TT vs 5wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess not all 5th wheel trailers are the same. Go figure.
Some might be large and have full stand-up bedroom over the truck, and some you might have to crawl into the bed for lack of head space.
I think in all cases anyone can judge that for themselves as is obvious with one glance what you get.

For me it is a clear, no as I cannot go down the dirt roads with a 5th as it would tear the truck bed to pieces, and a 5th will not make the turns. 5th trailers turn much farther inside the corner than a trailer, some trailers might even follow exactly the truck path, or some might turn inside the path slightly, but a 5th grossly cuts the corner. That is me and no one else though.

QUOTE: Some might be large and have full stand-up bedroom over the truck, and some you might have to crawl into the bed for lack of head space!

We’ve had both! Crawling into the small space above the truck is for young folks or gymnasts! 😁

Not trying to be argumentative, but you can take 5th wheels into some fairly rough country....if you drive slowly. Our two favorite hunting spots (see avatar photo) down gravel and dirt roads (11 miles and 16 miles respectfully) towing 15K + 5th wheels often require chains on the camper to keep it in the roadway!

You are quite correct about a tt turning a bit tighter.....especially the shorter ones! memtb

Last edited:
As long as your not comparing an Airstream to a Sandpiper your correct to a certain extent. Comparing SqFootage I think you will find them pretty close. Fiver can have larger tanks, stronger frames, better running gear which will all play a part in cost differences.

Toy haulers are more expensive than a TT with your toy in the bed of the truck, imho significantly more.
Thats a yes and no. There are different levels of travel trailers and toy haulers. A basic toy hauler tt is cheap just like a regular tt but high end is a different story. It depends on how low or high you want to go. I have a high end toy hauler 5er its not the top end but its up there, there are plently of 5ers both toyhaulers and non toyhaulers that cost more or less than mine

Let me also add that, generally, a fifth wheel will require a bigger tow vehicle than a travel trailer.

Morning Rich, where are ya spending the winter? We spent 6 days in Evanston (Christmas with family) during the Christmas blizzard of 2021 😁 Just got home last night!

Wishing you and all rvforum members a Happy New Year! memtb
Hello Todd! Wish I knew, woulda bought you lunch at Suds!
Still home in Aspen Grove and headed back to the camper in Mesquite next week. It’ll need a refill for the propane ;) I left a space heater (USCG-approved, no sparks and fire proof), in the big basement (LOTS more space than the old bumper pull), storage area of the 5’er. Back up for the propane and all the plumbing is inside the enclosed belly. Cold snap coming to NV this weekend!

Last edited:
Hello Todd! Wish I knew, woulda bought you lunch at Suds!
Still home in Aspen Grove and headed back to the camper in Mesquite next week. It’ll need a refill for the propane ;) I left a space heater (USCG-approved, no sparks and fire proof), in the big basement (LOTS more space than the old bumper pull), storage area of the 5’er. Back up for the propane and all the plumbing is inside the enclosed belly. Cold snap coming to NV this weekend!

Would have been to se ya! Have safe travels! memtb

Any attempt to generalize what a 5W is (or is not) was doomed from the beginning. The only things that are a given is that the hitch position puts more weight on the tow vehicle and causes the trailer to turn further inside the tow vehicle. Everything else is a matter of design choices in construction and layout.

Morning Rich, where are ya spending the winter? We spent 6 days in Evanston (Christmas with family) during the Christmas blizzard of 2021 😁 Just got home last night!

Wishing you and all rvforum members a Happy New Year! memtb
Happy New year to all the Rvers out there willing to share all their knowledge and experience.

Any attempt to generalize what a 5W is (or is not) was doomed from the beginning. The only things that are a given is that the hitch position puts more weight on the tow vehicle and causes the trailer to turn further inside the tow vehicle. Everything else is a matter of design choices in construction and layout.
Well said!

You will find that most RV owners believe that whatever they prefer is the best RV but I have found that even though what I have may suit us best, that has little bearing on what will suit you and your spouse. I realize that there are experts who say that there is no advantage in steps for one RV over another, my wife who has the issue with steps will disagree. Be very careful not to put too much into the advice from any of us because you are the one who will live with your choices.
Thanks Kirk, couldn’t have said it better myself!

If your tow vehicle breaks down you might wish for a TT and not a 5th wheel. This happened to us last fall and it took all day to find a tow that could deal with our 5er.
With a TT we could've gotten a tow right away. I think our 5th wheel is going to be sold and we will buy a TT.

If your tow vehicle breaks down you might wish for a TT and not a 5th wheel. This happened to us last fall and it took all day to find a tow that could deal with our 5er.
With a TT we could've gotten a tow right away. I think our 5th wheel is going to be sold and we will buy a TT.
Most any tow service should have a vehicle with a 5th wheel plate for towing semi-trailers. Back in the ‘90’s we towed our 5th wheel several times with our Class 8 Freightliner! The pins on the 5th wheel are the same size as a commercial trailer! memtb

Tell that to Good Sam. They couldn't find anybody to tow us.
Most any tow service should have a vehicle with a 5th wheel plate for towing semi-trailers. Back in the ‘90’s we towed our 5th wheel several times with our Class 8 Freightliner! The pins on the 5th wheel are the same size as a commercial trailer! memtb

We are on our second fifth wheel, and that's in the UK where they are as rare as rocking horse droppings. If we can get recovered there, and we have been, I cannot see it being a considering factor in the US.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom