Travel trailer tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wasy

Hello,

looking to replace the castle rock tires on my 2021 salem hemisphere 273rl. I’ve seen goodyear endurance advertised in rv mag. Also maxxis seem to have good things said about them any thoughts or recommendations.
thank you

We went for the Carlyle having spoken to a few tire companies and fitters that don't like the Goodyear as the side walls are too hard.

We have Goodyear trailer tires on our utility trailer, boat trailer, and 25 foot travel trailer. Our speed limits are 80 MPH in nearby Utah and Wyoming. Our speed limit is 75 MPH. 87 MPH speed rating on the Goodyear. We travel at the speed limits so there's a minimum of a 7 MPH buffer. If you feel more comfortable being in front of triple trailer rigs coming up fast on your rear end at 80 MPH then get the Maxxis. They're rated to 65 MPH maximum under load. A 7 MPH buffer would mean doing 58 MPH in 80 MPH speed zones.

"What is the speed rating for Maxxis trailer tires?
65 mph
We follow the Tire and Rim Association's guidelines for trailer tire speed which is set at 65 mph. Though the tire itself without any load may be rated for higher, we do not recommend going faster than 65 mph."

Graphic-Goodyear.jpg

Last edited:
Hankook trailer tires are also rated at 87 MPH. Not that I would want to tow that fast. I'm happy with the Endurance.

On my last travel trailer (a Keystone Outback - 35 feet long), I replaced the original tires with Carlisle's. The trailer before that, replaced the original tires with Carlisle's also.

My current fifth wheel? I'm running them on Hercules. (absolutely a great tire). I recommend them. 14 ply with a speed rating much faster than I like to tow.

Thanksgiving 2019, bought my my Bigfoot 21 ft trailer. It has much larger than needed tires (ST225/75R15) for a tandem axle 7500 lb gross weight trailer. It had 2017 dated Hercules ST2 tires on it. I had heard good things about Hercules and figured they were OK. The spare was a 2007 dated GY Marathon (original to the trailer) and had never been on the ground. I replaced the spare with a new GY Endurance before the first trip. Put the Marathon on a 5x10 utility trailer where it still is. (the tire on the utility trailer had recently disintergrated due to age and more importantly, being on the south side the way the trailer was parked.)

52 mile ride home from the seller. Then about 250 mile trip to try the trailer out. Second trip out, got on the interstate about 11 miles from the house, about 4 miles up the Interstate, not even to the next exit, someone passes me honking their horn. About then I could hear a noise, pulled over. Found the right rear tire with no tread. The entire tread portion of the tire was gone, leaving the two sidewalls on the rim.

I changed the wheel, got off at the next exit, and started calling trying to find a GY Endurance. Ended up going to the local GY store and getting a new one installed and continued on the trip.

Returning home, I started removing tires to replace them. Spare was on a steel rim, so it went on the back, the one new tire stayed on. The tire in front of the blow wheel had metal wire embedded in it, so I scrapped it. On the left side. One had cracks in the rubber at the bottom of the tread, running fully around the tire. This may be what happened to the blown tire, so it too was scrap. The other tire showed no signs of problems, so I installed it on the utility trailer to replace a 1999 dated passenger car tire that I had put on it used, some years earlier. That tire was weather checked all over, but was on the north side as it was parked and not exposed to the direct sun.

Anyhow, now I have 5 GY Endurance tires. Bigfoot recommended tire pressure is 35 and the GY ST tire pressure chart is about the same. I have been running them at 65 psi for close to 8000 miles now and they seem to be wearing even, don't run hot (checking them with a cheap HF IR gun often) and I've been pleased with them. I just cannot bring myself to run them at 35 or close to that. The trailer runs smooth and doesn't seem to get beat too hard (it has shocks also). One of the new ones had a LOT of balance weight, so the next day I went back to Discount Tire and complained. The manager himself took it back and ran it on the balancer and found a indent in the sidewall he said was where some fabric had failed to meet or overlap. He ordered in a new one and replaced it.

When I swapped the tires to new Sendel wheels in 2021 I installed Dill all metal valve stems and Centramatic balancers along with having them balanced at the tire store. The tires run glassy smooth on a good road. These tires never seem to lose any pressure either, which I attribute, in part, to the metal valve stems rather than the snap in rubber ones

I recently installed a Lippert Tire Linc® RV Tire Pressure and Temperature Monitoring System (TPMS) on the trailer tires, but have not tried it out on the road.

Charles

Attachments

• Blown Hercules Tire July 2020.jpg
    Blown Hercules Tire July 2020.jpg
    895.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Wheel wide view installed on trailer.jpg
    Wheel wide view installed on trailer.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 8
I can say that I don’t ever remember seeing a UHaul trailer broke down on the side of the road because of a flat tire. I wonder what brand they use? Are they truck tires?

The LUAH-U trailers that we have in Colorado and Utah (80 MPH speed limit) broken down on the side of the road have Carlisle ST tires. Maximum speed of U-haul towing is 55 MPH.

download (1).jpeg
image005(1).jpg

Tires don't look flat on trailer. However, aren't they supposed to be on the bottom of the trailer rather than on top?

The ST tires on top are not 3PMSF winter rated. The bottom in the photo (top?) of the trailer probably tows safer during winter as a sled. Never thought otherwise due to that's how we see them on the side of the road.

CharlesineGA, are you saying the tire that went bad was a Hercules?​

That is correct, Hercules ST2 series. Look down inside the tread (wished I had taken photos) continuous crack running all the way around the tire, on both outer treads and possibly elsewhere, don't recall now. Tires were properly inflated, ran nice and smooth, till it didn't. The one with the wires embedded in it was fine otherwise, it was simply "in the wrong place at the wrong time"

Which reminds me, I need to closely examine the tires I moved to the utility trailer (which stays close to home)

In the future I'll stick with GY Endurance or Hankooks as a second choice. (simply based on Hankook reputation on their car and truck tires).

Charles

So is the general consensus to just run with the Goodyears?

Anyone run the Providers?

It doesn't look like there are many good options when you need a Class D radial in a 14".

I have lived the china bomb story (Twice, not fun). I have since run Goodyears. My camping bubbies all run Goodyears. We have not experianced problems with Goodyears. Until there is a problem, there is no problem.

Back
Top Bottom