Triple axle breakaway kit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coburja

I bought a new breakaway system that is rated for up to 2 axles with brakes.  It has a 5 amp/hr battery.  My trailer is a triple axle, so I need to exchange it.  I started looking at systems rated for triple axles and they have the same battery.  So...What?s the difference?

I think we need more info.  What kind of breakaway system are you looking at?  I've never built a trailer from scratch so not sure what the options are.....

-Kyle

It?s a 32? enclosed cargo trailer.  It?s got brakes on all 6 wheels.  It originally had a breakaway system but it was removed by a prior owner.  My point is that there doesn?t seem to be any discernible difference between systems advertised for single/dual axles and systems rated for multiple axles.  It would seem that the additional axles would require a larger amp/hour battery but I?ve yet to see it.  So, what?s the difference?  The system that I bought (but is rated for, up to, dual axles) is a Hopkins 20099

Usually the 3 axle breakaway kit uses a 5ah battery (or larger) where the tandem axle (2 axle) only requires a 4ah battery.
One switch (breakaway) provides maximum current from the battery to all axles at once for a short period of time and you want the battery to be able to deliver max in an emergency. Stick with at least a 5ah battery. I use a 35ah battery normally found on lawn mowers since I also have lights wired in my cargo trailer and it gives me more work time if I have to load/unload at night and more than enough current to stop the trailer in a breakaway.
Also, my battery is installed in a toolbox attached to the trailer tongue frame, not a "kit".

That?s what?s weird...every kit I?ve looked at, whether it?s for single, dual or triple axle has a 5ah battery.  The kit I?ve got is only rated for, up to, a dual axle and has a 5ah battery.  I?ve actually not seen a kit with a bigger battery, yet.

coburja said:
That?s what?s weird...every kit I?ve looked at, whether it?s for single, dual or triple axle has a 5ah battery.  The kit I?ve got is only rated for, up to, a dual axle and has a 5ah battery.  I?ve actually not seen a kit with a bigger battery, yet.
Sounds strange to me too, but my son-in-law runs the maintenance shop for a paving company and all the equipment trailers ( triple axle) that are used to haul bobcats, rollers and other equipment have this little dinky (IMO) breakaway battery holder "kit" with a 5ah battery. Passes DOT inspection.

You may need a lot of amps for 6 electric brakes, but the time period is very short.  The emergency braking application is more like a starting battery than a deep cycle, so a high amp-HOUR rating is not crucial.  What's the current draw on those brakes?  20A each?  20A x 6 = 120A for maybe 30 seconds?  That only about 1 AH. The actual AH number depends on how it was measured the AH will be different is using a 75A discharge rate vs 5A-10A.

So, it sounds like I?d be fine using the kit I purchased.  I can?t find any reason to send it back, as it seems the same as other models that decide to say they can be used on multiple axles.  I looked for quite some time and never found a ?triple rated? that was any different than what I?ve got now.

What is the kit besides a breakaway switch, a battery, and wiring for some number of axles?  You just need a wire size (gauge) large enough to handle the total load at the switch & battery, plus same or slightly smaller wires to each axle to deliver the braking current. So there really is no difference except possibly the wiring harness.

Back
Top Bottom