TRASH TRASH TRASH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarfile

I was so disappointed this past weekend camping at Yogi Bear in Quarryville Pa. I understand it was a "Halloween Weekend" with lots of kids roaming the grounds but the amount of trash I picked up walking the grounds was very depressing. The parents of these trashers should be ashamed of themselves for not teaching them "camping basics" the and respect of mother nature. That's what they get for letting the school system do the teaching. What a shame that we can't enjoy nature without stepping over trash. Welcome the the new normal.

When I saw the title, I thought somebody here must have drove thru the Midland/Odessa area.
It is sad that people can’t pick up after themselves, no matter where they are.

They re your children and grandchildren (generation Wise) who were not taut by their parents how to treat the earth. There have been PSA's for years about litter, the parents do not listen so the children do not listen. Yes, the boomers raised a generation of slobs who care mostly about themselves and the children are worse
I have no children and have seen this for a long time

Yep, the answer is for campgrounds to add a retainer fee (lets call it a Slob fee) to the reservation which if the site ls left as they found it, would be refunded? Great money maker for them too!

Only problem is, everyone would blame the camper before them and even a picture would not work, because they would say the date stamp was altered or some other crap.

We frequent a local mom-and-pop campground that has just such a "slob fee" as you call it and I know he is diligent about cleaning/checking sites as soon as they are vacated. Whether or not they have ever actually charged anyone I don't know.

They re your children and grandchildren (generation Wise) who were not taut by their parents how to treat the earth. There have been PSA's for years about litter, the parents do not listen so the children do not listen. Yes, the boomers raised a generation of slobs who care mostly about themselves and the children are worse
I have no children and have seen this for a long time
[Begin Rant]
Being a "Boomer", I take exception to that. We learned how to mind the trash, and take care of things. I taught my kid, and her cousins how to take care of the Earth, conserve resources, and pick up after themselves. They, in turn, have done the same. I am quite proud of my grandkids, and am sure that they will continue the traditions we passed on to them.
It's not a generation thing, it is simply a cultural thing. There are plenty of people of all ages and generations who never cared about their surroundings. You see them everywhere, and their ancestors probably were trashing the place all the way back when the they came over from the Continent.
But don't try to hang it on us Boomers.

[End Rant]
Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Charge a cleaning deposit, up front and make the refund upon a required check out inspection by the camp host.
That would be easy to do. The CG should have a list of who will be checking out that morning. All they have to do is around 8:00 AM go around in a golf cart checking all those sites.

That would be easy to do. The CG should have a list of who will be checking out that morning. All they have to do is around 8:00 AM go around in a golf cart checking all those sites.
Simple as that! Put some of these illegals to work :)

The last state park we stayed at, they asked us at check-in to notify them if there were any problems with the site such as trash, garbage in the fire pit, damage to the facilities, etc. They said most of the summer help had left for school, and they would send someone right over if needed. Our site was fine with just a small poop pile at the treeline that I'm not sure was from a dog. It looked like it might have been raccoon scat when I picked it up.

I was so disappointed this past weekend camping at Yogi Bear in Quarryville Pa. I understand it was a "Halloween Weekend" with lots of kids roaming the grounds but the amount of trash I picked up walking the grounds was very depressing. The parents of these trashers should be ashamed of themselves for not teaching them "camping basics" the and respect of mother nature. That's what they get for letting the school system do the teaching. What a shame that we can't enjoy nature without stepping over trash. Welcome the the new normal.
We found the same when at Grand Canyon in June. When walking the dog I'd bring and plastic bag (if I didn't find one stuck to a bush) and keep filling it. Then, when the dog walk was complete and I had accumulated a bunch of trash and walking back to my site I'd be sure to show every campsite that had kids and exclaim about how some folks are trashing THEIR national park. Maybe one or two understood... maybe...

It ain't just the camp grounds. I played golf a lot in my life. You should see what's left of cigars/cigarettes and chewing tabaco all over the coarse, even on the greens. Trash also. I don't play no mo, so I don't look at it now.

Charge a cleaning deposit, up front and make the refund upon a required check out inspection by the camp host.
Great idea but the slobs won't care, they will leave without waiting on the host to "inspect" and grumble about having to pay the fee but won't really care as they figured that is what someone else is getting "paid" to do is clean up after them. Pretty soon it just becomes part of the campsite cost.

Sadly almost all of the RV channels on Youtube show themselves picking up every one elses messes, and commenting that they know the people watching are not the ones doing this but hopefully the "word will get around". Sadly these slobs are the same ones who walk thru your campsite, who make a huge mess of the restrooms, if they throw the trash they don't bother to close the bin doors but are more likely to put their trash in the bear proof food storage containers because its closer.

Charles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom