Trapped at the RV park!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh Lord...
Stuck in a Lodi dump again!

Well, we know that won't happen this time anyway. Man, that road looks crazy. When I was stationed in Japan (Misawa), we used to go camping in a nearby lake in a dormant volcano. Beautiful lake. The roads up to it were very narrow and had some crazy hairpin turns. But they had mirrors on the curves so you could see what was coming the other way. But it was still slow going and pretty scary for those with a paranoid heart.

Glad to see you got out. And a hearty pat on the back for the expert driving.

Stuck in a Lodi dump again!

Well, we know that won't happen this time anyway. Man, that road looks crazy. When I was stationed in Japan (Misawa), we used to go camping in a nearby lake in a dormant volcano. Beautiful lake. The roads up to it were very narrow and had some crazy hairpin turns. But they had mirrors on the curves so you could see what was coming the other way. But it was still slow going and pretty scary for those with a paranoid heart.

Glad to see you got out. And a hearty pat on the back for the expert driving.
We were stationed at Misawa from 89-93. I was in CE, Electronic Controls. All the roads in and around Misawa were very narrow. Great assignment though. We are FB friends with folks we met and stayed with in Sapporo.

We were stationed at Misawa from 89-93. I was in CE, Electronic Controls. All the roads in and around Misawa were very narrow. Great assignment though. We are FB friends with folks we met and stayed with in Sapporo.

I was there from Dec '80 - July '82. It was my first duty assignment. I worked up on the Hill. Of course now, there is no "Hill" as we knew it. There is nothing left of those days. Time marches on.

I was there from Dec '80 - July '82. It was my first duty assignment. I worked up on the Hill. Of course now, there is no "Hill" as we knew it. There is nothing left of those days. Time marches on.
I got jacked up trying to get in the Elephant Cage one day. We really enjoyed that assignment. I made Master there and then did 6 years at Lackland. Didn’t enjoy Lackland all that much.

Sapporo was awesome. We were 30 something sinks (single income no kids) in the mid 90's. We did the Sapporo ice festival for a weekend. Stayed at an on-sen with other couples, skied and took the train to Sapporo city to see all the ice carvings. Beautiful. It was just after the 98 winter Olympics and the ryokan we stayed in had just been occupied by the Swedish national team who had left some memorabilia (flags and stuff) on the walls and such.

I had a retiree/reservist working for me at the time and he did his weekend duties at Camp Zama. He used to get to play golf for free (in Japan that's a big deal) and he'd take me as a guest. I only had to pay $100 for a guest round - What a deal - LOL...

Japan was a great assignment.

Possibly. If the County, State, or whoever decides that the bridge isn't worth rebuilding, it could be years before there would be access for RV's to easily access the park. Tent campers can get down one of the back roads, but there are lots more RV spaces there.

Did everyone get out? Were there bigger RVs than you that made it? What an Adventure!

Oh boy, somehow I missed this thread. So glad you made it out!

Coloma rang a bell and, looking through my notes, I'm reminded that we stayed at that campground so I could fish the South Fork of the American River. I recall nervously crossing that bridge (very slowly) and crossing my fingers.

fish the South Fork of the American River.
So fishing is the attraction of this campground?

Or is it located close to some attraction?

Or is it just a cheap place to stay?

Why do people camp there?

Just curious.

Or is it located close to some attraction?

Or is it just a cheap place to stay?

Why do people camp there?

Just curious.
It was fishing for me at the time. We had our grandson along, and Chris felt it was a great park for young kids. There are some Gold Country things to see nearby, but it's too long ago for me to remember. I also don't recall the fee, but we didn't stay there because of price. Check it out here: Outdoor Destination Vacation Experience | Coloma Resort

In the event that access to the park is restored, a heads up to anyone planning to fish/wade the river ... they let water out of the dam upstream every afternoon, and it can catch you unawares. I found myself 'stranded' on a small island behind the park. At the time, there were no warnings in the park office or in their welcome documentation.

Back
Top Bottom