Truck engines part 3, Dodge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

And separately, comments on Dodge  truck engines in the 2006-2012 era, both gas and diesel. Finding a fair number of the straight 6 Cummins, and I see them them everywhere (and if you don't see them you can certainly hear them!). Dodge went to a V8 diesel later, correct? Any comments in these years is appreciated, gas and diesel. Thx

Ram still uses the I-6 in the heavy haulers, it is darn near bulletproof. The eco diesel in the 1500 is a V-6. In I believe 2007 the 5.9 was upgraded to a 6.7, quieter, smoother, more power and an engine retarder which I wish mine had. The old 12 valve 5.9 was certainly noisy, my 05 24 valve is much quieter and the new ones are even better.
I bought mine used in 2010, it now has just over 200,000 miles (American model) and has been absoulutely trouble free except for an a/c clutch and a water pump. It will tow anything I need moved and miledge is very respectable, I fuel up once a 6 hour day towing (I have never calculated the actual figure).

The cummins is solid as solid can get old technology but it workshop  great. Only knock on Ram is the front ends are weak and so are the electrics but still a proven combo and its still noisy lol

Roy M said:
I did the front end at 165,000, no electrical problems.

Good i hope it stays that way just dont upgrade headlights to hids or anything thats when the electrics rear thier ugly heads 

Yep, Cummins is still using the inline 6, and it works really well. Even the 450 HP Cummins in my RV is an inline 6, just a big one.  The only Cummins I would steer clear of is the late model 90's, like 1998 to 2002. They had a Bosch high pressure injection pump (VP 44) that was pretty temperamental. At a couple grand a pop to replace, I was always a little nervous with it, even though it never gave me any problems.

Other than that, they are pretty bullet proof. I had a 2008 Cummins 6.7 with an auto trans. That son of a gun was a rocket ship, and tough as nails.  It was a long bed 3/4 ton SRW. 

2012 Dodge HO,,high output,, 6.7 no DEF but still has the particulate filter, so oil changes are around 4000 miles. 800lbs of torque, not noisy. 6sp tranny and engine brake work great together for towing. Water pumps are good for around 90k miles, 55. 00 at napa, not that hard to change out. I love my 12 4x4x crew cab dually, but suggest you look for a 13 or newer. DEF trucks are a little bit of a pita, but get a little better mileage and longer between oil changes. The 13 has the Aisin tranny, the 6sp in the 12 is still a great tranny also.  Prior 2012,except a few late production 2011 units have the 6.7 with 650 pounds of torque. 2012 was the model change year for the tranny and the HO 6.7. You can tell if a 2011 has the HO 6.7 , it will have the High Output badge on the tailgate. If you live in a state where you can delete, you'll have a awesome tow rig,,,gregg

Sun2Retire said:
And separately, comments on Dodge  truck engines in the 2006-2012 era, both gas and diesel. Finding a fair number of the straight 6 Cummins, and I see them them everywhere (and if you don't see them you can certainly hear them!). Dodge went to a V8 diesel later, correct? Any comments in these years is appreciated, gas and diesel. Thx
  Thankfully there are no v8 diesel engines in a Dodge/Ram 2500/3500 truck. There all a inline 6 cylinder.
In '03 Cummins (3rd gen truck) went with the 5.9 HPCR engine which helped the engine run much quieter. My '03 5.9 HO is much much quieter than my old '00 2nd gen 5.9 which would kill brain cells.

The last of the 5.9 engines was the '07.5 year models.....then the switch to the bigger 6.7 engine...both inline 6 engines.
    The last of the noisy Dodge/Cummins was a '02 models.

Prior to the Aisin transmission, the performance of the Cummins diesel had to be de-rated from their manual transmission counterpart to avoid overloading and damaging the automatic transmission.  They developed more torque than the transmission could handle.

This is something to keep in mind if you're considering a Dodge truck with an older automatic transmission.  You can't boost the engine's performance beyond the stock settings without risking transmission damage.

Here's the website of a former member and moderator of this site:

https://mopar1973man.com/

Everything you would want to know about a Cummins and then some.

Back
Top Bottom