Truck and Camper Weights - Real Numbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grashley

I finally had a good opportunity to get the "loaded to go camping" weights on my rig. Here are the numbers:

................................ curb wt...........scale wt............GAWR ..............% Capacity
Front truck axle........4850................4860................6000 ......................81%
Rear Truck Axle........3150.................5940................7000.......................85%
.....Truck Wt..............8000..............10,800............. 11,500 GVWR ..........94%
.....Truck Only ..........8000.................8100 *
FW Pin Wt ........................................ 2700
FW combined axle wt.....................11,920
FW Weight .............12,130..............14,620...............15,500 GVWR..........94%
....Combined Weight......................22,720..............23,500 GCWR..........97%
* ¼ tank of fuel, 1 passenger, Andersen Hitch

Note the camper weighs 2500 lbs MORE than the literature curb wt with only necessities on board and empty tanks except 25 gal fresh water.

It shows all weights within weight ratings with 700 lbs of "growth" still available. This is more than I expected, and real good information to have. It cost me $8 at an independent truck stop. Money well spent!
This can also be used to more accurately adjust tire pressures to actual load being carried, per tire manufacturer inflation charts

Last edited:
Those look like fairly typical values to me. Brochure/website specs rarely give an accurate picture, so it's best to assume they are LOW when shopping and buyers should get scaled weights as soon as possible after purchase.

What is included in your "necessities" on-board?

780 pounds doesn't seem like a lot to work with. Especially if you have 48 gallon tanks and weighed at 1/4. 36 more gallons of fuel is gonna take a couple hundred pounds right there.

Those look like fairly typical values to me. Brochure/website specs rarely give an accurate picture, so it's best to assume they are LOW when shopping and buyers should get scaled weights as soon as possible after purchase.
Gary, I posted these numbers to demonstrate this point. I have heard you say this before. You are correct.

Ex: After almost 4 years of weekend camping, we have added dishes, cookware, bedding, bath linens, upgraded recliners, reading light, lawn chairs, fire starter and firewood, toaster, coffee maker, ice maker, popcorn popper, GDD toys, clothes, tools, etc., with very little removed. I doubt much more will be added. When we go out in a couple weeks, we will add clean clothes and some food, and everything else is already on board.

Note also the rig was weighed on our way home before anything but trash was removed. This should be typical weight when we leave home, less a few pounds of food.

Gary, I posted these numbers to demonstrate this point. I have heard you say this before. You are correct.

Ex: After almost 4 years of weekend camping, we have added dishes, cookware, bedding, bath linens, upgraded recliners, reading light, lawn chairs, fire starter and firewood, toaster, coffee maker, ice maker, popcorn popper, GDD toys, clothes, tools, etc., with very little removed. I doubt much more will be added. When we go out in a couple weeks, we will add clean clothes and some food, and everything else is already on board.

Note also the rig was weighed on our way home before anything but trash was removed. This should be typical weight when we leave home, less a few pounds of food.
Its amazing what you accumulate. We bought a new 5er in April and it took us 3 hrs to move all the stuff from one to the other. Good part is when we road trip all we now load is the fresh laundry food and booze even half the laundry now stays in the trailer we have trailer stuff and home stuff lol

Back
Top Bottom