Turning zamp controller off...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

We have the Keystone cougar OTG solar pkg with zamp 30 controller, 2 6 volt batteries, xantrex inverter 2000k. Question. Is there any way to turn off solar controller? Need to unhook batteries to add some water??? I know use battery disconnect switch but that doesn't turn off solar. Can you turn it off? Or unhooked it the only way?

Disconnect the solar panels from the controller, this will turn it off. Some controllers can be damaged if the battery is disconnected while the panels are still feeding it.

Disconnect the solar panels from the controller, this will turn it off. Some controllers can be damaged if the battery is disconnected while the panels are still feeding it.
How do you do that Lou, not everyone is familiar with the wiring. You have to admit a switch would be nice. In my case I’m replacing my batteries.

How do you do that Lou, not everyone is familiar with the wiring. You have to admit a switch would be nice. In my case I’m replacing my batteries.
Locate where the (+) wire from the solar panels connects to the solar controller and disconnect it. Tape the end so it doesn't brush against any grounded surfaces, then reconnect it after you replace the batteries.

Locate where the (+) wire from the solar panels connects to the solar controller and disconnect it. Tape the end so it doesn't brush against any grounded surfaces, then reconnect it after you replace the batteries.
Good idea, you may also want to take a pic before unhooking anything to make sure it gets put back together correctly.

Why do you want to disconnect the batteries just to add water? That’s not necessary.

Unless the cables are in the way but that problem is solvable too. If you install them where they're less convenient to service them, then odds are good they won't get serviced.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Just a question but don't the better battery they say to get for solar not need to be watered. I looked up the batteries before and I think their more expensive but even though I don't understand the solar hook up they confused me with the battery too. Just saying for future, I think they cost more too .

It could be inferred the "better" battery is AGM or lithium, and in that case there is no need or even way to be watered, they're sealed. Figure on 2x or more vs flooded lead acid, so you pay for that feature. It's not a license to ignore them though as terminals need to be periodically serviced. Corrosion, vibration, flexing can cause connections to go bad on any battery or system, so even if you're not watering every few months there's still attention to be paid.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

It could be inferred the "better" battery is AGM or lithium, and in that case there is no need or even way to be watered, they're sealed. Figure on 2x or more vs flooded lead acid, so you pay for that feature. It's not a license to ignore them though as terminals need to be periodically serviced. Corrosion, vibration, flexing can cause connections to go bad on any battery or system, so even if you're not watering every few months there's still attention to be paid.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
But without sulfuric acid mist escaping from the cells you'll have substantially less corrosion on the terminals of a sealed battery versus a conventional flooded lead acid battery.

Ya I just did the reading a while ago being curious of batteries now and the charging prosses for sitting a bit , that's why I like these smaller solar chargers you can set up to keep a battery at charge without over charging it. Always thought using a marine battery in my Santa Fee when needed for like lites it was great never even needed to be charged , lol . I'm one who if I can I'm not a bank like I use to be but I always tried to get close to the better so I didn't have to do it twice as I know we all do.

But without sulfuric acid mist escaping from the cells
Aftermarket caps like water miser reduce misting to negligible levels. The only thing on the tops of my batteries at the end of the season is a light layer of dust. I still remove, clean, and grease all terminations every year, as it resets the clock on any latent corrosion or fastener torque issues. Easier to do it on my terms than wait for it to fail, then lament how I knew better.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

This is what I have done until I was able to install a circuit breaker. But you should be able to top off your batteries without disconnecting them.

Back
Top Bottom