truck rating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janpaul

I have a relative who has a Dodge MegaCab 1500, he says it is a heavy half truck and the same underneath as a 3/4 ton truck. I don't get it, if it is the same, then why is it not rated 3/4 ton? It has the Hemi in it, but I'm not sure which rear. His 5er has a GVWR of 11200, that just seems a bit much to me after the things I have read here. Also I heard him tell another family member how much trouble he had going up mountains/hills in PA when on a trip this summer. When I asked him the same question about towing, (I asked if his camper was too heavy when he got it?)he said it towed with no problem. I think the dealer told him that he had plenty of truck for that 5er.

No matter what you do to a 1/2 ton  It's still a half 1/2 ton.  Rear and front axle, springs (front and rear), radiators, Brakes, Rims, tires.  and numerous ohter things  There is just  no comparison any way shape or form except to say they are both trucks. 

janpaul said:
Does anyone know the specific differences between a heavy half ton and a 3/4 ton?

1/4 of a ton.

A 1/2 ton pickup is a light truck -- no matter what some advertising blurb says.  What counts are the tow ratings of the truck, and, for 5th wheel trailers, the rear axle weight rating to handle the pin weight of the trailer.  If you have a 1/2 tonner, you better have a really liight 5th wheel.

So the springs and axles are NOT the same in these trucks? I could not find any tow ratings on that model, but 11,200 just seemed to heavy to me.

janpaul said:
So the springs and axles are NOT the same in these trucks? I could not find any tow ratings on that model, but 11,200 just seemed to heavy to me.

The most capable 2006 model of Dodge 1500s has a tow rating of 8900 lbs.  Most are around 7-8000 lbs.    If he is hauling a 11,200 GVWR trailer he ranges from overloaded to way overloaded.  I am not surprised that he has problems with the hills in PA.  Tell him to never go west of the Mississippi.  Better yet, stay in Florida or on I-95.

Carl Lundquist said:
The most capable 2006 model of Dodge 1500s has a tow rating of 8900 lbs.? ?Most are around 7-8000 lbs.? ? If he is hauling a 11,200 GVWR trailer he ranges from overloaded to way overloaded.? ?I am not surprised that he has problems with the hills in PA.? ?Tell him to never go west of the Mississippi.? Better yet, stay in Florida or on I-95.

Also make sure to beg him to quite endangering his self as well as anybody else that happens to be around when he is towing while overloaded and that it is illegal.? Have him get weighed and compare the results to the weight rating of his rig.

I will try to catch him sometime at home and go through his owners manual and truck specs to show him this. I am guessing he probably is looking at the dry weight and thinking he is okay.

Does anyone know the specific differences between a heavy half ton and a 3/4 ton?

Hard to say - marketing is probably a big part of it.  I haven't seen a "heavy"designation for Dodges but Chevy uses it a similar designation called HD. Can't find any distinction on the spec pages for such a model, so it is possible the difference is merely a chrome label on the back/side and maybe something like an enhanced payload package (typically heavier rear springs and larger tires), increasing the payload by a few hundred pounds vs the unenhanced configuration.  Ford, Chevy & Dodge have always offered "Payload Upgrade" options and the "Heavy Duty" label may simply be a marketing plot based on it.

This is conjecture on my part, since I haven't actually examined one of these models. However, the lack of a "Heavy" or "HD" listing on the Dodge & Chev Tech Specs pages suggest there may be no signiificant difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom