpool during the annual 'Beatles Week' in August. Not in an RV of course but it is still travelling.

I got trapped in a large PA campground once when a major storm felled a couple big trees on the entrance road. More than could be remedied in 30 minutes with a chain saw, but hardly a disaster. But the lawyers for the corporate mother company got involved and insisted the road couldn't be cleared or used until engineers surveyed it and declared it safe. Surely an excess of caution, but something city-bred lawyers get paid to do. The coach was stuck there. Finally an enterprising campground maintenance supervisor used a front loader to clear and widen an old service entrance so equipment could be moved in, which the lawyers Okayed. Then he looked the other way when people like me drove their motorhomes over that "unimproved access point". :D

Private homes as well Rene. But they are further down the road past the twisty narrow part. It was a local 20 something kid that hit the side of the bridge in his truck at 2 AM. The residents can get out by going about 5-8 miles the other way.
I somehow missed that post. Are those all private roads with no trespassing, or can I take a ride down there on a motorcycle to take a look at that area (when the bridge is open)?

-Don- Reno, NV

You might consider some social media posts if you participate in any of that. Get that warning out there to other RVers.

X2 on that.
Unlike C-rations, which MRE's the military would accept was decided on by many troops. And not only that, they improved over the years. See here.

IAC, I have no issue with any of them, other than they are too heavy and large for a backpacking trip.

But I even had no problems with the ones from the 1980's. I could eat any of them. And anything that they came with. I think I have tried them all.

Could the difference be that I was never forced to survive on them for every meal? I was forced for a year with C-rations--either that or starve.

Those who were forced to eat MRE's have no clue how well they had it!

-Don- Reno, NV

About the only thing I liked in the C’s was the spaghetti and the pound cake. The rest you could have. I remember they use to have 2 chilklet gum and a couple of cigarettes. The good old days.

About the only thing I liked in the C’s was the spaghetti and the pound cake. The rest you could have. I remember they use to have 2 chilklet gum and a couple of cigarettes. The good old days.
The chicken was pretty good, too. The cigarettes were disgusting.

About the only thing I liked in the C’s was the spaghetti and the pound cake.
You're kidding! The spaghetti was the worse I have tried. Most of us would trash that one. But everybody loved the pound cake. That would be good even by today's standards.

Most of the C-rations were opened and buried uneaten, unless we didn't expect more for a while. Opened so they would get rotten if the NVA found them, as they were less picky than us American troops.

The better ones were:

Boned chicken, chicken and noodles, beefsteak and potatoes, turkey loaf, Beans and Wieners.

The worse ever (only in older cases) had to be the Ham and Lima Beans, AKA "ham & mutas" . I remember troops taking bets on who could finish one full can the quickest.

-Don- Reno, NV

It can’t be too serious because it may be fixed by today according to the article. Just sit back and relax

They updated the article today and this is what they say now:

"
The county’s Department of Transportation Maintenance Division staff assessed damage to the bridge and reported one of the main columns had been hit by the truck. The bridge is expected to remain closed for several months until repairs are made. "

The bridge is expected to remain closed for several months until repairs are made. "
Wow! I wonder what the plan now is to get the people out of there with their RVs--if any!

I guess that 5-8 mile road can help at least get the people out. But what will the full timers do for several months? I guess they can have a way to go back and fourth for food, supplies & such and continue to live ion their RVs.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom