Trip planning applications

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayzie

Since Good Sam is shutting down their Trip Planner with no immediate replacement, I am looking for suggestions for a good trip planning program or app.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I signed up for RV Trip Wizard.  I really like it.  It operates a lot like the Good Sam trip planner, but has a much larger database of RV parks.  It also uses Google maps as the base, which is (IMO) much better than the mapping software on the GS app.  And since it is Google based, you can zoom in to closer detail, as well as drill down to the street view.  The park information is also superior to the GS app, with reviews from RV Park Reviews (now renamed Campground Reviews).  You can also add dates to your itinerary with some limitations - you have to input your trip start date, then input the number of days at each stop - can't just put a date on a stop in the middle of your trip.

We used and liked the Good Sam Trip Planner and would appreciate any input about alternative trip planners.  We will check into RV Trip Wizard but welcome other recommendations. TIA

I got this in an email from them yesterday - hope they come up with something way better than current -

Effective April 10, the current trip planning tool will no longer be available. An interim tool to assist with your upcoming travels will be available while our new trip planner is being designed.

We know how important a proper trip planning tool is to our members. The current trip planning tool has been a wonderful service for many years. However, based on feedback that we have received from our members, we feel that it is time and necessary to make improvements that meets the needs of all our members.
-
A new bigger and better trip planning tool is currently under construction. We would like to ask for your patience while it is being developed. Our hope is to launch the new tool by the end of 2019.

We would love your help building the new trip planning tool. Please take a few minutes to complete our trip planning survey.

For more information regarding the Trip Planner Program visit our Trip Planner FAQs or contact us at [email protected].

Thank you for being a valued member!

Good Sam Club team

Mayzie said:
Since Good Sam is shutting down their Trip Planner with no immediate replacement, I am looking for suggestions for a good trip planning program or app.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I like the RVParky app, on my iPad, by Mission management information systems.  Much better than the AAA or GS planners, IMHO.  Along with GasBuddy and Google Maps...

It's unfortunate that Good Sam decided to terminate it's current trip planner before it launched a new version.  We're planning a long trip this year and decided to stop using Good Sam and instead choose one or two other trip planning apps rather than wait for Good Sam to launch it's new version.

We like Roadtrippers. It gives you a lot of information about what is around you to see (gas, food, sights) and you can change the diameter of the search area.

richclover said:
I like the RVParky app, on my iPad, by Mission management information systems.  Much better than the AAA or GS planners, IMHO.  Along with GasBuddy and Google Maps...

I also use RV Parky, injunction with other RV Park reviews. I found RV Parky reviews can be somewhat dated, not all of them but some. The reviews has nothing to do with RV Parky, that's why I use other sites for reviews as well.

Also, I use google maps for alternate routes. You can't manipulate RV Parky routes like you are able with Google maps. At least I don't know how. I use Garmin 770 as well. I try an use all the tools at my disposal to find the sweet spots.

I suggest download all the apps that interest you and figure out which on is suits your needs.

Good Hunting.

chindog said:
I signed up for RV Trip Wizard.  I really like it.  It operates a lot like the Good Sam trip planner, but has a much larger database of RV parks.  It also uses Google maps as the base, which is (IMO) much better than the mapping software on the GS app.  And since it is Google based, you can zoom in to closer detail, as well as drill down to the street view.  The park information is also superior to the GS app, with reviews from RV Park Reviews (now renamed Campground Reviews).  You can also add dates to your itinerary with some limitations - you have to input your trip start date, then input the number of days at each stop - can't just put a date on a stop in the middle of your trip.
Another vote for RV Trip Wizard. I?ve used it for at least two years. Planned trips of at least 8,000 miles and 30-40 stops.

I have tried most trip planning apps and programs and found none better than RV Trip Wizzard. It is a web based trip planning software that has an annual subscription. It shows campgrounds (with links to reviews), fueling stops, and many other POI's along your route. Once you personalize the software it shows where you need to refuel with reserves base on your mpg. If you input how many miles or hours you want to drive each day it draws a ring from your starting point out to that point so you know where to start looking for camping sites. To me this is one of the most useful features and since it graphically shows all the campgrounds where the ring intersects your route, it's easy to choose a nearby campground. One more click and you see the reviews on that campground. You can easily switch from map view to satellite view so you can view the campsite you're investigating as well as the approach to any campground.

Keep in mind this is a planning tool, not a driving map. And you need an internet connection.

timjet said:
Keep in mind this is a planning tool, not a driving map. And you need an internet connection.

That is good to know.  Was going to start a topic but searched "trip planner" first. I do see that RVtrip wizard is a sponsor so thought maybe the glowing reviews maybe canned, but see some positive replies.  Although there is alot of power of the search engines and basic internet searching one can do I think I am going to throw a few dollars at the service and buy a subscription. I am sure I can get my money's worth throughout the year.

I want to use the RV wizard and at least plan and take some back roads around the major cities.  Just looking at the point to point from Detroit Michigan to San Angelo Texas there does not seem to be any you have to see this points along the way, although I am sure there is.   

We have never RV-d.  I retire officially tomorrow 30 June, and are in the process of closing the sale and moving to our new downsized home base Sticks and bricks.  We are flying into Detroit 12 August for what we anticipate is a RV purchase from a man who was ran a ad on RV trader, 2017 Winnebago Aspect 30J.  Our first inaugural voyage will be a return trip back to Texas without any real time to stop and smell the roses.  I have talked my sister in coming down and watching the dogs briefly while we are going to get the RV.  Probably just plan and take that first real trip once this heat cools down later in the year, when the heat cools down.

I plan on doing the common sense type thing, ensuring tire air pressure is good, filing up at flying J or some place with RV fuel lanes, and probably purchasing a Good Sam Road side program subscription right before we fly into Detroit. I have got the game plan on my temp travel tag to get me legally back to Texas, insurance game plan sorted out also.  I have to go the temp route becuase I would not register and pay sales tax on the RV until I have seen, inspected and have the title in my hand.

I will say that we are all in and  going for it.  I hope to spend 3 to 4 months a year on the road, cumulative.  Going to start off and see some parks in Texas where we can jump out and walk and hike, or sit around and look at a beautiful lake while we are sorting out our TOAD vehicle and what we want to get.  We only have one life to live and are excited about the next chapter.  This has been, and I am sure continually will be, a great source of information and problem solving in the future.  There is no substitute for experience.  I thank all the Old Pros for answering my questions that they probably answered 100 times before.  The Private Message replies. 

Hopefully one day I will be in the situation to pay it forward and offer some sound advice to new members also.

We also use Allstays app, not for trip planning, but for in-route information. Such as nearest campgrounds, fuel stop, rest areas and point to point mileage. Next Exit app or book is another good resource for what is at each exit on interstate highways.

Back
Top Bottom