Trimming and refinishing rug edges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

Today I bought a non-skid rug for the entry way.  It runs along the entry hall and down the inside step.  It very nicely fits the width of my hall, but the step is a tad narrower.  I'd like to cut the rug down along one side to fit neatly against the side wall of the step and along the side of the step floor.  The rug is finished with an overcast along the edges.  The yarn seems thinner than knitting yarn.  I'm not familiar with crochet yarn.  I'm wondering what kind of needle to ask for and what kind of thread or yarn would make sense to finish the edge of this rug if I notch the rug to make it fit the step.  Picture available.  These are inexpensive, washable rugs, so I don't want to do a whole lot of work on something I may replace.

I'm not sure, but I think I can figure out how to do the overcast stitch.

--pat

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
They generally use a heavy thread to bind carpet, not a yarn.  The threads used to stitch canvas should work well.  Should be available in sewing or fabric shops. 

There is also a carpet binding "tape" that can be used.  The tape is a long strip of fabric that is sewn to the edges. It is available in several colors.  You don't use an overcast stitch with the tape - it is sewn to the top of the carpet first, then folded back over itself to hide the stitches and pulled tight over the edge and top-stitched to the back of the carpet. Gives a nice professional look.

If the carpet is worth it, most carpet shops should be able to professionally bind the edges for you.

Lorna

Pat we also bought a runner for the entrance steps from Home Depot.  You could cut it to the length you wanted and then they also sold a matching tape that looked like the runner edges to finish off the ends.  The runner fit perfectly into entrance steps.  I also bought the same runner for in front of the sink.  It had a southwestern design on it.  They had other patterns too.  The tape had a sticky backing so there was no sewing involved at all. It came in lengths the width of the runner so you could use that to bind your runner.

Pat

Good idea to take it to a rug place.  There is one here in Oakridge.

I was in Springfield-Eugene and could have gone to Home Depot.  I keep forgetting they have rugs.  I really like the way this rug sticks to the floor. Neatens the place up. 

Once I cut off the edges going down to the step, I'll have a sample to take with to get the thread or to see about having it finished. 

--pat

Top Bottom