Travel trailers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

becky

I'm new to getting a travel trailer. I'm looking to spend under $5000. Does anyone have any reccommendations or ones that I should stay away from?
Thanks,
Becky

becky said:
I'm new to getting a travel trailer. I'm looking to spend under $5000. Does anyone have any reccommendations or ones that I should stay away from?
Thanks,
Becky

You are going to buy used.  Probably 26 feet on down.  Look for general condition.  Tires should not be over 5 years old or you are going to have to replace them.  Make the seller demonstrate all the appliances -- fridge, airconditioning, water heater, furnace, water pump, and toilet.  Be sure that there are no soft spots in the floor.  Eyeball the trailer to see that it sits roughly level side to side.  If there are slide outs, make the seller operate them. 

Tires should not be over 5 years old or you are going to have to replace them.  In fact you can almost assume that will happen.  Same with batteries.

Be sure that your tow vehicle can pull the maximum vehicle weight rating of the trailer.  Tow ratings are available for the past 5 years of vehicles in the Trailer Life website.  Allow a 10-20% safety factor in those ratings.  In fact, you should know that rating before you start looking at trailers. 

Welcome to RVForum, Becky.

Carl's advice is good (as usual) and I heartily recommend following it.  When you find a trailer that seems right for you, ask questions about it here BEFORE signing a contract.

Just my two cent... 
When you found the trailer you like, try to take somebody, who is more experienced than you, to have a look at it before buying.
Never bye the first time/day you see the trailer.
Well, thats how I would do it.

Becky,

Welcome to the RV Forum.? We are glad you found us.? Please join in the ongoing discussions, start new discussions, or ask any questions you might have relating to the RVing lifestyle.

I is a good idea to have a friend that is experienced take a look before buying a rig if at all possible.? Keep asking questions here as they come to mind.? Lot of help available here.

Back
Top Bottom