truck camper on 1/2 ton F150?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobie1

This empty-nester is looking forward to traveling across country in truck-camper and don't know what is the best size/type to fit my 1/2 ton pu? payload is 3275lbs. Please reply with recommendations.

You have a 1/2 truck with a nearly 3300 pound capacity?
Your door sticker states that specifically?

Any way truck campers are typically 1 ton deals, and some 3/4 with less options.

The lighter empty weight units with hard side are around 2,000 pounds for a short box, and they go up from there.

I am very suspect of the payload capacity that you state your truck has....3275.  You need to look at the white sticker with yellow highlighting on the driver side door post and see what the actual payload is for your truck, as it came from the factory.  Keep in mind that anything that has been added to the truck will decrease that payload number by the amount of weight that was added......bed cover, tool box, whatever.  Post up and let us know what that sticker on your door post says you've got.

Haven't actually bot the truck yet but specs state the 2018 F150  has payload of 3275lbs. Which does doesnt seem much when you add mw, propane tanks, battery, a/c to camper weight plus personal travel gear.

I think somebody at Ford is smoking something.  That's a high payload for most 3/4 ton trucks.  If it exists, it will be a special order, 2Wd, standard cab, with zero options.  I would be shocked if you could find one anywhere on a lot.  Most 1/2 ton trucks are around well under 2,000 pound payload.  The one's that are higher are out there but very basic, and don't approach the payload you need.

Unless you want a basic pop up truck camper you will be looking at much larger truck.

My F250 is a pretty basic, XL, standard cab, 4wd, and has a 3500 pound payload.  And that's considered pretty substantial for a 3/4 ton.

here's the specs from Ford.

2018 3.5L EcoBoost? V6    GVWR =7850,  max payload =3,230 lbs,  12,100 towing cap.  (3.55 axle ratio)

as per this...https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/models/f150-platinum/

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Here's some good sources of info for you:

http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/2016/05/top-five-truck-campers-for-half-ton-trucks/

http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/2017/07/top-7-pop-up-truck-campers-for-half-ton-trucks/

Also take a look at TRUCK CAMPER MAGAZINE'S Newbie Articles, especially the one article on How To Match A Truck and Truck Camper.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/newbie-articles/

These articles are excellent and provide  an awesome foundation for a newbie. thanks

sightseers said:
here's the specs from Ford.

2018 3.5L EcoBoost? V6    GVWR =7850,  max payload =3,230 lbs,  12,100 towing cap.  (3.55 axle ratio)

as per this...https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/models/f150-platinum/
yep thats the one. new alum structure with 10 speed trany and v6 turbo.. ranks up there with older f250.

I highly advise you confirm anything prior to purchase, because the net specs are about as accurate as the published weight of campers.  Of course the pic shown on the posted link shows a completely tricked out truck with a short box.  I can promise you that truck doesn't have the payload even close to the promised capacity.

Do what you want. 

You can believe someone that wants to sell you a truck, or the sticker on the door frame, which is all that matters.

Hobie1 said:
Haven't actually bot the truck yet but specs state the 2018 F150  has payload of 3275lbs. Which does doesnt seem much when you add mw, propane tanks, battery, a/c to camper weight plus personal travel gear.

OK, the question becomes this.  Regular cab?  SuperCab?  SuperCrew?  Next question is....4x2 or 4x4?  Next question is...Heavy Duty Payload Package with 17" wheels or Heavy Duty Payload Package with 18" wheels?  Trim Level?  XL, XLT, Lariat?  Bed length?

The last two posters are both right.  It makes a BIG difference whether you are talking two or four wheel drive, short or long bed, regular or crew cab, etc.  And since salesmen are on commission, 90%+ of them will tell you whatever they need to to make the sale.  They may well try to sell you a truck already on their lot, if they don't have what you really need.

Pages 11 and 12 from this publication will give you the straight scoop from Ford.  Do note how much the cargo capacity can vary on the F150 depending on the options.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_18RV&TTowGuide_r8_May15.pdf

If you need to check out other years, here's the page you want:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

xrated said:
OK, the question becomes this.  Regular cab?  SuperCab?  SuperCrew?  Next question is....4x2 or 4x4?  Next question is...Heavy Duty Payload Package with 17" wheels or Heavy Duty Payload Package with 18" wheels?  Trim Level?  XL, XLT, Lariat?  Bed length?

excellent points. so many decisions to make. definitely 4x4 and supercab.  i understand F150 wheels are now 20". wow back-in-the-day 17" was standard.  i like the 6.5' bed. is that long or short?

The last two posters are both right.  It makes a BIG difference whether you are talking two or four wheel drive, short or long bed, regular or crew cab, etc.  And since salesmen are on commission, 90%+ of them will tell you whatever they need to to make the sale.  They may well try to sell you a truck already on their lot, if they don't have what you really need.

Pages 11 and 12 from this publication will give you the straight scoop from Ford.  Do note how much the cargo capacity can vary on the F150 depending on the options.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/Ford_Linc_18RV&TTowGuide_r8_May15.pdf

If you need to check out other years, here's the page you want:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

I'm impressed...the wealth of feedback here... you guys are are incredibly responsive. Considering the cost of new truck and new or lightly used camper, i need a blueprint with options flowchart. this will definitely take longer than i expected, press on the brakes, so happy to be here.  Thank you

Hobie1 said:
  i like the 6.5' bed. is that long or short?

Back in the day - you know, when I was young and dinosaurs still walked the earth - everybody offered an 8 foot bed and a 6 foot bed, which were the long bed and the short bed, respectively.  Now various manufacturers offer 8' beds, 7.5' beds, 6.5' beds, even 5.5' beds . . .

Personally, I would consider anything shorter than 7' to be a short bed.

Back in the day - you know, when I was young and dinosaurs still walked the earth - everybody offered an 8 foot bed and a 6 foot bed, which were the long bed and the short bed, respectively.  Now various manufacturers offer 8' beds, 7.5' beds, 6.5' beds, even 5.5' beds . . .

Personally, I would consider anything shorter than 7' to be a short bed.
Yep i remember our 63 chevy. we could load it with 4x8 plywood, with tailgate up...lol  and haul a whole lot of hay (back when a person could lift a bail)

There are a number of options including units made for Toyota Tacoma, albeit small but they exist.  Check the various truck camper manufacturers and look at their lines.

If someone  said I want to buy a truck now and find a TC with a bathroom etc later I'd say one ton srw long bed. If they mentioned having a slide I'd say dually. Even then some with dually are doing other tricks to the truck

Personally, I would consider a well-equipped F250 to be a minimum for carrying a good truck camper.  And I would look for a well maintained two or three year old one - let someone else eat the high depreciation of a new truck.  If it's got less than 50,000 miles on it, you'll easily get another 100,000 or 150,000 miles out of it.  Finally, gas engine, not diesel.  Ford diesel engines just don't seem to hold up, seems like their owners have way too much trouble with them. 

Of course, that's just my opinion.  But I guarantee it's worth every penny you paid for it!  8)

I think the best truck is going to be different for different people.

Here is CA having a 3/4 ton will cost you a lot more per year just in registration fees over a 1/2 ton. (both commercial vehicles too)

So a guy that puts a camper on his daily driver pickup a couple times a year....... is better off with a beefed up 1/2 ton for fuel millage, registration fees, and insurance costs ...  the whole rest of the year.

*note
There is a little known DMV rule here in CA that makes it possible to register ANY truck even a Semi, the same as a Car (non commercial vehicle) if it has camper on it full time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pearl Constance de_la She
Back
Top Bottom