Travel Trailer Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martinday

Hello everyone we are looking at TT 's and I am still in a dilema.  We have been looking at 31 ft trailers which are no problem for the tow vehicle but I am concerned having never pulled something that large before. Are they fairly easy to maneuver in smaller spots ??? As I will have to back it up a tight somewhat steep driveway. Although I have experience with large class A's ,sadly I believe it will be a much bigger task than the bass boat or the rv. I am on the edge as to whether to consider the expandable until I have some experience.  :-\ Any words of advice ???

Well, if you can back a bass boat down a boat ramp, you can probably back the trailer OK. Size really doesn't change the process much. In fact, a longer wheelbase makes it easier in some ways.

As for backing up a narrow, steep driveway, that's going tobe chore no matter what size it is!  :-\

martinday said:
Hello everyone we are looking at TT 's and I am still in a dilema. We have been looking at 31 ft trailers which are no problem for the tow vehicle but I am concerned having never pulled something that large before. Are they fairly easy to maneuver in smaller spots ??? As I will have to back it up a tight somewhat steep driveway. Although I have experience with large class A's ,sadly I believe it will be a much bigger task than the bass boat or the rv. I am on the edge as to whether to consider the expandable until I have some experience. :-\ Any words of advice ???

They are not easy to manuever in small spots.  You will learn how tho, and they are easier than 5th wheels or motorhomes of equivalent length.  Easier that fivers because the track the tow vehicle closely instead of tracking inside the turn.  Easier than motorhomes because they in two pieces that pivot in the middle.  They are also lower than either and less likely to prune trees as they back in to a site.

The problem with driveways is getting past the curb break at the entry to the driveway.  Any vehicle with a back over hang  is going have issues with a steep driveway apron.  I live with the problem and cannot change the apron liiving in a city like I do.  I get around it by removing the spring bars and allow the full tongue weight to sag my tow vehicle in the rear raising the butt end of the trailer.  This gives me just enough clearance to make the apron.  Can't do that in a 5th wheel or motorhome. :)

Carl, Gary

Thanks very much for the info I guess there is only one way to learn how to ride a bike. I did
not give as much thought to the overhang and the apron as I should have I will need to look at that tonight but
the trick seems like it would probably work for me as well. Also I will probably have as much trouble
with the 23 ft expandable that I would have with the 31ftBH on the apron. I am trying to figure
if the trailer clearance off the ground would help or hurt me because the difference between the two is very large  ???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom