Travel Trailer Noob - Roof A/C Loud Beeping Noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kluegs17

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the board and I apologize in advance for the long post.  My wife and I recently purchased a small 2017 Coachmen Clipper Travel Trailer (Model 17BH, 21.4 feet) to dip our toes in the RV world.  I grew up RV'ing with my parents but this whole experience is new to my wife, so we decided to go the used route to avoid eating all of the depreciation in case she doesn't enjoy it.  We purchased it used from a private seller who had only used it a few times.

Anyway, I got everything cleaned up (in addition to new battery, fresh propane, etc.) and ready to go for our first trip last weekend. 

Friday - Upon my arrival at the storage lot to pick it up, I heard a loud beeping noise coming from inside the unit.  I just assumed it was a low battery on the smoke detector and I would take care of it with some fresh batteries when we got to the campground.  When we arrived at the campground, the unit was no longer beeping.  We set everything up, started the A/C, etc.  3 or 4 hours later, the beeping resumed.  Upon further inspection, I realized that this ear piercing beeping (which could be heard outside with all the doors and windows closed) was coming from the A/C unit and not the smoke detector.  I turned the A/C off for the night and luckily the beeping stopped right before we went to bed.

Saturday - Due to the heat, I fired up the A/C unit again on Saturday.  It ran most of the day on low without issue.  However, around 7 or 8PM the A/C unit started beeping again.  It was so obnoxious and would not stop beeping even when I pulled the plug on the 30 Amp service.  Finally, I disconnected the battery and got the beeping to stop so we could go to bed and avoid disturbing the rest of the campground (at the expense of not having lights, etc inside the unit) for the rest of the evening.

Sunday - Before leaving the campground, I once again connected the battery and the beeping started again within a few minutes (without the A/C running).

Considering the A/C unit was beeping at the storage lot (before I had ever used the A/C) AND while we were at the campground, does anyone have an idea of the root cause?  The A/C runs off of the 30 Amp service, so I'm not sure why this beeping would be triggered by having the battery connected.  Additionally, I had a full hook up site, so even if the new battery was somehow low when I got to the storage lot, it should have recharged after I got to the campground and the beeping should have discontinued.  The A/C unit was beeping whether it was running or not, which makes no sense to me.

Any ideas / advice you have would be greatly appreciated!

Are you 100% sure it as coming from the AC?  I'm thinking it was coming from the LP detector. It's located near the floor in the close proximity of the gas stove. A low battery would make it beep. The thermostat for the AC runs off 12 Volt DC.

Time to check the battery for voltage and also check the CONverter for 12 volt DC output to see if it's charging your battery.

There are several things that will drain a battery while sitting at a storage lot.  When going into storage, you would need to disconnect the negative battery cable to make sure it doesn't get drawn down.

OH and welcome to the forum. We're here to help.

Rene T said:
Are you 100% sure it as coming from the AC?  I'm thinking it was coming from the LP detector. It's located near the floor in the close proximity of the gas stove. A low battery would make it beep. The thermostat for the AC runs off 12 Volt DC.

Time to check the battery for voltage and also check the CONverter for 12 volt DC output to see if it's charging your battery.

There are several things that will drain a battery while sitting at a storage lot.  When going into storage, you would need to disconnect the negative battery cable to make sure it doesn't get drawn down.

OH and welcome to the forum. We're here to help.

I suppose (in a very compact space like that), the source of the high pitched noise could have been misdiagnosed.  However, my wife and a friend of mine both indicated that they thought the beeping was coming from the A/C unit as well.  I dropped the unit off in storage for the first time on Wednesday and picked it up again on Friday, so I didn't think there would be much risk in the battery draining in that short of a time span, but perhaps I didn't judge that correctly. 

Thanks for your advice, I will check the LP Detector, battery for voltage, and converter to double check.

I cannot imagine any way a beeping sound could originate in the a/c, so I'd be looking elsewhere.  Can you identify the make & model of the a/c unit so we can research it a bit, just to be sure there is no warning beeper in yours?

#1 suspect would the smoke detector (which is probably on the ceiling),  #2 is the LP Gas detector alarm (sensing either a hydrocarbon gas or low voltage), and #3 is the CO detector alarm.  The LP detector probably is powered from the trailer battery, while the others more likely have internal batteries.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I cannot imagine any way a beeping sound could originate in the a/c, so I'd be looking elsewhere.  Can you identify the make & model of the a/c unit so we can research it a bit, just to be sure there is no warning beeper in yours?

#1 suspect would the smoke detector (which is probably on the ceiling),  #2 is the LP Gas detector alarm (sensing either a hydrocarbon gas or low voltage), and #3 is the CO detector alarm.  The LP detector probably is powered from the trailer battery, while the others more likely have internal batteries.

It was definitely not the smoke detector...that was my first thought as well so I took that down and removed the battery...still heard the beeping noise.  I'm thinking it's either #2 or #3 as you described above.  My TT is currently in the storage lot so I have to get back out there to investigate further (and get the A/C unit model).  It is possible that we misidentified the source of the beeping in such a confined space.  Will keep you posted.  Thanks!!!

Just a couple reminders/facts:

1)Carbon Monoxide is slightly lighter than the air we breathe (CO molar mass of 28.0, vice 28.8 for air we breathe). DON"T put your CO detector at or near the floor, rather up a wall somewhat, or even on a ceiling, but not in a corner.

2) Propane is HEAVIER than the air we breathe, so detectors should be lower on a wall, not a ceiling. When there is a leak, it will accumulate at the lowest points such as flooring, storage area, sewer drains, etc.

When you smell something odd, it's not carbon monoxide, but can be attributed to unspent (not fully burned) fuel, and we typically say it's CO. BUT, there is probably significant amounts of CO in the vicinity when fuel is not fully burned.

In all suspicious cases, IMMEDIATELY open door and windows on your way out of the room or camper and let your fan run for several minutes.

And remember, the last guy who tested for unspent propane with his Zippo lighter got a positive response, and is no longer with us.

Kluegs17 said:
Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the board and I apologize in advance for the long post.  My wife and I recently purchased a small 2017 Coachmen Clipper Travel Trailer (Model 17BH, 21.4 feet) to dip our toes in the RV world.  I grew up RV'ing with my parents but this whole experience is new to my wife, so we decided to go the used route to avoid eating all of the depreciation in case she doesn't enjoy it.  We purchased it used from a private seller who had only used it a few times.

Anyway, I got everything cleaned up (in addition to new battery, fresh propane, etc.) and ready to go for our first trip last weekend. 

Friday - Upon my arrival at the storage lot to pick it up, I heard a loud beeping noise coming from inside the unit.  I just assumed it was a low battery on the smoke detector and I would take care of it with some fresh batteries when we got to the campground.  When we arrived at the campground, the unit was no longer beeping.  We set everything up, started the A/C, etc.  3 or 4 hours later, the beeping resumed.  Upon further inspection, I realized that this ear piercing beeping (which could be heard outside with all the doors and windows closed) was coming from the A/C unit and not the smoke detector.  I turned the A/C off for the night and luckily the beeping stopped right before we went to bed.

Saturday - Due to the heat, I fired up the A/C unit again on Saturday.  It ran most of the day on low without issue.  However, around 7 or 8PM the A/C unit started beeping again.  It was so obnoxious and would not stop beeping even when I pulled the plug on the 30 Amp service.  Finally, I disconnected the battery and got the beeping to stop so we could go to bed and avoid disturbing the rest of the campground (at the expense of not having lights, etc inside the unit) for the rest of the evening.

Sunday - Before leaving the campground, I once again connected the battery and the beeping started again within a few minutes (without the A/C running).

Considering the A/C unit was beeping at the storage lot (before I had ever used the A/C) AND while we were at the campground, does anyone have an idea of the root cause?  The A/C runs off of the 30 Amp service, so I'm not sure why this beeping would be triggered by having the battery connected.  Additionally, I had a full hook up site, so even if the new battery was somehow low when I got to the storage lot, it should have recharged after I got to the campground and the beeping should have discontinued.  The A/C unit was beeping whether it was running or not, which makes no sense to me.

Kluegs

What did you find out? I have a beep sound coming from my AC

Thanks

mikec557 said:
Kluegs

What did you find out? I have a beep sound coming from my AC

Thanks

Highly unlikely that the original poster will reply. They haven?t been back for almost a year.
Welcome to the forum.
I?d recommend that you start another post of your own giving us as many details about your problem including the make and model of your AC and what you?ve tried so far to solve your problem.

Another source of the beeping could  be the refrigerator. If the fridge stops cooling you'll get the beeping.

almost guarantee the beep was coming from the CO/Propane detector. Had the same thing happening this spring. really hard to pinpoint the exact location of the beep because it's so loud. I took down a smoke detector thinking that was it...nope...kept looking around the interior as it beeped...finally figured out it was the CO detector, down low by the door as you enter the unit. Then realized they will start to beep not just because a battery is low, but also once they get to a certain age. When i looked at mine the date on it indicated it was like 7 years old! Supposed to be replaced every 5 maximum. Got one on Amazon and all is well now.

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the board and I apologize in advance for the long post. My wife and I recently purchased a small 2017 Coachmen Clipper Travel Trailer (Model 17BH, 21.4 feet) to dip our toes in the RV world. I grew up RV'ing with my parents but this whole experience is new to my wife, so we decided to go the used route to avoid eating all of the depreciation in case she doesn't enjoy it. We purchased it used from a private seller who had only used it a few times. wordle online

Anyway, I got everything cleaned up (in addition to new battery, fresh propane, etc.) and ready to go for our first trip last weekend. wordle game

Friday - Upon my arrival at the storage lot to pick it up, I heard a loud beeping noise coming from inside the unit. I just assumed it was a low battery on the smoke detector and I would take care of it with some fresh batteries when we got to the campground. When we arrived at the campground, the unit was no longer beeping. We set everything up, started the A/C, etc. 3 or 4 hours later, the beeping resumed. Upon further inspection, I realized that this ear piercing beeping (which could be heard outside with all the doors and windows closed) was coming from the A/C unit and not the smoke detector. I turned the A/C off for the night and luckily the beeping stopped right before we went to bed.

Saturday - Due to the heat, I fired up the A/C unit again on Saturday. It ran most of the day on low without issue. However, around 7 or 8PM the A/C unit started beeping again. It was so obnoxious and would not stop beeping even when I pulled the plug on the 30 Amp service. Finally, I disconnected the battery and got the beeping to stop so we could go to bed and avoid disturbing the rest of the campground (at the expense of not having lights, etc inside the unit) for the rest of the evening.

Considering the A/C unit was beeping at the storage lot (before I had ever used the A/C) AND while we were at the campground, does anyone have an idea of the root cause? The A/C runs off of the 30 Amp service, so I'm not sure why this beeping would be triggered by having the battery connected. Additionally, I had a full hook up site, so even if the new battery was somehow low when I got to the storage lot, it should have recharged after I got to the campground and the beeping should have discontinued. The A/C unit was beeping whether it was running or not, which makes no sense to me.

I think you should take it to the dealer or service center to have it checked.

Back
Top Bottom