Treadmill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chameleonxanth

Hello again, everyone.

Hoping you are all well this day.  :)

Another RV quality of life-type question to throw out there:  I use a treadmill three times a day for small sessions to keep exercised and, when contemplating my future RV life, am concerned about the availability of the smaller, much lighter version I will need to fit comfortably in an RV.

I've done a little bit of research (Amazon/Google Images), but haven't been able to find anything. Is anyone here aware of a treadmill, preferably electric, that is lightweight and portable enough to be used in an RV?

Side note: I cannot simply walk outside three times daily for reasons I won't bore you all with, now.  :)

Thank you in advance. :)

Good that you are giving some thought to the lifestyle changes that often come with RV living.  This is an example of the dozens of reasons why you probably want/need a larger and more capable RV than you might initially think. 

There are mini and portable treadmills advertised, but probably none on a par with what you likely have at home. And deploying/stowing the folding ones 3x each day gets to be a nuisance that leads to not using them. Far better to have space to leave it mostly set-up, maybe leaning on a wall or whatever. Or perhaps carry it in basement storage and get it out at each campsite and leave it out until departure. Maybe set up outdoors?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mini-Treadmill-for-Home-Use-Folding-Assembly-Free-Running-Machine-LED-Display-Health-Fitness-Treadmill/858861262

https://www.amazon.com/Treadmill-Portable-Folding-Incline-Exercise/dp/B013THFRZS

Taking a treadmill along with you would be pretty tough, especially an electric one that would potentially add a lot of weight... a major issue for RV travel. Aside from the weight, securely anchoring the treadmill down could be an issue (you certainly don't want something that big/heavy unsecure while moving) and I'm not sure many RV chassis would be up for the constant pounding that treadmills often experience. Although you sound like you may be doing more gentle walking, and not indoor long-distance running.

An alternative would be to camp at locations that are near gyms or other public-use workout facilities. If you have a membership at a nationwide chain like Gold's Gym / L.A. Fitness / Anytime Fitness, there's a chance you could get access to other locations anywhere in the U.S. Perhaps there are also other exercises that will give you the same benefits as treadmill work, and could be more easily accomplished while camping.

scottydl said:
Taking a treadmill along with you would be pretty tough, especially an electric one that would potentially add a lot of weight... a major issue for RV travel. Aside from the weight, securely anchoring the treadmill down could be an issue (you certainly don't want something that big/heavy unsecure while moving) and I'm not sure many RV chassis would be up for the constant pounding that treadmills often experience. Although you sound like you may be doing more gentle walking, and not indoor long-distance running.

An alternative would be to camp at locations that are near gyms or other public-use workout facilities. If you have a membership at a nationwide chain like Gold's Gym / L.A. Fitness / Anytime Fitness, there's a chance you could get access to other locations anywhere in the U.S. Perhaps there are also other exercises that will give you the same benefits as treadmill work, and could be more easily accomplished while camping.

Yes, that's what I was thinking, that a standard treadmill would be way too heavy and draw too much power to be workable in an RV.

You're right about my being gentle on the machine, walking at a moderate pace, using the incline feature for the cardio aspect (which is one of the reasons I need an automated/electric version). 

Good idea about camp facilities/gyms, thank you.  :)

scottydl said:

Planet Fitness is another one. They have over 1500 gyms nationwide. $10.00 a month.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Good that you are giving some thought to the lifestyle changes that often come with RV living.  This is an example of the dozens of reasons why you probably want/need a larger and more capable RV than you might initially think. 

There are mini and portable treadmills advertised, but probably none on a par with what you likely have at home. And deploying/stowing the folding ones 3x each day gets to be a nuisance that leads to not using them. Far better to have space to leave it mostly set-up, maybe leaning on a wall or whatever. Or perhaps carry it in basement storage and get it out at each campsite and leave it out until departure. Maybe set up outdoors?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mini-Treadmill-for-Home-Use-Folding-Assembly-Free-Running-Machine-LED-Display-Health-Fitness-Treadmill/858861262

https://www.amazon.com/Treadmill-Portable-Folding-Incline-Exercise/dp/B013THFRZS

Thank you for this information and the links.  :) 

The non-electric ones look so inviting, portable, lightweight, but this comment on one of them, "Because it is manual, be prepared to step heavy and hard to make it work. " is the main reason they are not a viable choice for me.  Too bad because otherwise a non-electric, portable would be ideal. 

This one, from the link you provided, has promise, however.  :)  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Weslo-Cadence-G-5-9i-Folding-Treadmill/45799822?athcpid=45799822&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVUB&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=466001f5-4f24ccfd-49352d5a5ce73d3b&athena=true

It's a little pricey, but I have time to save up. 

I think it would be workable to store while in motion and leave it set up when we're settled as we are not planning, as of now anyway, to be traveling too often.  My thought, from this point in time, is that we will likely be staying a season at a time in different parks, following good (also known as autumn) weather.

It's a couple years away, however, so I don't know what will change between now and then.  Maybe we'll spend the first six months traveling a lot and seeing the country. 

Whatever we do though, I do need to exercise throughout the day.

Thank you again for the post and the links.  :)

Gary RV_Wizard said:

Forgot to include the picture of the one that looks workable. 
Here it is.  :)

Attachments

• b09d6063-efe2-44e5-bff0-97d653aa95a9_1.4829b3fc50237806199628c721639ef8.jpeg
    b09d6063-efe2-44e5-bff0-97d653aa95a9_1.4829b3fc50237806199628c721639ef8.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 14
just so you know, the $10 membership at Planet Fitness is only for the "home" club. $21.99 to have use at other clubs. Still not a bad deal if one uses it.

https://www.planetfitness.com/gym-memberships

darsben said:
If you have private insurance see if it might cover your membership fees

I have Kaiser.  But this, the gym membership will be the last resort for me as I really would very much prefer a lightweight treadmill in the RV. 

Thank you for the tip.  :)

kdbgoat said:
just so you know, the $10 membership at Planet Fitness is only for the "home" club. $21.99 to have use at other clubs. Still not a bad deal if one uses it.

https://www.planetfitness.com/gym-memberships

Okay, good to know.  Thank you.  :)

I recently purchased an exercise bike and installed it in my fifth wheel. I am very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZJ3FX6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of the smaller toy haulers, either towable or fifth wheel, would give a dedicated space for a treadmill and other gym equipment.

Jim828 said:
One of the smaller toy haulers, either towable or fifth wheel, would give a dedicated space for a treadmill and other gym equipment.

What is a toy hauler?  Really new and know nothing about RV living, yet.  :)

SeilerBird said:
I recently purchased an exercise bike and installed it in my fifth wheel. I am very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZJ3FX6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you for this. :)  A bike is not an option for me, but I appreciate the link and the idea.  :)

Chameleonxanth said:
What is a toy hauler?  Really new and know nothing about RV living, yet.  :)

A toy hauler is an RV that has a rear ramp and space to haul golf carts, ATVs and such. The "garage" style area could work well, but you don't find those in small units. The trailers are usually 5th wheel units (though there are some travel trailers) that will probably require at least a 3/4 ton pickup (mimimum) to pull it. I've never come across such in a motorhome.

I see you're a Piers Anthony fan.

Larry N. said:
A toy hauler is an RV that has a rear ramp and space to haul golf carts, ATVs and such. The "garage" style area could work well, but you don't find those in small units.

Additionally, the "toys" hauled are usually unloaded at their destination, and then the garage area converts back into living space. So the owner is able to easily load/haul/unload big cargo on wheels, and then re-purpose that area back into RV functionality while camping. That wouldn't be the case with a treadmill obviously. ;)

Larry N. said:
A toy hauler is an RV that has a rear ramp and space to haul golf carts, ATVs and such. The "garage" style area could work well, but you don't find those in small units. The trailers are usually 5th wheel units (though there are some travel trailers) that will probably require at least a 3/4 ton pickup (mimimum) to pull it. I've never come across such in a motorhome.

I see you're a Piers Anthony fan.

I'm kind of envisioning something I can store in the under-storage area when in motion and leave set up (or folded) when at a site.

But I am a little better informed now, which is my goal here, so thank you for the information.  :)

I am a Piers Anthony fan (or used to be) and hella impressed you picked that up!  You are, I think, maybe the second person to get that in the four years or so I've had this screen name.

Larry N. said:
A toy hauler is an RV that has a rear ramp and space to haul golf carts, ATVs and such. I've never come across such in a motorhome.

Thor Outlaw is a toy hauler class A

Back
Top Bottom