Travel from Florida to Michigan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lynnszegi

We are planning a trip from Dunnellon Florida to Marion Michigan would like to avoid 75 and stop and camp along the way any recommendations

I've done Lake City to Dayton Ohio like 10 times this year during my transfer. I75 sucks pretty bad but I don't see a great alternative.

You could do Charlotte-Columbus but not sure what kinds of hills you have to deal with getting there or you could to Memphis-Indianapolis and avoid the hills.

No interstate choices that are not much longer, i.e. go west to I65 or stay east on I95 until you can cut back west, e.g. I64.

Otherwise its one of the US Highways, e.g. US 27 that runs from Florida to Michigan. Lots of cities and towns along the way, so the hard to cover many miles/day.

You can avoid the southern end of I75 by taking I95 to I26, then I40-I81 to join I75 at Knoxville. It's a prettier route and avoids the Atlanta area.

There is no shortage of camping along the I75 route.

Start with taking US 19/98 north to Albany then US 520 toward Columbus. It meets with US 280 at Richland. North to LaGrange, and follow US 27
That can take you to and through Chattanooga.

Also, US 27 is pretty good road all the way from Chattanooga to Lexington/Frankfort, KY area.

A friend/CoWorker from Indiana, told me that From Frankfort, US 421 will get you across the Ohio river and then SR 3 is a nice run from Greensburg to Ft Wayne. But, I haven't qualified that for an RV/High Clearance route, myself, yet.

Another option is US 301 to I95 to I26 to US 23 to US 35 to I75. It is about 110 miles further than I75. Avoids Atlanta, Chattanooga and Knoxville, but you go through Asheville which currently has a lot of construction. If you avoid rush hour, Asheville's construction isn't too bad. US23 is 4 lane 95% of the way and not crowded. We travel all but the 301 portion every year to and from ST Marys GA. A little slower than I75 but not a lot of traffic except for the I95 portion. Can provide campground info should you think it's a viable option for you.

My preferred route from Spring Hill FL to Michigan is US19 north (zero traffic N of Crystal River.) to I-10W to Hwy 231W, to I-65N at Montgomery. (We stay the night in Montgomery at The Woods Campground just off I-65.) Next day I-65N to around Sheperdsville, KY. (Grandma's RV Park has pull throughs) Next day I-65N to I-69N at Indy, then I-69 into Michigan. There are quite a few stop lights going through Troy and Athens, AL on 231, but my blood pressure stays much lower than taking I-75.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom