TT vs 5wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In a pinch, a RV 5th wheel can be towed by a commercial semi tractor as the pin size is the same and the RV will couple to a commercial 5th wheel hitch. This means a big rig tow truck can tow the trailer as they have the means to tow commercial trailers away from an accident where the tractor has been damaged.

Not a very powerful endorsement for Good Sam’s! memtb
They were totally worthless. AAA for the truck was good and they were the ones that found a tow for the 5er that I paid out of pocket. Late got reimbursed for the tow.

I am just curious how towing coverage works for a TT or 5W?

On my Class A GEICO covers "towing to the nearest suitable facility" which is a consideration that not all service stations can work on a Class A.

Is TT or 5W towing covered under the truck insurance? Do you get a separate policy? Just curious.

I am just curious how towing coverage works for a TT or 5W?

On my Class A GEICO covers "towing to the nearest suitable facility" which is a consideration that not all service stations can work on a Class A.

Is TT or 5W towing covered under the truck insurance? Do you get a separate policy? Just curious.
I have a good Sam policy that covers both the truck and the trailer to closest authorized repair facility (ford dealership) they do however ask about year make and size of 5er .

Hello Todd! Wish I knew, woulda bought you lunch at Suds!
Still home in Aspen Grove and headed back to the camper in Mesquite next week. It’ll need a refill for the propane ;) I left a space heater (USCG-approved, no sparks and fire proof), in the big basement (LOTS more space than the old bumper pull), storage area of the 5’er. Back up for the propane and all the plumbing is inside the enclosed belly. Cold snap coming to NV this weekend!
Hello Todd! Wish I knew, woulda bought you lunch at Suds!
Still home in Aspen Grove and headed back to the camper in Mesquite next week. It’ll need a refill for the propane ;) I left a space heater (USCG-approved, no sparks and fire proof), in the big basement (LOTS more space than the old bumper pull), storage area of the 5’er. Back up for the propane and all the plumbing is inside the enclosed belly. Cold snap coming to NV this weekend!
Hey rich clover, just curious but are you towing that chaparral with your 2018 ram 2500? Happy towing and new year.

Hey rich clover, just curious but are you towing that chaparral with your 2018 ram 2500? Happy towing and new year.
Yes. Successfully for about 15,000 miles.
I have weighed the rig, truck and camper separately. Local Cat scales. Camper loaded up for a summer road trip to north WI. It’s been there, round trip twice, and a few times to Mesquite, NV, round trip.
At risk of being scorched, fried, fricasseed, I’ll admit that I’m overloaded wrt payload. But well within RAWR, tire load range and wheel limit. The Cummins doesn’t care.
Short bed, Anderson hitch.
A much happier 2022 to you and yours!
C2BC37E8-FDA6-4572-875A-F9B1859E95AD.jpeg

I have weighed the rig, truck and camper separately. Local Cat scales. Camper loaded up for a summer road trip to north WI. It’s been there, round trip twice, and a few times to Mesquite, NV, round trip.
At risk of being scorched, fried, fricasseed, I’ll admit that I’m overloaded wrt payload. But well within RAWR, tire load range and wheel limit. The Cummins doesn’t care.
View attachment 151135
There is a MASSIVE difference between being overweight and knowing it, and being oblivious or ignorant about being overweight.
When you know it - your prepared and take ownership if or when something goes wrong, those that deny it will blame the truck manufacturer the stars and fairys, never taking ownership.
At least you know it 😜

For my use the 5th wheel trailer is necessary for towing doubles with my 18' 3500 lb fishin' rig....other bumper pull trailers
We had truck campers in the '60 and '70s which pulling a bumper pull flatbed with gear or a boat was easy.
Wanted more room so bought a 26' 9200 lb 5th wheel rv trailer. Had a custom made hitch put on the 5er to pull the boat. All three 5th wheel trailers we've owned since has a custom fabricated hitch for towing doubles.

View attachment 151135
Blind side 90 nice job, not sure I can get my F350 & 5W into a full 90. (y)

View attachment 151135
I’m not that bold but thanks for your honesty. I’m currently looking at a kz durango 290rlt half ton towable with 1410 dry pin that I would feel comfy with. But kz dealers in PA are like hens teeth. I found one 3 hrs away I’m going to look at tomorrow. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the kz durango brand? Thanks in advance.

There is a MASSIVE difference between being overweight and knowing it, and being oblivious or ignorant about being overweight.
When you know it - your prepared and take ownership if or when something goes wrong, those that deny it will blame the truck manufacturer the stars and fairys, never taking ownership.
At least you know it 😜
Hey steveblonde, you seem to have alot of knowledge tucked away up there in calgary. How bout this. I am going to look at a kz durango 290rlt 5er in the a.m.. It looks nice in pics and the pin weight fits for how much I want to tow with my 2020 ram 2500, gvw 10k, ccc3100,: 6.4L, 3.73, 8 speed, 21500gcwr. It seems kz dealers are rare, at least in PA. I wouldn’t want to drive 3 hours one way for service if needed. Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom