TRAVELLING TO KENTUCKY TO VISIT DISTILLERIES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7THSON

I plan on driving to the Wild Turkey and Makers Mark distilleries in Kentucky at the end of July. I have tours on the 29th (Wild Turkey) and 30th (Makers Mark) of July. I am travelling from Manassas, Virginia to Frankfort, Kentucky. I have a 2022 Thor Freedom Elite (22 FT). This will be my second trip in this RV. My first was to Tennessee.

I am thinking of taking Interstate(I) 66 West to I81; I81 North to Winchester and get on State Road (SR) 522 North; SR522 North to I68; I68 West to I79 South; I79 South to I64; I64 West to Elkhorn Campground

OR

I66 West to I81; I81 South to I64; I64 West to Elkhorn Campground.

The first route is 577 miles (over 9 1/2 hours) and the second route is 547 miles (a little over 9 hours) at 60MPH.

Some questions - Which is the best route? Are there low bridges or any hazards I should be aware of? How mountanous or winding are the Interstates? Anything I should be aware of? I am thinking of breaking the trip into 2 days.

I am new to the RV world and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I wouldn't worry about the interstates. They are the least mountainous or winding when it comes to travel. Less so than any state road I know of.

Try to fit in a tour of the Independent Stave Company in Lebanon, KY to watch how whiskey barrels are made. Fascinating!

Why limit yourself to just two distillers? There's an entire Bourbon Trail to explore! We didn't finish the Trail, but explored about half of it. Each tour is a bit different and you'll end up tasting some marvelous spirits.

Why limit yourself to just two distillers? There's an entire Bourbon Trail to explore! We didn't finish the Trail, but explored about half of it. Each tour is a bit different and you'll end up tasting some marvelous spirits.
Thank you for the information. I may do that next year.

FYI -- the Bourbon Trail is limited to those distilleries who pay (big bucks!) to be on the Bourbon Trail. Smaller ones such as Willett Distillery offer a more personal tour. Google what's around where you'll be. I found the large distilleries to be pretty similar altho Jim Beam's was the best. And the aroma in the rick houses where the barrels are aged is unforgettable! Enjoy your time!

Back
Top Bottom