Trip of a life time is starting to get ruined Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HikerBob

We are the ones with the thread Good Sams not so good. We are on 93 day RV trip from Michigan to the west coast and back. Our RV broke down in Denver. Its going to be broke for about 1 more week. We are at Arches N.P now and our next stop which is Bryce canyon. The sits there are first come. We want to be there from May 20 to 22. The next stop is Zion. We have camp sites for that from May 22 to 28. Our RV will be hopefully ready to pick up on May 25.
We thought of renting a small trailer buy can't find one. We might stay at hotels. If we move on I would fly back from Las Vagas to Denver to pick it up.
What kind of help am I looking for here. I have no clue.

Sorry youre having this trouble Bob.

Looks like several cheap places still have rooms for the Bryce dates according to Google if that helps.

Note that you could fly from St George to Denver see attached one way on 25th May. Prices in GBP.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220518-222540_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220518-222540_Google.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 2
Is this just the A/C compressor or is there more?

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Sorry youre having this trouble Bob.

Looks like several cheap places still have rooms for the Bryce dates according to Google if that helps.

Note that you could fly from St George to Denver see attached one way on 25th May. Prices in GBP.
That might be a good way to go. We are thinking of canceling Bryce canyon and changing others.

Can you drive your motorhome or are you currently driving a towed or rented vehicle?

Can you plead with whoever is doing the repairs to see if they can speed up the process? If it is parts, maybe they can have them sent overnight, etc.? Make sure they understand that you have no other place to stay.

Also, one tip is that there is a gas station/repair place right at the entrance to Bryce that works on trucks and motorhomes, if your rig is driveable. I had an engine light come on a couple of years ago, and it was determined that I needed new spark plugs. They got them overnight and put them in the next morning while I took the shuttle through the park. (I noticed the place when I drove past it because it had nice, BIG shop doors that would fit a motorhome!) The repair place is called Bryce Canyon Sinclair Gas Station and it is owned by Ruby's Inn.

Also, if I had to choose between skipping Bryce and skipping Zion, I would definitely skip Bryce, but that is my personal thing.

Can you drive your motorhome or are you currently driving a towed or rented vehicle?

Can you plead with whoever is doing the repairs to see if they can speed up the process? If it is parts, maybe they can have them sent overnight, etc.? Make sure they understand that you have no other place to stay.

Also, one tip is that there is a gas station/repair place right at the entrance to Bryce that works on trucks and motorhomes, if your rig is driveable. I had an engine light come on a couple of years ago, and it was determined that I needed new spark plugs. They got them overnight and put them in the next morning while I took the shuttle through the park. (I noticed the place when I drove past it because it had nice, BIG shop doors that would fit a motorhome!) The repair place is called Bryce Canyon Sinclair Gas Station and it is owned by Ruby's Inn.

Also, if I had to choose between skipping Bryce and skipping Zion, I would definitely skip Bryce, but that is my personal thing.
We are driving our car that we pull with the motor home. We are rescheduling our trip. Might spend 1 day at Bryce canyon. I scored a permit for the subway hike. I will not miss that.

My vote would've been to remove the compressor, put in a bypass pulley, new belt and down the road we go. I get that this repair is "covered" but at the expense of your trip itinerary, so that recovery is of relative value. Seems like you're in the mill now and just have to wait for it to settle out, hopefully you can pivot on the rest of the trip plans. I would insist that the driveshaft and any other open issues are resolved before parts arrive.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

When I was setting up this trip someone on the forum said I did not have enough down time so I added 2 weeks. So glad I did.
On a long trip, all kinds of things can happen. You could get sick, break a bone, have a family emergency you had to deal with, etc. so it is good to leave some free time. Smart move.

My vote would've been to remove the compressor, put in a bypass pulley, new belt and down the road we go. I get that this repair is "covered" but at the expense of your trip itinerary, so that recovery is of relative value. Seems like you're in the mill now and just have to wait for it to settle out, hopefully you can pivot on the rest of the trip plans. I would insist that the driveshaft and any other open issues are resolved before parts arrive.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Maybe HikerBob is not a DIY guy and as such would still be in the same predicament.
I have taken advantage of my service contract several times, though I always make temporary "fixes" myself and wait to make the claim till we are in a position to wait. Wait is what you will do for the service contract.

Sorry for your troubles. Adapt and overcome!

Sounds like you are starting to resign yourself to the schedule change. I'd use the toad and rive to Bryce and back. I'd stay in hotels rather than try and find a TT on short notice.

Picking up the RV on the 25th you should be able to cancel the first couple of days at Zion but might not be able to extend.

Another option is to do Bryce in a hotel, Do the first couple days at Zion in a hotel and then go pick up the RV. Straight travel time is a little over 8 hours to both Bryce and Zion from Denver.

But I am a road warrior with an iron butt. It would be nothing for me to leave Zion, drive 8, pick the RV and drive it back the same day. But I am also a little crazy...

That's what I would like to do but the wife does not.

My wife and I always discuss this stuff calmly and rationally with me explaining in detail why my plans are gonna work out perfectly every time. Then after due discussion and reflection we do what she wants...

Happy wife, happy life - LOL...

My vote would've been to remove the compressor, put in a bypass pulley,
Where do you find an A/C by-pass pulley? Can that be done with all vehicles? That's something I never heard of before, but could be handy in such a case.

Edit: disregard. I just did a search. First I have heard of them!

Great Idea if they can find one at the nearest auto parts store for their vehicle.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom