TT battery & solar only functions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RverBilly

Can anyone please tell me if my new, or any year, Minnie Winnie on battery & 190 solar only is supposed to provide operation of the inside operations box (battery, tanks fill lights, awning, water pump, lights), or power the 12 V refrigerator, or water heater?
The only thing it powers is the tongue jack and the four corner jacks.
Thank you

Of the items you listed, only the water heater wouldn't be operated from 12V. So if what you're describing as none of the interior systems are operating from battery, something is switched off or disconnected. Does anything inside work on shore power?

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

On shore power everything works, except…
a long story…water heater not working.
So thanks I’ll expect those at the warranty check coming up.
This begs my water heater questions - 2 water fills, 1 park water next to electric, 1 fresh tank fill next to water heater. Do both fill the water heater, and how do you know the water heater has water to use the electric?
The rv purchase briefing guy said briefly open the heater valve. If water comes out it is full, it will also let any air out. A maintenance guy later said that’s a bad thing to do.
thanks

A few things going on here.

The "park" water inlet is where you'd connect a hose, connect it to a hose bib and pressurized water will feed the trailer without the need of the pump, or filling the tank. The fresh tank fill is a port you'd use to only fill the water tank, with a hose, bucket or jug.

Whether you're using city water or the storage tank & pump, the water heater will heat the water it it's tank.

So, the question now is whether you have pressurized water coming from the fixtures, whether it's city water or provided from the storage tank and water pump. It's implied you do, since you say the water heater isn't heating and you wouldn't know that without running water (just walking through the process here).

If this is an electric-only water heater, you would need to be plugged into shore power for the water heater to work at all. If it's a propane water heater, you need a source of propane and it needs to be turned on. Some water heaters have both electric elements and propane burners. Whatever the case you'll also need a source of 12V power for the heater controls.

So, questions:

What kind of heater - electric, propane or both?
When you run a hot water faucet or fixture, does any water come out?
Any appearance of heater control operation? (Lights, switches)
Does water come out of the overpressure valve (OVP)? CAUTION - COULD BE HOT
Purging air from the OVP is not "bad" other than the hot water burn hazard.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

You may have one or more valves on the back of the water heater. If they're turned one way they isolate and bypass the water heater tank so when you winterize the RV you can drain the tank and not have to waste money filling it with antifreeze. In the other direction water flows normally through the tank. They may be in the winterizing bypass position.

Thank you very much.
Yes we have pressurized water, city or storage, on shore power. The water heater is either or both elec/gas (self detecting). It worked one day on electric, switching on the inside entry panel elec switch. The second day it only worked by switching on the propane panel switch. Since then, nothing.

“Whatever the case you'll also need a source of 12V power for the heater controls.”
My multimeter says the battery is putting out 13+ volts. Just outside the battery the fuse is good. The junction reset is in. The entry panel shows full battery charge. I reset the c/b a few times, was never popped. The circuit board look clean, everything on the heater facing looks sealed/solid. The water heater makes no sound at anytime.

So, questions:

What kind of heater - electric, propane or both?
Both
When you run a hot water faucet or fixture, does any water come out?
Full force, hot or cold side.
Any appearance of heater control operation? (Lights, switches)
No other lights or switches/reset, none hidden on the heater facing.
Does water come out of the overpressure valve (OVP)? CAUTION - COULD BE HOT
I never tested the OVP before failure. Every test has water blast, always cold.
Purging air from the OVP is not "bad" other than the hot water burn hazard. Good. Thanks.

Electrode/element bad?
Supposed to have a “remote lock out”, and/or lamp I cannot find.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Billy. There's an Owner Relations group for the motorized Winnie products and I would guess (hope) there's a similar group for the towables. I don't have that contact information for towables or I would point you to the phone number.

Water heaters are generally simple appliances so it won't take long to find the disconnect. Since neither propane or electric works it's implied it's in the control, or power to the control. My first step would be to get the make/model off of the nameplate and download the manufacturer docs for it. There should be a wiring & control diagram in there that will show what the power and control signals are. A few minutes with a meter will lead you to the issue whether it's power, gas or control.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Welcome to the forum Billy. There's an Owner Relations group for the motorized Winnie products and I would guess (hope) there's a similar group for the towables. I don't have that contact information for towables or I would point you to the phone number.
John, I saw a phone number on one of your other threads, 800-537-1885, Customer Care, which still appears to be good. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom