TT too heavy?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry I might have misspoke in the beginning, have a family of 5, not 5 kids.
I went back and looked, I mis-read what you had written, "Family of 5". The word "kids" after that is what I read. Not a problem. A three or four place bunkhouse trailer can be found in the 28-30 ft range, and would be a lot easier towing and parking and offer more campsites you can fit into.

Charles

I went back and looked, I mis-read what you had written, "Family of 5". The word "kids" after that is what I read. Not a problem. A three or four place bunkhouse trailer can be found in the 28-30 ft range, and would be a lot easier towing and parking and offer more campsites you can fit into.

Charles
Thanks for all the information, now if I do upgrade my tow vehicle, I’d probably search around for a used F350, would I be better off gas or diesel? It’s sole purpose besides two and from work would be to pull a camper.

Thanks for all the information, now if I do upgrade my tow vehicle, I’d probably search around for a used F350, would I be better off gas or diesel? It’s sole purpose besides two and from work would be to pull a camper.
Here is some more input for you. I bought My 2019 F150 3.5eb SC 4x4 with max tow package and every other option I wanted with plans to get a TT about 25' max. Truck had about 1750 payload and was rated about 12k pull. We are a family of 8, but now only the youngest 3 girls home.

TT shopping is a challenge and trying to find one we agreed on was not going to happen. We walked into one that had the rear full bunkhouse with 4 beds which would be perfect for the 4 girls to be able to have a space to stand and change as well as an actual door, the table dropped down for one boy and the love seat folded out for the other, and last a queen up front for us. Once the wife saw this, it was game over. Trailer is 29', 33' tip to tail, 6k unloaded and max load of 7300. Salesman focused on the overall weight, dumbest me listened and away we went.

After two seasons of trying to make the 150 work - WDH, upgraded shocks, air bags, tow mirrors, E rated tires - it was finenfor short hauls, but throw in some wind and some mountain passes and hold on...

Finally got around to doing some weighing. The 5 of us that would go are 800 pds, add 100ish for WDH, firewood, bikes and other "necessary" stuff in the bed of the truck I was already up there in payload. Now add the tongue weight. With empty fresh tank, about 950 pds, when needing to haul water and gray and black empty, 1200 pds. The truck would pull like a beast, when conditions were perfect. Decided time to upgrade.

I ordered a new 2020 F350 with the 7.3 gas engine. Went 350 because it was only $800 more and then I knew I should be good when it was time to upgrade trailer to a 5er.

As far as gas or diesel, I thought about this one too and for my driving, as fun as the torque of the diesel woyld have been, I was better with gas. My truck is my DD, pull a small yard waste trailer and our TT (about 2 weekends a month during the summer, but getting ready for an 11 day adventure). From what I was reading, the diesels do not like short runs, 20 minutes minimum and if you can't do that, prepare for potential problems. If I needed to run to the store 5 minutes away, I didn't want to have to drive extra just to be safe, or prestart my truck like my neighbors do.

Had it not been for being able to get the new 7.3 gasser, I may have ended up diesel if I was buying an older F350, but I didn't have to worry about that.

Good luck in your search. The truck market is crazy right now.

Erik

Diesels are workhorses, and darn good ones. That said, everything about them costs more. If I was looking for a great Travel Trailer hauler, and a daily driver (most of the time) I would lean towards gas. I would look at and check towing numbers and payloads as well.

Thanks, that’s some great input, I appreciate it. Unfortunately if and when I do look to upgrade it will be a used f350, 2014-2018 model.... I do have a short commute to work, 20-30 mins. If I do go 6.2 gasser, I would definitely try my hardest to find the 4.30 rear, max towing capacity on that is about 15k.

The new Ford gasser is a beast from what i hear. i have a 17 Powestroke and love it. But a 350 is the way to go lots more payload which will give you way more towing options than a 250 and the additional cost is so minumim i wonder why they even bother making a 250 these days, but i would look for a taller gear ratio pulling on the highway with a low gear will burn a ton of fuel which is why a run a 3.55

Attachments

• 20210515_123022.jpg
    20210515_123022.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 1
The new Ford gasser is a beast from what i hear. i have a 17 Powestroke and love it. But a 350 is the way to go lots more payload which will give you way more towing options than a 250 and the additional cost is so minumim i wonder why they even bother making a 250 these days, but i would look for a taller gear ratio pulling on the highway with a low gear will burn a ton of fuel which is why a run a 3.55
Wait so a 3.73 rear would be better than a 4.30, as far as burning fuel?! The towing capacity with a 6.2 gasser and 3.73 gears doesn’t seem too great at 12k

Lower gears provide more grunt off the line but suffer on the highway the other downside is payload and towing a f450 with 4.10s has a 1000lb lower payload than af350 with 3.55s but your correct it can "pull" more

Attachments

• 20210502_184150.jpg
    20210502_184150.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
It's pretty simple - the lower the gearing (higher gear ratio number), the more Rpms the engine makes to achieve a given speed. More wear & tear and more fuel but it buys you greater acceleration and hill-climbing performance. In just about all scenarios, either one is going to get the job done cause the transmission can shift gears and the engine can rev up as needed. You have to decide whether fuel economy or pleasing performance is more important to you. The frequency of towing or otherwise wanting more power is probably a consideration, but some drivers simply get frustrated if there is any lack of "go" power at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom