TT or HM?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVCal

Hi,

My budget is in low $30k and wonder whether I should start with a TT or an HM.  I spot several 5 years old or under HMs class A that fit me financially.  I don't know if the TCO of these low-end HMs will wreck me down the road.

On the other hand, I can get a decent 30-foot TT in mid $20k and spend more $$$ for aspirin because of my kids sitting right behind me.

My vacation time is only 3 weeks per year so 94% of time the TT or HM will be parking in the lot.

TIA,

Cal

You will undoubtedly get many versions on this and all will probably make sense one way or another.? We've done the whole bit from tents to MHs in the past 40+ years.? ?I would never consider pulling a trailer with a car or truck again.? For me, it's too much weight pushing a small unit..? That being said. I drive a 37+' MH and a 24' Enclosed trailer, 65' over all.? Yes at times it's a little tuff getting in and out of places but life is a challaenge it the 1st place.? At least in the Class A MHs you can run the genset and allow the jrs to watch TV or videos, or lay games? to keep themselves entertained while you are driving.? Boredom for jrs. on a trip is devastating for? the Srs as well.? Potty breaks are at a minimum and you can drive 3 to 5 hrs and then take a break, stretch and fuel up at the same time.? Towing a smaller car or truck alllows you to motivate once you are camped.? These are my preferences because when I drive a vehicle I want to relax and riding around in a pickup truck is not relaxing to us.? Been there done that,? and now we are spoiled.? ?Many a nice MH out there for under 40 K to 50K in gassers and 60K to 80K in diesel.? I drive a gasser and love it Value of it between 34 K to 40 K and enjoy each and every moment I can use it.? Now the wife is the ooposite? Bt oh well guess it's my dog house, as long as she throws me a few crumbs and pets me once in a while.? That's my version and good luck no matter what you do.? Just remember entry level units are just? that entry level units no matter how nice they look.? you can step up a notch or 2 for just a little more.

I think the cost of maintaining a MH is more than a 5th or TT. I think a big advantage of a MH is that you can pull over anywhere and it doesn't look like you're "camping." ;) The advantage of a TT or 5th is that you can go to places that restrict the MH crowd. Boondocking. Others will express their opinions and you can digest all that info....................

Lots of opinions - here's mine.

You are still working & have kids so want to minimize the amount of $ that just sits in the driveway most of the time.

Pre pre-retirement I had a popup for that reason, but didn't have kids at home then.

It seems that the ideal thing for you is a van & trailer.

A motorhome in the price range you're talking about could be a maintenance nightmare - or not - I really don't have the experience base.  But, all that $ sits in the driveway most of the time.  With a van/trailer only half the $ ...

One of my friends is in the same boat.  They did the dream of a lifetime trip in their van/trailer in 2005. Here's Rich & Kay's Blog

Joel

RVCal said:
Hi,

My budget is in low $30k and wonder whether I should start with a TT or an HM.? I spot several 5 years old or under HMs class A that fit me financially.? I don't know if the TCO of these low-end HMs will wreck me down the road.

On the other hand, I can get a decent 30-foot TT in mid $20k and spend more $$$ for aspirin because of my kids sitting right behind me.

My vacation time is only 3 weeks per year so 94% of time the TT or HM will be parking in the lot.

You have only $30K, 3 weeks on the road, 49 weeks deadlined in storage?  Sound like an excellent case for a trailer.  30K buys an awful lot of new TT.  Trailers have no engine, drivetrain, transmission and large, expensive tires to go to hell in dead storage.  No fuel tank to allow fuel to go stale in.  Storage preparation is bonehead simple:  turn off the propane at the tanks, disconnect the batteries, raise a roof vent slightly, prop the fridge open and say bye till next time.  Hard winters may require winterization -- I'll leave that to the hard winter folks around here.

A TT will require a tow vehicle that is capable of pulling it.  What do you have?

Thank you all for your insights.

Carl Lundquist said:
You have only $30K, 3 weeks on the road, 49 weeks deadlined in storage?  Sound like an excellent case for a trailer.  30K buys an awful lot of new TT.  Trailers have no engine, drivetrain, transmission and large, expensive tires to go to hell in dead storage.  No fuel tank to allow fuel to go stale in.  Storage preparation is bonehead simple:  turn off the propane at the tanks, disconnect the batteries, raise a roof vent slightly, prop the fridge open and say bye till next time.  Hard winters may require winterization -- I'll leave that to the hard winter folks around here.

A TT will require a tow vehicle that is capable of pulling it.  What do you have?

This was exactly what I had in mind at the beginning.  I rented an HM for the last 2 summers to travel from Virginia to New Orleans.  It cost me $3,500 for each 2-week trip.  My wife and I really love the RV life.  We own a van and could easily trade up for a SUV and buy a TT.  Then I did some research and found out some used HMs were within reach.  Of course I don't expect to get an American Couch.  For entry level HMs, are their engine, power train reliable?

Shayne said:
At least in the Class A MHs you can run the genset and allow the jrs to watch TV or videos, or lay games  to keep themselves entertained while you are driving.  Boredom for jrs. on a trip is devastating for  the Srs as well.  Potty breaks are at a minimum and you can drive 3 to 5 hrs and then take a break, stretch and fuel up at the same time.  Towing a smaller car or truck alllows you to motivate once you are camped. 

You are absolutely right.  I often drive thru the night when the kids are sleeping.  When they awake, they'll start kicking the back of my seat after 1 hour of sitting still.  So the idea of owning an HM is really thrilling and tempting.

Thank you,

Cal

One last thought on my part,  bad weather.  In a MH you don't have to get out of the unit, just step on the pedal and go.  Same if you wind up in a bad area. 

There's no doubt a motorhome is the most comfortable way to travel, but with a 30K budget and only 3 weeks of use a year, I would rule that out. I'ts just not cost effective. I unhesitatingly recommend a trailer.

One factor: a motorhome in the $25-30K range is just as expensive to insure as a $200,000 one because most of the cost is motor vehicle liability insurance. Figure several hundred dollars per year, even if insuring only for the summer season. Trailer insurance is probably under $100.

What size van do you have? A full size van (not a minivan) makes an excellent tow vehicle and has some room for the kids to spread out a bit. And can have a tv and dvd player for the back seat crowd.

Back
Top Bottom