TV batwing crank broke or fell off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat

My batwing crank has been cracked since I got this motorhome, but I have probably used the antenna only a dozen times, so I just cranked carefully.  Tonight the crank fell off entirely.  Then a spring and the disk that rotates the antenna fell after it. 

I'm not sure if this is due to the crack in the round part of the handle that goes over the metal shaft, or the missing screw that appears to hold the handle onto the shaft.  The only part number is on the disk: DH-1001. 

Has anybody had to replace the crank?  I have emailed Winegard to ask how to get the part.  I hope the only problem is the missing screw and, of course, that the cracked crank should be replaced.

I just found out today the Bears are in the Super Bowl Sunday.  Now I'll have to find someplace to watch the game. 

--pat

We had that happen twice, on our previous unit. Both times, local RV dealers had them in stock. They were not expensive. I suspect that is a common problem.

Ray D

Pat,

The crank should be available at any RV store. a common allen set screw holds it in place. Just put the spring on the shaft and attach the crank. Very minor problem. :)

Think we've all been there done that.  I know people that always carry an extra.

I agree these parts are readily available at any RV dealer as they beak often, although mine hasn't yet, knock on wood!!

I'll pick up a couple cranks at CampingWorld in the next day or so.  I had an RV service guy out here for something else, and he said when replacing the crank below the spring to compress the spring about half way. 

I started putting together other tools that would crank the thing as well.  A size 1/4 hex driver fits the metal shaft.  I have a small wratcheting screwdriver that would operate it.  Then I painted nail polish on the two screws that the notches in the rotator plate face when the plate is facing the correct direction for stowage.  I'll get the cranks, though, in case I ever sell the place.  Need it to look complete.  This was yet another enjoyable experience getting to now something in here.

--pat

Back
Top Bottom