Treating a rubber roof after cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

COMer

I attended an RV seminar today, near Cleveland, and the factory rep from Dometic was there along with another fellow who claimed he was an expect on chemicals and additives for RVers.  The Dometic guy said he had just attended a conference where industry reps were discussing the value of a protectant on a rubber roof after cleaning.  They said that they determined there was no value at all but that because customers didn't believe them, they continued to produce and sell a product.  But the industry determination was that there was no need or benefit to a protectant.

Very interesting! And makes you wonder how many other RV products are being sold and are totally not necessary.

COMer said:
I attended an RV seminar today, near Cleveland, and the factory rep from Dometic was there along with another fellow who claimed he was an expect on chemicals and additives for RVers.  The Dometic guy said he had just attended a conference where industry reps were discussing the value of a protectant on a rubber roof after cleaning.  They said that they determined there was no value at all but that because customers didn't believe them, they continued to produce and sell a product.  But the industry determination was that there was no need or benefit to a protectant.

Love it.... Actually they continue to produce them in order to separate fools from their money.  I have long agreed with that rep and thus do not use anything on the roof but Spic & Span and water.  (And the proper application tools).

Works great.  But why a Dometic rep would claim to be expert of roofing.. That's Dicor's job.

WFD said:
Very interesting! And makes you wonder how many other RV products are being sold and are totally not necessary.

Just about anything to do with an RV toilet, like paper and chemicals.

I talked wit a guy that replaces the roof after they are treated. He was telling me that the stuff they sell will damage the roof and then he gets to replace them. He told me you should use spic and span to clean and that was all that you need. I was not sure to believe what he was telling me but will be interested to see what folks say on this post.

...industry reps were discussing the value of a protectant on a rubber roof after cleaning.  They said that they determined there was no value at all but that because customers didn't believe them...

We've been telling folks that here for years, but they still keep wanting to "treat" or "coat" their roofs. Even the fiberglass ones!
People get paranoid about leaks (and probably should be), but lack useful information about what they should be doing to reduce the risk.

I figured my listing would be confirmation for people who have been saying this for years.  Like Gary.  But now the industry has apparently admitted what we have been told here.

As far as why the Dometic rep had an opinion, they are involved in more stuff than I realized.  For example, they own Atwood and he mentioned that Atwood had some interests that have expanded their line.  Maybe he is just interested in "all things RV" and wanted to be able to help people at seminars.

I've had my RV going on 14 years.  Never been stored under cover.  I wash the TPO roof 2 or 3 times a year with Dawn and bleach.  It looks about 90% of new.

One other thing they said.  If you get mold, or mildew or black stuff on the rubber roof, clean it with hydrogen peroxide.  They shuddered at somebody's mention they used bleach and told of stories about bleach ruining a rubber roof.  Use peroxide.

One other thing they said.  If you get mold, or mildew or black stuff on the rubber roof, clean it with hydrogen peroxide.  They shuddered at somebody's mention they used bleach and told of stories about bleach ruining a rubber roof.  Use peroxide.

Well, that kind of destroys the guy's credibility. Dicor, the manufactuer of EPDM rubber roofing for RVs, recommends using bleach products to remove mold and mildew from their roofs. Tilex is their preferred cleaner and plain old bleach is its active ingredient for  mold.

The only thing I know of that is strongly cautioned against is petroleum solvents (mineral spirits, acetone, kerosene, etc.), and even those are ok if used sparingly, i.e. on a dampened cloth only.

Another recommendation:  Mix a cup off OXYCLEAN laundry powder in a 5 gallon pail of lukewarm water and use as if it werer Bleach.  Oxyclean contains Peroxide and works like a charm to kill Mold and Algae and is non-toxic to skin and plants.
  I used it to clean my Pool screens that where heavily invaded by a thick layer of Algae and mold.

carson said:
Another recommendation:  Mix a cup off OXYCLEAN laundry powder in a 5 gallon pail of lukewarm water and use as if it werer Bleach.  Oxyclean contains Peroxide and works like a charm to kill Mold and Algae and is non-toxic to skin and plants.
  I used it to clean my Pool screens that where heavily invaded by a thick layer of Algae and mold.

Think I'll try that this year. I always use dawn and bleach or liquid tide and bleach, but it makes the roof pretty slippery. I have to park under trees at my place and have cut them up about 6ft above the roof line but still get the black mold spots. I've never treated the epdm roofing but go over the joints every spring. My roof still looks real good, but my buddies roof on his Storm is showing a lot of black and it's a year newer than my coach. Don't think his is EPDM, he's going to prime and recoat his this spring.

Just curious, what is it about Spic and Span that makes it a recommended cleaner for roofs, or do other household cleaning products work equally as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom