TV antena crank leak.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JasonJ400

We have had some major heavy rain lately but it has allowed me to go leak hunting and I'm quite pleased everything seems pretty tight except the TV antenna. The rain is coming right down the fold down shaft and dripping off the crank handle on to the sofa bed  :mad: . I have a trash bag hung from it for now. Any tips / tricks for sealing that up? I was going to spray adhesive some heavy duct tape over it from the roof to the bottom of the mast while it was folded down so it still flexes should I want to raise it but I don't suspect that will last very long. Either that or I was looking at some roof top drain pipe vents covers at the hardware store I was thinking of making a kind of folding boot out of since they are less than $10.
Oh and what's the correct drill for raising that thing? Mine seems froze up but I want to know the correct direction to crank it to raise it so I don't break it trying to go the wrong way....
Thanks in advance.
Jason

couple of decent you tube videos out there. Mine was leaking down the shaft, took it apart, cleaned it and put some red synthetic grease(just a thin layer) on it where it mates up with the housing.  seams to have worked so far this year and it goes up and down much better too, no herky jerky.

Someone else was having issues just the other day and a member provided a UTube video showing proper maintenance.  How old is the RV?

It's a 1978. I'll get in there with some water proof Bell Ray Marine grease but I may need to make some kind of boot for it too. These rains have been crazy but it is helping me find leaks. I plan to keep a pool cover over the roof for long term storage.

JasonJ400 said:
It's a 1978. I'll get in there with some water proof Bell Ray Marine grease but I may need to make some kind of boot for it too. These rains have been crazy but it is helping me find leaks. I plan to keep a pool cover over the roof for long term storage.

Being a 1978, chances are the quad ring seal has dried up and is probably cracked. Get a new center operating shaft and it will come with a new seal on it. Easy to do
Look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ag4cy2gWU0

This is the one I needed. You'll have to do your homework to make sure you order the right one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002UHVIW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom