Trapped at the RV park!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"Vehicles over xx ft. not advised" usually means there's not enough room for a longer vehicle to negotiate turns without crossing into the oncoming lane. As opposed to "Vehicles over xx ft. Prohibited".

Time to arrange for a pilot car to clear the way while the large RVs get out.

Boy we haven't had a good dramatic happening since Amanda took off around the country. We are going to be following this thread until it gets resolved. Maybe we can turn it into a movie.

Well, we are out. It wasn't pretty, but we made it. The head of the county building department and a Sheriff's supervisor was there this morning. The bridge is in fact closed, UFN. Maybe months, or years if they decide to tear it down. Either way, I was getting the heck out!
Escape 1.jpg
The building dept head for the county decided that the only way to get out was Bayne Road, yeah that's the one that's marked for no large vehicles. So the Sheriff and I drove it in his car, stopped and measured the curves. Some were really tight, but with a spotter (another county guy) me and 18 other RV's of various descriptions decided to flee the park.
Escape 2.jpg
The head guy called out a crew to cut some of the most obstructing trees overhanging the road, but some were missed. (I have the pin stripes to prove it) I was about #5 in line to make the trip, with Diane following in the Jeep. Some it was ok, but the 6-7 mile trip took about a half hour at 5-8 mph. A few of the curves caused my heart to skip a beat, but the spotter was guiding my right front tire as it rode along the harry edge in some places. About 3 of the curves were nail biters, but the rest I did myself with Diane watching my rear tires. A few times I did hang the outside dual off the edge, but made it back on the road.
Escape 3.jpg
The road is open to the public, and it's a two way, one lane road. Unless your me, then it becomes a "my way or no way" road. Backing up was out of the question. We got to the end and turned out onto a few other two lane roads, but even some of those were pretty tight with zero shoulder and trees encroaching into the road. And then there is always Semi's and logging trucks flying by that refuse to slow down.
Escape 6.JPG
But we are out, and it's one of those places I will not return to. But that may not be an issue if the county demo's the bridge, I don't think the RV park could survive for a couple of years with just tent campers coming up the back way.

Diane had contacted the local news paper and a few other news outlets in the area. The paper called her back and a reporter interviewed her, and published her interview today.
Escape 7.JPG

Whew!

Hope you are settled for a few days with the most exciting activity is bending your elbow for food and drink.

Wow! Glad you were able to make it out of there, Marty. And an interesting newspaper write-up, thanks to Diane.

That whole experience is certainly a cautionary note for us all -- thanks for keeping us informed.

You can have 100% of my share of MREs...Yeah they called them C-rations in Vietnam...They kept me alive but not much more and when I met my wife on R&R she was shocked to see all my ribs showing. However, I made up for it, now my doctors say I need to lose weight....Perfect!

We were at a campground once where you crossed a ditch to get in into the campground. The paved drive across the ditch had a huge cement pipe under it that you could just about walk through. We had a huge rain storm that set a record for inches of rain in an hour or so. There was so much water in that ditch that when it squeezed down in the pipe under the road it blew out the road. We were trapped in that campground for 5 extra days. We had enough frozen home-made meals in the freezer and canned food to see us through and actually enjoyed the stay.

Wow, that next-to-last pic with the reflectors makes me sick just thinking about how close your tires must have been to the drop-off! Well-done navigating your way out of that one!

Thanks folks, we are really happy to be out of there. It's one thing to stay long term at a park because you want to, but something entirely different when you are forced to.

I will be dealing with the scrapes on the MH soon I hope, and a second symptom of driving out was a significant strain on the Allison trans. At one point I glanced at the digital trans temp gauge, and saw temps of 221 degrees.

Through much of the climb out I was forced to stop, or nearly so to negotiate a curve. Repeated stops on those grades, sometimes even rolling backwards a bit puts tremendous strain on it. When I pulled into my destination park in Lodi I noted that I had a flashing MIL light and pulled a code of TCM: SPN 3359 FMI 16. As near as I can tell I believe it's a prognostic code from the trans indicating it may need a trans filter change. The yellow MIL light didn't stay on, it was kind of flickering. So I will have to figure that out.

Two other codes that were initially displayed were ECM: SPN 45223 FMI 5, and ECM: SPN 10400 FMI 9 Those codes I cannot find anywhere.

Dang - That's a story for the books. At least the authorities decided to provide an option before all the RVers showed up at the town hall meeting with pitchforks and torches.

I remember one time as a kid (late 1960's) we had two families with pop-up campers and station wagons heading into the mountains of CA. I remember the dirt road being super narrow and even at like 7 years old I was scared.

The "dads" finally relented to the moms at one section and all the kids were offloaded to walk a certain section with a huge drop off.

In Vietnam, I was with the 121st Signal Battalion, 1st Infantry Division. I was at a forward supply point that had a mess hall, but we had to have people on duty 24/7. The only way to eat, was to steal c-rations from the the supply depot.

There were some ways to improve them. C-Ration Cook Book

In Vietnam, I was with the 121st Signal Battalion, 1st Infantry Division. I was at a forward supply point that had a mess hall, but we had to have people on duty 24/7. The only way to eat, was to steal c-rations from the the supply depot.

There were some ways to improve them. C-Ration Cook Book
I was in B-3-8, 4TH Infantry Division. I was 11B (infantry) from Sep 1969-70, Central Highland jungles mostly between An Khe and Pleiku. I was also in the 1970 Cambodia incursion. So I lived on C-rats 3 times per day for a year with only very few rare exceptions, such a freeze-dried LRRP meal (those were actually very good--best food available in Vietnam, IMO).

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom