TTs with Torsion Axles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

triden121

I know of 3 travel trailer manufacturers that are currently using torsion axles. I will list them below. Does anyone know of any others?

Airstream

Lance

Forest River Rockwood

I have a rebuilt Dutchman ECO by Skamper with torsion axles. Axles are original and still in good shape. My experience has been that with torsion axles the trailer has a little lower center of gravity and seems to handle better when towing. Just my experience.

Tom,

I agree 100% I have a 2007 Adirondack 27FK DS with a BAL frame and AlKO torsion axles. I am in the market for a new TT and I would prefer to get something with torsion axles again. I am a wholesaler of trailer brakes and suspension so I know how common broken spring and hangers are. I wish more TT manufacturers would use torsion axles on their units under 10,000#. So far, a Rockwood is looking like the best choice for me. 

If a trailer you really like doesn't have torsion axles, you could swap the axles for a torsion type. I know MorRyde has aftermarket kits, and I'm confident the others do as well.  If the new axle can use the same tires & wheels, the cost isn't that bad.

Thank you for your reply. MorRyde makes some great products. They are my neighbor every year at the Florida RV Supershow in Tampa. Due to time constraints, I am looking to buy something that requires the least amount of modifications out of the box. The first project that I will need to do is to convert the brakes to disc brakes. I can do this project one wheel at a time in my own driveway. Hopefully, I can live with everything else as is.   

We had an 1987 Holiday Rambler trailer with MorRyde with we used until we bought the HR Imperial DP in 1994[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]. Used it all around New England and the Maritimes. Not always the best roads but it did very well. [/font]Very good product IMHO.

We really like the Lance trailers and are thinking of downsizing to one. Unfortunately, the new ones are big bucks and trying to find a used here in the southeast is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

my Roadmaster Predator toy hauler has Dexter Torflex axles.
the company no longer produces these, I think they had one big quality control problem.

I almost bought a Lance until I found out that they have just as many quality issues as trailers costing much less. Lots of unanswered BBB complaints.   

6:00am going to the smokey mts. 300 ft from my driveway, had to take evasive action turning right at an intersection. apparently this vehicle didn't see the big white gmc/w trailer. when I turned sharp the tires hadn't made it to the curve and ran over a concrete end of the city's new culvert.
dealer only charged me $3k to fix it.

My BIL has a triple axle toy hauler that has torsion axles. We had to change a tire while he was parked in his site one time. Because the axles are mounted directly to the frame, the weight of the entire side of the trailer needs to be jacked up to get a tire off the ground.

Without having a 10-ton jack on hand, we had to enlist the help of several neighbors and their jacks just to get enough power to get the side of the trailer high enough to get the tire off.

I'll stick with traditional springs and their ease of maintenance.

triden121 said:
I almost bought a Lance until I found out that they have just as many quality issues as trailers costing much less. Lots of unanswered BBB complaints. 

I am certainly not a Lance manufacturing fan, but the number of BBB complaints is a very poor indicator of a company. I ran a small company for 20 years, and we avoided the BBB like the plague. They are just an organized Mafia and are effectively in the protection racket. Those that purchase a BBB membership are those that cannot get legitimacy any other way. If I had ever had a complaint from the BBB, I would have ignored them as well. I dealt with any legitimate complaints from any of my customers up front, and with the customer. Those that complain to the BBB are often those that are unreasonable anyway.

IMHO, of course. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom