Travel and Temp Jobs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Bojangles

Hello all:

Introduction:
After Holidays I plan to find TEMP employment using Services such as "OfficeTeam" (add .com to see web site if needed) and travel around country for six months or so.... a month here, a month there, thus paying for travel expenses as I go. I have worked for these people locally (Reading, Pa.) recently and begun to establish a work history of "reliability" and "dependability" for future assignments.

I'm 68 years young and have extensive office experience using Microsoft's "OFFICE" software. Have been blessed with work activities giving me valuable and marketable skill sets.

Question(s) for Discusion:
1) Have you had experience doing the TEMP JOB thing as you traveled? Could you share experiences?
2) Can you recommend agency's or "networks" of any type to inquire about employment?

Comment:
I am NOT interested in employment at RV Campsites or Parks (RV) but busy administrative activity in office environment. Spreadsheet input and analysis would be ideal.

Thanking all,
Jim O (Mr Bojangles)

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
I have heard of people doing this but cannot offer any first hand experience. We usually workamp during the summer, but that's more for fun than profit. You will make more money your way, if you can find work consistently. You will probably want to travel to/near the larger metro areas to increase your chances.

I would think that establishing a track record with national agencies (as you are doing) would be the wisest move, but I would still check with the local agencies wherever you go - they may have a better handle on who needs help locally in smaller towns.

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
If you work in multiple states with state income tax, you will be filing multiple state income tax returns every year.  This can get very complicated as some states may try to claim you as a resident based on their residency rules.  Or you could limit your employment to non-tax states :)

Wendy

Site Team
As Ned said, if you work in multiple states, you'd be filing multiple tax returns, possibly just to get back any withholding. It could get really messy if you worked in more than a couple of states and claimed another state as your domicile state. There's also the possibility of some state trying to tax your social security. I'd check with a tax professional on the tax implications.

Also, consider only taking jobs where the company will pay you as an independent contractor. Currently, we work in four states (Colorado-Utah-Arizona-New Mexico) but all of the jobs are paid to us at our Colorado address., most of them are independent contractor jobs, and we claim enough exemptions so that there is no state withholding (we don't make enough to have to pay taxes so this is ok).

Enjoy your travels
Wendy

Smoky

Wendy:

How do you keep Arizona from claiming you as a resident?  I only ask this because last month there was a thread insisting that if you work and earn a single dollar in Arizona, they claim you as a resident.  I would love to overcome this.  I am starting a karaoke business and want to work as an independent contractor.

Wendy

Site Team
Smoky said:
Wendy:

How do you keep Arizona from claiming you as a resident?  I only ask this because last month there was a thread insisting that if you work and earn a single dollar in Arizona, they claim you as a resident.  I would love to overcome this.  I am starting a karaoke business and want to work as an independent contractor.

Ya know, Smoky, I don't really know and never really thought about it before today. Just last month, we did jobs in Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. However, the address on file for the companies Mike does work for is our Cortez address. We list Colorado as our state of residence. And we do claim all the money on our federal and Colorado tax returns (before eliminating most of it with deductions).

I believe I'll do some research.

Wendy

Smoky

Wendy:

Let me know what you find out.  I am most interested.

Liz:

Aye, we have enjoyed karaoke for several years now and just bought a commercial system.  We have a 1,000 watt Yamaha power mixer (12 input channels, compression, special effects, graphic equalizer, and more) with 2 club style Yamaha BR15 speakers.  A CAVS system (digital - no cd+gs needed) with over 24,000 karaoke songs loaded from major karaoke labels, and 3500 DJ songs.  4 wired mikes, 2 wireless mikes, a video in motion system to accompany the music.  Now all we need are jobs.

It is a tough business to break into, but ironically there is also a shortage of qualified hosts.  I am one of the few people in Arizona who intimately knows the CAVS digital system, and already negotiating a host job at a club that has their own CAVS.  We also are doing jobs inside our own park.  There is better money, and more fun, running your own show with your own equipment.  I ought to bring the equipment to the desert for all the folks who don't like outdoor music.  The sound from this system is spectacular, and I would either convert them or drive them to the next state!  ;D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoilus
Top Bottom