Truck bed camper for 2 (suggestions please)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ks12

Hi all,

I currently have an overlanding rig with a roof top tent that I love but im wanting something for longer trips with more comforts of home. Originally I was looking at RV's but I recently took a trip to the coast and saw several truck bed campers much further in and more remote than an RV could ever hope to get and I also saw a ton hanging out in the KOA when the weather got stupid and made the beach unenjoyable for a couple of days and we really dont need a ton of room as we are always out on adventures so now im seriously considering that route. I have a F-450 King Ranch Dually on order with Ford currently that will hopefully be built in a couple of months so payload should not be too much of an issue. Nice truck bed campers seems to kind of be a niche market so I thought id come here for suggestions. Some things that are important to me are 1. Solar (backup diesel generator would be nice) 2. bathroom with a full-sized shower 3. Nice kitchen 4. Queen or larger bed 5. Rated for every season. It will only ever be used be 2 people so one designed for couples is ideal. Finally, I have a policy of "buy nice or buy twice" so im not really looking at budget models. Thank you for any input!

Host Industries out of Bend Oregon makes some impressive campers.

Look at Lance campers you also need to check the payload capacity on that F450 my F350 has a 500lb HIGHER Payload than a F450 the 450 has a higher towing capacity due to lower gears, the 450 also boasts a tigher turn radius than the 350. Some of those campers get really heavy really expensive and really nice. Here is a snap of the 2022 ford payload chart remember too those posted numbers are for base models a loaded king ranch will have a payload at least 1000lbs lighter

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220222-081051_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220222-081051_Drive.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Host, Lance, Northern Lite, Bigfoot.

There are no diesel generators small enough. Everyone installs the Onan 2500LPi inverter generator.

Some of the Host campers get so heavy you need a Cab/chassis with flat bed to carry the weight. Even in a F450 the truck cannot carry the weight a C/C model can, as C/C has much stouter suspension and heavier frame. And I have read the Ford aluminum beds don't play well with extremely heavy models, people have reported bent/damaged components.

In addition to TC Magazine noted above, there is Home - Truck Camper Adventure which is another TC e magazine.

If you sift thru the videos by Big Truck Big RV he has a F450 and does some informative videos on wheels, tires, suspension, etc. on it (hauls a 5th wheel with it)

Charles

We went with a Ram 5500 chassis cab with a diesel. We looked at all the brands and models and concluded that a chassis cab with a tool body or flatbed was the way to go. We didn't want to worry about being close to payload or upgrading suspension as most do to accommodate a truck camper. Now having said that, our camper is only 3,400 lbs. What we gained is storage, with a tool body. Our truck camper is a Bigfoot 10.4 with a panorama view out of the back. The bigfoot is all fiberglass construction with insulated body. No panels to delaminate, seams to separate and no TPO roof membrane. Folks are spending tens of thousands of dollars for a camper with what i call a pool liner for a roof. Aluminum framed campers don't succumb to wood rot but, they do have issues with thermal transfer. All campers suffer from condensation so opening a window or using a de-humidity solution is a must. The Bigfoot 10.4 is perfect for a couple and has a dry bath. Just my opinion!

Attachments

• Truck Camper Complete and Daniel.jpg
    Truck Camper Complete and Daniel.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 20
We went with a Ram 5500 chassis cab with a diesel. We looked at all the brands and models and concluded that a chassis cab with a tool body or flatbed was the way to go. We didn't want to worry about being close to payload or upgrading suspension as most do to accommodate a truck camper. Now having said that, our camper is only 3,400 lbs. What we gained is storage, with a tool body. Our truck camper is a Bigfoot 10.4 with a panorama view out of the back. The bigfoot is all fiberglass construction with insulated body. No panels to delaminate, seams to separate and no TPO roof membrane. Folks are spending tens of thousands of dollars for a camper with what i call a pool liner for a roof. Aluminum framed campers don't succumb to wood rot but, they do have issues with thermal transfer. All campers suffer from condensation so opening a window or using a de-humidity solution is a must. The Bigfoot 10.4 is perfect for a couple and has a dry bath. Just my opinion!

First of all, WELCOME TO THIS BOARD!!!!

Just be aware, as Bigfoots age, they can leak around the windows, roof vents, etc, and there is quite a bit of wood inside a Bigfoot used as spacers and blocking in various places.

owning a 2008 Bigfoot trailer, and knowing what I know now, I probably would go for a Northern Lite if I were looking for a truck camper, but don't get me wrong, the Bigfoot is a nice camper.

My signature on the Bigfoot Owners Club International discussion forum is.....

Quote from Bear Gulch Bill "The concept is exceptional ----- The execution is excruciating"

And yes, hearing from the owners of new models, things haven't changed much since mine was built.

Is this your first RV or are you a seasoned RV'er?

Did you buy the camper new, or used? What year is it?

Cab/Chassis units have a much higher payload than a comparable pickup model so your choice was a wise one for a truck camper.

The BOCI annual rally is in Sturgis SD in mid September. Which reminds me, I need to go ahead and give them a firm commitment and sign up for the rally.

Charles

I bought a truck camper a few years ago for fishing, hunting, & pleasure trips. Then soon found out my wife could not handle the ceiling being so low - she felt like everything was closing in on her. So, I let it go for someone else to enjoy. She has passed away. Now I am looking for a short bed cab-over.

I bought a truck camper a few years ago for fishing, hunting, & pleasure trips. Then soon found out my wife could not handle the ceiling being so low - she felt like everything was closing in on her. So, I let it go for someone else to enjoy. She has passed away. Now I am looking for a short bed cab-over.
What size truck do you have?

F 150 short wheelbase. - looking for an older truck camper.
A decent truck camper on any short bed moves the weight way past the acceptable loading area over the back axle. This is an alternative that people use sometimes, not knowing your real desires and needs.

Thanks: for your reply's. I have pulled 5th wheel and tag along's with F150 for years. My 35' with slide out 5th wheel pulled with F250. Have carried 8' slide in truck camper with F250 - What I want now is a small light weight just for me very few appliances inside, no bathroom, mostly for more comfortable sleeping.
Enjoy

Interesting post. I am also looking for a camper for two and have looked at Bigfoots, Northern Lite, Kodiak and a few others. Just got my truck 05 Dodge 3500 short bed. (When you find the right truck you have to give up something some times, so the long box was lost.)
Anyhow we like simple camping so a porta-potty is good, just a fridge and burner top required. But I do want a Nice bed as we are getting older. The hard shell are what I am looking for. Year 2000 on.

Last edited:
I will just build me one. I can keep the CL in front of the rear axle just a little. I have rebuilt and built, Travel trailers, I have one in my shop now I built. Thanks for your reply's. Enjoy the outdoors.

Hi all,

I currently have an overlanding rig with a roof top tent that I love but im wanting something for longer trips with more comforts of home. Originally I was looking at RV's but I recently took a trip to the coast and saw several truck bed campers much further in and more remote than an RV could ever hope to get and I also saw a ton hanging out in the KOA when the weather got stupid and made the beach unenjoyable for a couple of days and we really dont need a ton of room as we are always out on adventures so now im seriously considering that route. I have a F-450 King Ranch Dually on order with Ford currently that will hopefully be built in a couple of months so payload should not be too much of an issue. Nice truck bed campers seems to kind of be a niche market so I thought id come here for suggestions. Some things that are important to me are 1. Solar (backup diesel generator would be nice) 2. bathroom with a full-sized shower 3. Nice kitchen 4. Queen or larger bed 5. Rated for every season. It will only ever be used be 2 people so one designed for couples is ideal. Finally, I have a policy of "buy nice or buy twice" so im not really looking at budget models. Thank you for any input!
You have a lot of options with an F-450. The load capacity is on a sticker in the door opening. According to many the F-450 load capacity is purposefully derated to keep it a Class 3 vehicle, avoiding commercial tags and insurance. Others on this forum may be better able to accurately explain.

We are purchasing an Arctic Fox 1150 this fall to carry with a F-350 SC with 7.3L gas. This is a large, heavy single slide with 59 gal water capacity, 7 cu ft fridge and lots of room compared to non-slide TCs. Not cheap, not light but fairly roomy and comfortable. Worth taking a look at.

As someone else said, take a look at Truck Camper Living e magazine. They have a write up on matching a camper to your truck with their version of an accurate wet weight, which appears to be pretty accurate to this engineer. Good luck and get the TC you and your wife want, not the one any of us suggest.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom