Travel Trailer Security

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whirlwind

I've recently heard of several travel trailer thefts (or attempte thefts), and I want to do something to secure my travel trailer.

Does anyone use a hitch lock?  Any recommendations?  Any other ideas?

Thanks! 

If its pro thieves you won't stop them with anything less than buckshot. ;) If its not then scare lights some kind of siren even a little blinking light like cars have. Make it look easier to go somewhere else instead of yours. ::) 8) Best to make sure you have GOOD insurance and document ALL items of value with photos.

Agreed... If the RV is left for long periods of time in a unsecured area then you might re-consider where your storing or using the RV. I lock my hitch with just  padlock but knowing that won't stop someone from dragging it off. But I'm normal not to worried I've either got it in my yard behind a locked gate or if it being used the hitch is locked but in a RV park or campground of some sort. Now if I left it on the side of the road or in the middle of nowhere I would be very cautious.

I keep the trailer next to my house, but I do travel often, for several weeks at a time.  I wish I could keep the trailer in my backyard (behind the locked gate), but unfortunately that isn't possible. 

This one keeps them from pulling it anywhere, and doubles as a wheel chock;  http://www.amazon.com/Trimax-TCL65-Wheel-Chock-Lock/dp/B0031XULF2/ref=pd_luc_bxgy_01_04_t_lh

I've got a trailer that I can't get in my back yard, so I use both.  Not that they can't steal it, but I want them to have to work for it.  At the Farm I don't even lock it up, as it's fenced, behind a locked gate, out of sight, and gun shots are a common occurrence.  I've never had a problem back there.

I use a hitchlock, but it's parked next to my  house.  My next door neighbor next to where it's parked is a retired Vet, who's out in his yard a lot, and crossing him would be ill advised.  We watch out for each other....  I doubt it will ever disappear, but the lock is there to keep the honest people honest.  If someone is a pro or determined, it's insured.  If I catch them, they will get a lesson in Texas Castle Doctrine.

Mopar said it best....if you're leaving it someplace dicey, reconsider that choice.

Foto-n-T said:
Sure makes the repo mans life a little more risky doesn't it?

Potentially.  He would be wise to just ring the doorbell and ask for the keys.  Call the sheriff if it doesn't go smoothly.

I paid cash.  We will never meet. 

Frizlefrak said:
Potentially.  He would be wise to just ring the doorbell and ask for the keys.  Call the sheriff if it doesn't go smoothly.

I paid cash.  We will never meet.

Same here paid cash for mine as well...

Usually packing my protection with me. Both "Diesel" the dog and a firearm of some sort. If you think you can escape the Dog then try to escape the bullet... :eek: (Bad idea all the way around!)

RV typically parked here here in the yard. Like right now looking out the window at as I type.

I was looking at removing one tire, and keeping the spare separate. A pain in the rear, but that would do it. Also, there are GPS tracking units available.

RV/Trailer theft isn't one of those "spur of the moment" things like a joyriding teenager. Removing a wheel would certainly slow down the thief but in reality if it was your particular model that they were shopping for it would be extremely easy to put a wheel on it and go. If nothing else, I'd re-think where I was storing it if the problem really bothers you that much.

Foto-n-T said:
RV/Trailer theft isn't one of those "spur of the moment" things like a joyriding teenager. Removing a wheel would certainly slow down the thief but in reality if it was your particular model that they were shopping for it would be extremely easy to put a wheel on it and go. If nothing else, I'd re-think where I was storing it if the problem really bothers you that much.

That pretty much sums it up.

Whirlwind said:
I've recently heard of several travel trailer thefts (or attempte thefts), and I want to do something to secure my travel trailer.

Does anyone use a hitch lock?  Any recommendations?  Any other ideas?

Trailer thefts from campgrounds are vanishingly rare, as are thefts of trailers stored in residential areas.

Most people who have trailers stolen were storing them at a business or industrial location, often inside a locked fence, for a period of several days or more.  These are locations where there is no one physically present to witness a theft, call police, or intervene.

I would also be careful of parking an unoccupied trailer overnight at a hotel, truck stop, etc.

Like others have said...  If a pro wants it,  You cant stop them.

You just have to make it more attractive to go down the street and get some other unit.

Jammer said:
Trailer thefts from campgrounds are vanishingly rare, as are thefts of trailers stored in residential areas.

Most people who have trailers stolen were storing them at a business or industrial location, often inside a locked fence, for a period of several days or more.  These are locations where there is no one physically present to witness a theft, call police, or intervene.

I would also be careful of parking an unoccupied trailer overnight at a hotel, truck stop, etc.

So very true. That just a bad idea with any vehicle or RV.

Kind of why I will not store my RV at the local storage yard because the fact most times out ten the gate is left open and unlocked. I think everyone in town has the combination to the lock so it not very secure. Then since there is no one close by that can watch the storage lot it makes for a good spot to break into someones RV. Creating a jiggle key to unlock any locks on the RV isn't hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwc-AiK0pvY

I protect Fredericka the grand prize winning wannabe roach coach by pulling up in the single lane driveway beside the hous and parking a heavily insured Toyoter in behind it. Aint had no issues. Must work ok..lol. Heard taking a wheel off helps deter the grab it and go crowd.  Biggest threat I have encountered is burglars. An alarm helps. TV cameras. Motion lights. A 150 lb Rotty who lives on the inside etc. Typical target hardening routine. No shrubs over 18" high within 30 feet etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom