Tricycle Motorcycles, what's the deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I followed a Slingshot down the road yesterday. Have to say that they were having a lot more fun in traffic than I was!

Trikes take the same room in the garage as a Miata,... they cost about the same as a Miata, ... and you don't need a helmet or a special license to drive a Miata.

you might as well either drive a sports car.... or put on a helmet and ride a motorcycle

yeah, i've gotta say that looks more like it!

OK, so summing up this thread....
Is there really any reason other than physical disability why a person would choose a trike over a bike? (2 in the front or 2 in the rear..... either way)

I would say personal taste, utilitarian needs, and as mentioned physical requirements. 

Another feature of trikes & hacks is the upper body strength needed to manhandle these. Especially a hack if it isn't set up right.

Corky

ok,  the perfect compromise vehicle....

Attachments

• smart trike.jpg
    smart trike.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 42
blw2 said:
yeah, i've gotta say that looks more like it!

OK, so summing up this thread....
Is there really any reason other than physical disability why a person would choose a trike over a bike? (2 in the front or 2 in the rear..... either way)

Brad to me it would be peace of mind, you can relax a little more. At 79 I am still on two wheels an still enjoy the ride. When I get to the point that I don't enjoy the ride then I plan to trike my two wheels. I am leaning toward this http://thekneeslider.com/r18-reverse-trike-kit-for-the-honda-gold-wing-gl1800-and-f6b/ or this one http://thekneeslider.com/honda-gold-wing-quad-from-hannigan-motorsports/ Next week we are heading out to Wing Ding motorcycle Rally in Billings MT. I hope to do some demo rides to see how they compare ;D

My wife had ridden hundreds of thousands of miles as a passenger on my motorcycles over the years. Then she started seeing the Harley trikes on a cross country trip in 2009 and said she wanted one of her own. She had taken a motorcycle training course many years earlier but was very uncomfortable operating on two wheels. She had never ridden a bicycle as a child and did not care to do so. We bought her the trike in 2010 and she put 14,000 miles on it in the first year. We’ve since ridden coast to coast.

Attachments

• 20EDAB14-47F0-4718-B403-047D8313FF2E.jpeg
    20EDAB14-47F0-4718-B403-047D8313FF2E.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 15
I’ve put several thousand miles on a CanAm Spyder (2 wheels front) and a Gold Wing Roadsmith trike (2 in the back). I had an injury that severely hindered my 2 wheel riding for about 3 years. I found either trike easily maneuverable around town. I felt much more stable at freeway speeds on the trike with 2 wheels in the back. Pretty equal braking. I felt much better control on the Gold Wing trike in turns and certainly in strong crosswinds. I never once had the Wing trike on two wheels but I did get the Spyder on two wheels twice at lower speeds and once at around 55 mph. It was a rude awakening.

We have a 2004 Goldwing that has the Motor Trike kit installed and a 2005 Harley that also has the Motor Trike kit installed on it. As for as driving we have not had any problems with stability. The only problem with the single wheel front trikes is you don't lean into the curves like on two wheels. You have to use your arms to push the handle bars to turn. They do make rake kits that is supposed to help make it easier to steer. Two wheels is more fun to ride than the trikes to me but the wife has some health problems that makes riding two wheels impossible but with the trikes she can still ride.

I can tell you from experience, a 3 degree rake is very helpful, a 5 degree rake is like adding power steering to a standard trike. The front triked CanAm Spyder is electrically assisted steering.

So my wife dreams of getting a motorcycle for use as a toad once my kids move out of the picture....
Every time we are out on an RV trip and she sees one of those tricycle bikes she comments about this idea of hers. I think she like the look of them, thinking they look more stable.

I used to ride motorcycles years ago, having grown up riding dirt and MX bikes as a kid, and I had a mid sized street bike back in my 20's. I have mixed feelings about the idea of these tricycles

It looks like those newer style ones, such as Can-Am, with two front wheels would be better in my thinking, but it's the old fashioned ones that catch her eye.

Memories of the old stories about those 3 wheeled ATV's, and about how dangerous they were, are what I think of how many wheels does a tricycle have.... and how you just don't see them anymore...having been replaced by the 4x versions

Not that I'm thinking about getting into it any time soon, just a curiosity point for discussion.....
Tricycle.... pros? cons? comments?
This might be a strange question but I'm looking for other riders experience. I just made the change from being a biker to a full time triker. In the past I had a Harley Road Glide I rode solo and when Kathy wanted to go along I rode our 2012 GW CSC Trike. I decided at 70 it was time for me to move to being a full time triker. Every summer a group of us have several touring trips. Last year we went from Northern Kentucky to Canada. This year we went from Kentucky to Rocky Mountains, Yellowstone and Sturgis, 4400 miles and 15 days. What differences will I notice touring on my trike versus my Harley? Anything I need to watch on the GW on long tours? I did notice a lot more trikes touring during our trip out west this July. Comments are appreciated.

Consider a convertible for your toad. You can be in the wind when you want and warm and dry on those days you need cover. (I am prepping our Wrangler for toad duty whether I ever hitch it up or not)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom