"Truck" detours?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joezeppy

Reminds me of the signs leading up to a brake test area for a runaway truck ramp we often pass.

1st sign:
1669073535490.png

2nd sign:
1669073550971.png

So technically a pickup towing a trailer does not have to stop - if you can argue a pickup is not a "car". Good luck with that argument, of course!

And RVs are not addressed at all.

p38fln

I am still confused by what a "truck" is, especially when it comes to road signs. For example, weigh stations on interstates say all trucks must stop there, but they really do not mean RVs or pickup "trucks."

Recently in Nevada, I saw a sign for a weigh station that only specified "commercial vehicles." Now, if I am driving a pickup truck owned by my employer and it has all sorts of advertising signs on it, do they really want me to stop and get weighed??

Ditto for speed limit signs that give a different maximum speed for cars and "trucks." Some also specify trucks and vehicles pulling trailers. But I do not tow anything with my motorhome, so I guess it is not a "truck."
And what about "truck routes" through cities? Do any of you follow them?

Interestingly, I have found that some toll roads charge my vehicle by the axle, not number of tires or weight or length. So they consider me a car, I guess, because i have only two axles.

I have an RV GPS, one of the older Rand McNally ones, sold through Camping World. Basically, I just follow its directions as it knows my vehicles weight, height, width, etc. (I can set it for my RV or a car, if I choose, and it often picks a slightly different route as an RV to avoid low bridges and weight restrictions.) There is a short truck detour on Route I-5 near Santa Clarita in southern California, but my GPS never tells me to follow it, so I just follow the regular route, along with everyone else with RVs. It has does a pretty good job over the years keeping me away from low bridges and other dangers.

It would be nice for the road signs to say "All commercial vehicles weighing more than 20,000 pounds" or something similar.
Want some idea on variations?

Wisconsin - A truck is anything that holds more cargo than people or that has an open bed. Signs that say no trucks generally only apply to commercial heavy trucks, like box trucks or bigger. Reconfigurable vehicles (like minivans, full size vans with removable seats and SUV's that have foldable seats) are supposed to be registered in whatever configuration they're used more often, but realistically this just means that people with Ford Escapes slap Truck plates on their cars and call it a truck to their friends.
Minnesota - A truck is anything that has a 'nominal weight carrying capacity' of 1 ton or more. They don't mean the actual weight carrying capacity. They mean F350 or larger. Signs that say no trucks generally apply only to heavy vehicles, not pickups.
Illinois - Similar to Wisconsin, but No trucks means no TRUCKS. Period. If your license plate says "Truck" then don't go down that road. RV's aren't trucks, you can legally go down a no truck route with your RV as long as the license plate doesn't say "Truck". It's a weird place. You can even slap a truck topper on and call your F350 an RV if you want, as long as you have the plates changed to say RV instead of Truck. Police have given tickets for pickups with truck plates on Lakeshore drive.

Ray-IN

FWIW, there is a state in the New England area that does have a law on the books requiring all MH's to stop at weigh stations the same as commercial trucks, due to weight.
There was a thread on irv2.com 5-6 years ago, where a resident of that state included the particular state law in his reply.
This is the post: "
This is the rule in Maryland from their web site FAQ.

"8. What vehicles must go through weigh stations in Maryland?
All vehicles with a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 10,000 pounds must stop at open weigh stations. Only vehicles that are operating in commerce will be subject to a safety inspection."

However RVers that have called the Maryland DOT have been told not to worry about it and no one will come after you if you drive on by. "
source: Weigh Station Stop or Not - iRV2 Forums

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
FWIW, there is a state in the New England area that does have a law on the books requiring all MH's to stop at weigh stations the same as commercial trucks, due to weight.
There was a thread on irv2.com 5-6 years ago, where a resident of that state included the particular state law in his reply.

All vehicles with a gross vehicle weight or gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 10,000 pounds must stop at open weigh stations. Only vehicles that are operating in commerce will be subject to a safety inspection."
Maryland is now part of New England? :unsure:

CharlesinGA

South Dakota has signs that say "all vehicles exceeding 10,000 gvw must stop -- RV's and Busses excluded."

Iowa says "All Trucks over 10,000 gvw Must Weigh"

Somewhere and I thought it was S Dakota, I saw added on signs that said "including U-Hauls" which seemed strange, but looking on street view, I cannot find the signs, and the street views are only a couple of months old, and I saw this in September.

Charles

Groo

when I have seen such detours in the past, it has been because there would be sharp turns ahead. I would not take a large vehicle or a large trailer past such a sign.

Skookum

South Dakota has signs that say "all vehicles exceeding 10,000 gvw must stop -- RV's and Busses excluded."

Iowa says "All Trucks over 10,000 gvw Must Weigh"

Somewhere and I thought it was S Dakota, I saw added on signs that said "including U-Hauls" which seemed strange, but looking on street view, I cannot find the signs, and the street views are only a couple of months old, and I saw this in September.

Charles

Surprisingly, there is a lot of variation between states with regard to rented trucks, and South Dakota is one state where rented trucks are required to stop at weigh stations, according to a quick search.

The sign seems a little funny, why not say rented trucks instead of UHaul? I guess that means if I rented from Penske or Budget I don’t have to stop!?

JudyJB

However RVers that have called the Maryland DOT have been told not to worry about it and no one will come after you if you drive on by. "
source: Weigh Station Stop or Not - iRV2 Forums
#8 is confusing because it sounds like my RV motorhome would have to go through the weigh station but would not be inspected!!

p38fln

Wisconsin technically requires RV's to pull through weigh stations. When I called and asked, the state DOT said they really don't care if you stop or not if you aren't in commerce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jensenmoving
Top Bottom