Troubleshooting Atwood 8531-IV DCLP furnace (fixed!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeilerBird said:
Good job Scott. I feel sorry for the poor bug.  I hope you gave him a proper burial.  ;D

Marble tomb. Well, truth be told, it was a tall kitchen garbage bag. Although, brass coffin (i.e., he's still in the orifice)
;)

Too funny.  After I offered up the gas valve, my bedroom furnace(an 8520-IV)stopped working.  Playing with it I found that the thing lit for about 10 seconds and went out.
After fooling with the exhaust stack for a while(I'm using anti-seize when I put it back together)I got the thing apart and found that my burner had also failed.  I've got a new igniter, but I'm not going to install it until I replace the burner and try it.  I feel like the igniter is probably okay, it's just that with the giant hole in the burner, the flame probably isn't hitting the probes like it should.
Also cleaned a mud dauber nest out of there, too, but it wasn't in an area that would affect the operation of the furnace.

Old_Crow said:
I feel like the igniter is probably okay, it's just that with the giant hole in the burner, the flame probably isn't hitting the probes like it should.

Probably so, but with the thing apart I'd spend the $17 and replace the ignitor. Perhaps keep the old one as an emergency spare

BTW, thanks again for the offer

Back2PA said:
Probably so, but with the thing apart I'd spend the $17 and replace the ignitor. Perhaps keep the old one as an emergency spare

BTW, thanks again for the offer

I've already got the new igniter, I bought it at the same time I bought the valve.  Going to test the old one first, since now that the exhaust tube is out it doesn't take hardly any time to change the igniter if the old one's bad.  If it's still good, I have a new in the package spare for me or someone else down the road.

You could use the new ignitor as a spare if the old one is still working but I would suggest to use the old one as a spare and install the new one. You would still need to test the old one.

Back
Top Bottom