Triples

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There simply aren't enough of you to make the market attractive. We often see the complaint that "all RVs look alike" and "almost all are designed for senior couples". There's a reason for that - they have to build for the mainstream buyers to be price competitive. Rigs like the Patriot X3 are fabulous, but there aren't many buyers who are willing to shell out $52k for a pop-up camper.
Yeah, the price point was the biggest problem for me for what it was. I also found another option that could work. The Black Series HQ21 has some amenities, but with similar off-road capabilities. The hitch system is a bit complicated, but it articulates. It also may not allow the trailer sway control hitch addition which I like. It's only about 25k more than the x3 and very nicely appointed for its purpose.

An internet booster boosts an internet signal that someone provides to you, like a store or restaurant or coffee shop. Except you are not going to be able to find any loose internet signals while boondocking in the wilds, no matter what state you are in. What you are going to need is a contract with a cell service provider such as Verizon, which really does have the widest network. Then you will either use the data on your cell phone or use a couple of mobile hotspots. I mention a couple because at least in my case, I get 30 gig of data at 4 G with each one before Verizon throttles me down.

If you want to boost anything, you will need a cell phone signal booster to get a better signal while you are boondocking somewhere.

I am online 5-7 hours per day, so I have two mobile hotspots which I purchased from Verizon for $200 each. I pay $148 per month for "unlimited" data, which is really not unlimited because I get 30 gig of fast speed and then unlimited really slow speed. My contract also covers unlimited cell phone calls and 20 gigs of data on my cell phone if I need it.

You can always drive into town and find a mall or someplace like McDonalds or Starbucks that provides free internet and use an internet booster for that. I do have an internet booster that I used to use for that, but now use only occasionally when I am at a campground that provides free internet. However, be aware that for 95% of commercial campgrounds, free internet means you have to be sitting next to the activity center or directly under the wireless access point. IN other words, it is almost always useless.

You can check into satellite internet, however. Not sure what that provides or what it will cost you, but obviously you will need to buy a satellite dish and some other equipment. (Providers make you purchase a satellite for RVs, as opposed to with home use where they bring you a satellite and let you rent it.)
I don't care about satellite and will probably remove one if installed. VPN won't work over satellite internet and I don't plan on watching much TV. I have some movies and other entertainment options for when I am stuck in.

I can't work from a public wifi, so I will definitely be using mobile hotspots. The booster I was referring to was the cell signal booster. There is also a device that takes all your mobile hotspots and combines them into a wifi network. If there isn't load balancing or bandwidth advantages from getting it, it is somewhat pointless other than the convenience.

I have been fulltiming since January.

If your WiFi antenna can't see the parks WiFi antenna (line of sight) then you will heve moderately to severely degraded signal. Even going through the aluminum wall of an RV. Putting the WiFi receiver in an RV window can help a bit. My answer was a "bridging" WiFi router with an antenna on the roof.

The antenna has LOS to the park antenna. The cable runs to my box that picks up WiFi and "repeats" it inside my RV. I set this up for around $100.

The park WiWi service provider has issues. The park has service interruptions for up to 15 minutes randomly. And at evening rush hour with everyone streaming the download speed drops as low as 1-2Mps. I can't rely on park WiFi to do work so I tether to Verizon.

Cell pickup is similar but the issue is that the phone (hot-spotting) is usually low to the ground and is blocked. I put an external cell antenna on the roof again with a cellular repeater.

However if you can't get the signal then nothing will help with cellular. You have to be able to see at least a couple of bars for the repeater to be of any use. Have the cell antenna on the roof, 15 feet in the air helps being able to see the tower.

I've been in state parks and been unable to get cell data, and I have not ever been in a state park that has wifi.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom