Treadmill won't work in RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trucker

Hello

My Treadmill is not working on a 3000 Watt Inverter with a running 5000 Watt RV-Generator.
Using the AC outlet in the RV with the running Generator, it kills the 15 Amp Fuse instantly.
When I use the 50 Amp Campground Power it won't work either.
The “KILL A WATT® P3” Unit shows that the Treadmill uses only 5 Amps and 330 Watt.
I have to run an Extension Cord to a Building AC Outlet with a 15 Amp Fuse to make it work.
How can I power the Treadmill in the RV while I'm boondocking?
Thanks

Lone Wolf, Canada
Stay safe everybody!

1. If your generator is running, the inverter should be out of the picture.
2. AC circuits are protected with breakers, not fuses.

So questions at this point would be, what 15A fuse is blowing? Did you try different AC outlets to power the treadmill from? Electrically there shouldn't be any difference between genset and shore power to the outlets, so need to narrow down what you've tried and what's happening.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The initial start up of the treadmill will draw considerably more than the 5 amp continuous rating you describe. If you are using an inverter, the start up draw will be very high and higher than a shore power connection because of a perceived voltage drop. Weight on the treadmill is another factor.

A breaker is typically spec'd for 2X rated current for at least 30 seconds, so startup currents shouldn't be an issue. My guess is that this is on an already overloaded circuit, the observed cause/effect isn't correct or there's something wonky going on like a tripping GFCI.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Using the AC outlet in the RV with the running Generator, it kills the 15 Amp Fuse instantly.
What 15A fuse? Fuses are typically for DC powered items, so not sure how this fits into the picture. Similar question for the 3000W inverter - if the generator is running, how is the inverter involved? If at all.

You also mentioned using 50A campground power. Is that via the RV (plugged to the campsite outlet) or is the treadmill plugged directly to the campsite power via some sort of adapter.

If all of these power source alternatives involve the treadmill plugged to an outlet inside the RV, you must have a wiring issue inside the RV. Further guesses as to what it may be depend on what that 15A fuse is.

A breaker is typically spec'd for 2X rated current for at least 30 seconds, so startup currents shouldn't be an issue. My guess is that this is on an already overloaded circuit, the observed cause/effect isn't correct or there's something wonky going on like a tripping GFCI.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
There are variables in the tripping delay. Full delay would only be realized from zero amps, in cool surroundings and 30 amps is applied. It could be easily less than 5 seconds.

It is possible the breaker is bad or the buss bar connection to the breaker is bad.

Try replacing the breaker. They are cheap maybe $10. It is always best to install a new one but swapping one with the same value from another circuit is ok. Check the bus bar in the panel and the wire to the breaker for tightness.

Also........ Are you sure it's rating is 5 amps? Seems likely to be closer to 10-15 amps.

Another consideration would be to find out what else is serviced by the 15 amp breaker.

Last edited:
In My rig there were 3 (technically 8) special outlets
Two were 15/20 amp Duplex outlets (T shaped neutral slot) each wired via 12ga to a breaker (one 15 one 20) and the other a quad box (two duplex side by side one GFCI the other chained off it) also 12 ga to a dedicated breaker.

This is very rare, normally only one hard to find or possibly 2 outlets are dedicated

The washing machine outlet if pre-wired for it and I had a plug in converter.

Generally there is something else on that circuit.

Since he can run the treadmill using an extension cord to a nearby building, but not with any other source, I would suspect a miswire somewhere within the RV. He doesn't say, but if he must plug the shore service power cord into a special outlet to use the generator, it could be in the power cord. Otherwise, it could be a miswired circuit or, more likely since he reports no other problem, a miswire in the treadmill.

In answer to the question as to how operate the treadmill while boondocking (assuming repair of the initial problem), he will have to use the generator.

We are about to buy a used motorhome, probably old and not too big…we are planning to do full time rving, family of 2 parents and 2 teens plus our 2 dogs.

Since we love workout we are thinking of bringing the rv a treadmill, around 200 lb.

We are aware to the option of running outdoors, but we live in Canada ,and during winter time it is almost impossible.

Be a gym members is an option as well, since we will stay in the same area for some time, but we really prefer to have on in the rv.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it, might have a treadmill in the rv , that can advise us with this issue.

We are aware to the weight issue, but we thought that based on the fact that the rv is meant for 6 people, and we are 4 plus 2 dogs that are like one person, so it comes to 5 , and than this treadmill will be like the 6th person, a little bit over weight person…

If you have any input on the matter, please feel free to help us out with this issue.

Thank you

Treadmill in an RV? Why? Why not just go outside for a nice long walk in the fresh air?

Same reason thousands of folks drive to the RV park every weekend, set up the BBQ grill, the patio like a backyard, roll out the quads, aim the satellite dish, fire up the genny, charge all the kids' iPads, plug in their xBox and then watch football all weekend - LOL...

"Forest? What forest? I didn't even see any trees..."

One year old thread but I had to respond...

@janie2 - Looks like the OP on this never came back with a resolution. It appears the consensus was there was something wrong inside the RV systems. Before you load your treadmill inside your RV I would run an extension cord from the outlet inside the RV and make sure the treadmill runs off RV power.

Here's something similar to what we used in our Motorhome - easily stored/travelled in the shower... No power required and you can easily move it inside/outside/etc.

Screen Shot 2022-05-09 at 1.10.34 PM.png

We are about to buy a used motorhome, probably old and not too big…we are planning to do full time rving, family of 2 parents and 2 teens plus our 2 dogs.

Since we love workout we are thinking of bringing the rv a treadmill, around 200 lb.

We are aware to the option of running outdoors, but we live in Canada ,and during winter time it is almost impossible.

Be a gym members is an option as well, since we will stay in the same area for some time, but we really prefer to have on in the rv.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it, might have a treadmill in the rv , that can advise us with this issue.

We are aware to the weight issue, but we thought that based on the fact that the rv is meant for 6 people, and we are 4 plus 2 dogs that are like one person, so it comes to 5 , and than this treadmill will be like the 6th person, a little bit over weight person…

If you have any input on the matter, please feel free to help us out with this issue.

Thank you
There was no resolution to the OP in this thread. Could have been several things. My guess is that the treadmill was sharing a circuit with something else and the breaker tripped or the treadmill was using a little more power than what was posted and when your powering from batteries with an inverter, that brings lots of other factors too.

Your RV will be quite full with your family and all that you bring with you. A treadmill takes up lots of space and will need to lift, fold and store somewhere. Another factor is the confined space of the rv with all the perspiration and body odor associated with cardio workouts. If you can open vents and turn on fans, that will be ok but if you are using air conditioning or heat, probably not a friendly choice.

It is best to try and reduce the need for inside equipment by changing what types of exercise and how often. Speed walking is good. Riding a bike when able is good. Lots of things you can do outside with basic things like a jump rope and free weights. Staying at parks with a workout room is good too and they are becoming more popular. Smaller versions of cardio devices like the one posted above are good and during those times when you need a full workout, try and stay at places that are close to a full gym. There are gyms that are nationwide with membership fees that allow use nationwide.

Last edited:
There was no resolution to the OP in this thread.
Part of the reason it was not resolved is the fact that he made that post and then never returned to see what responses he got. His problem was pretty unique, if accurate.
I have not but we have friends who take one from Iowa to south Texas each winter and use it in their fifth wheel, then return to Iowa to use it there. I'm not sure how many years that they have done so, but I know for sure that it has been more than 5 winters.

Back
Top Bottom