Travel trailer feels like a boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Traveling

Hi All,
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic with Eco Diesel. Max tow of 8k . I am pulling a Rockwood Mini Lite 2905s. Dry weight 5500 and loaded weight of 6100 ish.
Wdh is Curt Trutrack 17500.
I have the hitch set and the loaded front of truck within a 1/4” of unloaded height. My cat scale numbers are as follow
Loaded Truck, no trailer
Steer 3700
Drive 2960
Gross 6660

Truck with trailer and wdh
Steer 3580
Drive 3760
Trailer Axle 5320
Gross 12660

I tried to get more weight on the front but the next notch to tilt the head is too aggressive and I can’t get the bars close, even with lifting the back of the truck using trailer Jack. I tried lowering and raising the head but no change. While towing I haven’t noticed sway. What I do notice is that the truck and trailer feel like they are going up and down a lot. It feels like riding on a boat going over waves. The front of the trailer is barley slanted down and when I raise the head higher the front of the trailer is about 1” high. I read that it is better to be slightly down then high if you can’t get it perfectly level.

Any suggestions on how to improve the up and down motion or is this just normal? Truck is completely stock. I take the trailer and family out Friday and really want to make sure it is safe.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sounds like your setup is pretty close. If both the truck and trailer are bouncy together and the front of the truck (steering) is not light (floaty) then it's just the way it is.

There may be a way to get you to be able to get the next angle on the next setting if you play with the location of the trailer bar support brackets.

Screenshot 2022-09-14 at 11-18-38 TruTrack 4P Weight Distribution Hitch with 4x Sway Control 8...png

I agree with the big dog pedro. Have you much experience towing? Your numbers look good. Does that Ram have air suspension? My guess is yes and that could be your issue. The suspension on the Ram 1500 is designed with comfort in mind not towing, no worries you will get used to it, its normal

No airbags in the truck but the rear is soft for sure . I am not experienced towing other than a little 18’ hybrid trailer and even that was just a couple of times.

Regarding the support brackets , I am about 6.5” out from the end. I wanted to give myself a little more room than the 4” min.

I am still running stock 275/60/20 passenger tires as well. Would stepping up to E rated tires help?

Is it when you go over bumps or all the time?

If swaying was your issue then moving up to an E rated tires might help but not sure if it would stop it from bouncing but maybe. I have towed a similar size TT with a half-ton with a Blue Ox WDH and I have only had this on bumpy roads.

Regarding the support brackets , I am about 6.5” out from the end. I wanted to give myself a little more room than the 4” min.
If you move the support brackets back that will in effect lift the trunion bars up and shift more weight to the front of the truck

Your setup and weights are fine. If the trailer and truck ride close to level, I wouldn't make any further adjustments on the WDH. I don't see anything unsafe about what you've described.

The truck could probably benefit from some stiffer shocks, but what you're describing, to be perfectly honest, sounds normal. Try adjusting your speed down a bit and see if the feel is better.

Your setup and weights are fine. If the trailer and truck ride close to level, I wouldn't make any further adjustments on the WDH. I don't see anything unsafe about what you've described.

The truck could probably benefit from some stiffer shocks, but what you're describing, to be perfectly honest, sounds normal. Try adjusting your speed down a bit and see if the feel is better.
I was having a similar problem.
I put on a new set of shocks and it helped a lot.

Maybe try moving some of the tongue weight back over the trailer axle. If you have a front storage compartment full of stuff, try lightening it up, and storing it in the trailer over top the axle whilst towing. Add a pic of your truck/trailer setup……

Back
Top Bottom