Travel trailer covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tmccranie

Hi all, this will be my first winter with my travel trailer. I live in upstate NY and I am looking for suggestions/recommendations for a cover as I will have to store my trailer outside. I need a cover that will hold up against snow and wind. Thanks

I just use a heavy-duty tarp. It comes down about 25% from the roof top all the way around. Seems to work just fine. Just make sure to get the extra thick type, not the real thin blue ones that you see everywhere. I tied it down at multiple points to the frame under the trailer.

Any cover in wind can tear and/or damage your trailer. In 35 years owning RVs I covered mine once. The cover was torn to shreads within a month due to wind where I lived at the time.

I've always purchased a cover for the various RV's I've owned since I've never had any covered storage for them. I've mostly used ADCO covers,and they generally last around 3 or 4 years.
I used a tarp once and it rubbed some of the finish off of my class c I had at the time.
I'm backwards from most,where I don't use the RV in the summer months so it's covered more to protect from the sun than the other elements.
This year I bought a cover that claims to have a lifetime guarantee.
I can't recall for sure, but I believe it is a Perma Pro cover.
It wa a little more expensive, but I believe the rip stop nylon it's made of will help it last longer. I'm sure down the road I will be testing it out to see how well the "lifetime" warranty holds up.
With any cover you need to be sure any sharp edges are covered so not to rip the cover. I've used everything from duct tape,to gardens hose,to hard foam padding,and still seem to manage to rip a cover.
This time I found some plastic downspout covers and the new cover made it through this summer withpout a tear.

Last edited:
Hopefully, by the end of the first week in November, we'll get to see how the covers have performed on our truck and Fifth wheel.
It would have been a year since we fitted them just before we left the US, so I think that would be a fair test.
I don't think they have endured a lot of snow, but as the units are stored near Blaine WA, they should have seen some rain.

I always cover my Travel Trailer and I was pleased with a prior cover, but after 4 years it's got some tears. I spent the extra $ and bought this one this year, glowing reviews with a lifetime warranty. I cut up swim noodles and use blue painters tape to place them around sharp areas.

I had an ADCO "breathable" cover on my popup over one winter. When I took it off the following spring I had to remove thick mold and fine dirt off the roof. Our motorhome with no cover was parked next to it and was 90% cleaner. The cover doesn't allow dirt to be washed off when it rains. Because it is porous it lets dirt in then acts like a wet towel which grows mold. Maybe in a dry climate they work fine.

I built a 12" high removeable roof tripod from PVC pipe. Covered with foam rubber pipe insulation at contact areas to protect the roof and a non-porous heavy duty tarp. Between it and the roof A/C that sheds water and allows air flow between the tarp and the roof. Now everything stays dry with no mold.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom