Two Wanna Bees

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patnernie

We are excited to find this forum - have been looking for a couple years - not serious - fun - Now we are about to retire in 6 months and want to get (we think) a diesel - not very old -  - we have several questions we would love opinions - We were told by a dealer in CA that the quietest rig he had ever driven was the Alfa see ya - we have not done test drives yet - is that true? - Second question - Do people ever share a vehicle - we think we only want to use for about 6 months in a year - and would like to share the second six months - any experience with that -  We are not ruling out the possiblility that we like it so much that we would become fulltimers, however.  How do we go about finding the right rig for us besides looking at dealers - is there a place to fiind out the problems with different models - thank you so much

Hi, and Welcome to the RV Forum! Congrat's on your retirement(s)! ;D

As a relative newbie to RV'ing myself, I'll leave it up to others here that have much more experience with mfg's and models. I will sya that a diesel pusher is the way to go. Mine is gas, but I couldn't pass up on the offer I got. I can see some potential problems with sharing however. Don't forget that this will be your second or even first home, and not everyone will take as good care of it as you will. Deciding who gets it when can be a problem too, as well as dividing up the costs of insurance, licensing, maintenance, etc. Not that it can't be done, but you'll surely want things spelled out very clearly in the beginning.

I'm sure others will be along shortly with far more detailed answers to your questions.

Karl

Welcome to our friendly forum.

I've never driven an Alfa myself, although I've looked at them while shopping for a coach, so I can't really speak for how quiet they are. But, since diesel motorhomes in the class you're looking at all have their engine in the rear, they will all drive much quieter than gas powered coaches which typically have their engine in the front.

A number of folks have asked/talked about the idea of sharing their coach with someone else, but I don't know anyone who has actually done it. As Karl suggests, it's fraught with problems, as is any dual-ownership/dual-usage property. All kinds of issues can arise, from maintenance, care, cleaning, damage, repair, insurance, liability, etc. Maybe someone who currently is in a dual-ownership situation will jump in.

You might check Motorhome Review Online, http://www.motorhomereviewonline.com/, for some input.  Last I knew, the site owner had no association with any manufacturer or other sales business.  Beware, though, that people write complaints about problems but often forget to mention good news.

[ How do we go about finding the right rig for us besides looking at dealers - ]

Hi you guys,
I think the best place to pick a rig is at an FMCA rally.  All the manufactures bring their new rigs (and sometimes used)  to the shows and you can wander through them to see features. Dealers  often take in trades during rallies when they sell new ones , so they may have a pre owned rig for you.  It's a one stop shopping venture vs. driving all over to see who has what.

The only comment I can make on the Alpha See ya is that I noted the cupboards are very high inside.  I would need a ladder to reach items in top places.  This probably is not the most important feature to consider but I did note it.  They also all look alike from the outside.

California will host a FMCA rally in Pomona in October.  Minot, North Dakota is hosting a National  FMCA Rally in August. The Great North American RV rally is being held in Redmond Oregon in July.  If you don't have a rig  you can buy a day pass ticket to get into these events to "shop."

Good Luck,
Betty Brewer

Pat n' Ernie,

When one hears a salesman (and I was one all my working career) say, such and such brand is the ------iest I have ever seen, I'll bet dollars to donuts he has a self serving interest in making the statement.  As has been mentioned, most diesel coaches (except for TREK) are pushers, so the engine is thirty five or so feet behind you.  With the way mufflers are installed by the chassis manufacturers and sound insulation around the engine compartment, I doubt there is much noticeable difference in the sound level between makes.

Therefore I would not make that criterion a consideration when comparing motorhomes.  Look for reliability of service support from the manufacturer as the primary consideration, then whittle down your choices as to your needs, and the features offered by the models that fit your needs.

If this is your first coach purchase, it would be strongly recommended to ask lots of questions of experienced RVers, because your intuition may not necessarily guide you in the right direction in making choices as to necessary features and frivolous features in a motorhome.

So, Welcome to the RV Forum where we are glad you have chosen to join us and please ask all your questions here before signing on the dotted line.  The salesman will tell you what's in his interest for him to sell you today...and not necessarily what's in your interest to buy.

Remember that an error in buying a motorhome that's worth a couple of hundred thousand can be a costly mistake, when you consider the depreciation in the first three years.  Information is power.

Hope you enjoy the RV Forum!

Fist and foremost thing to remember Salesman will tell you anything to sell you on their product.  We did have an occasion to look at a Alfa See Ya and Sam was very impressed, just not favorably impressed.  If you would like to climb up on a stool everytime you want something out of the cupboard that would be coach to consider.  If you are like most and don't really care to climb the stool but it on the reject list.

As Betty suggested attending a FMCA rally will allow you to compare several different models  and talk to owners of different coaches.  Here on the RV Forum is one of the best sources for information.

Oh did I mention that Salemen will tell you almost anything to get you to buy their product.

It is has been so exciting to receive your replies.  Thank you all so much!  Our learning curve has spiraled up in the past 24 hours.  We have decided (thanks to Betty) our next step should be to attend a Rally - We have vacation time in July - Would you recommend the one in Oregon - North American or the one in Yellowstone? - Can anyone tell us anything else we should know about attending before we buy airline tickets - like where to stay (We don't have our own motel/hotel with us yet).  Also, could anyone suggest particular rigs to look for - we would so like for our first purchase to be our last!  Thank you so much for the great info and advice -  :D

The Yellowstone rally is a small RV Forum rally and vendors will not be present.  The FMCA rally in Minot ND August 15 thru 18 this year would be a very good bet.  Another great place to look and compare Rv/s would be Lazy Days in Seffner, Florida near Tampa.  The have a huge inventory of many different brands making comparison shopping very easy.  We bought our American Eagle through them and took delivery at a pre-rally to the Ogden FMCA rally.  Our saleman was Ken Ware.  Also one of the framily Bill Whetstone will soon be a salesman at Lazy days.

When we bought our American Eagle we attended a couple FMCA rallies and a couple other rallies while shopping then when we knew exactly what we wanted we started calling different dealers and shopping for price.  Had I been to Lazy Days I could have probably eliminated several coaches right on their lot.

Smoky has just returned from seeing their new coach being built at the Newmar factory.  He has posted an excellent report here on the forum.

This RV Forum is probably the best place to ask questions and get good answers to help you in your endeavor to find the perfect coach for you.

[We have decided (thanks to Betty) our next step should be to attend a Rally - We have vacation time in July - Would you recommend the one in Oregon - North American or the one in Yellowstone? - Can anyone tell us anything else we should know about attending before we buy airline tickets - like where to stay (We don't have our own motel/hotel with us yet).? Also, could anyone suggest particular rigs to look for - we would so like for our first purchase to be our last!? Thank you so much for the great info and advice - ]

Hi you guys,

I would suggest that if you want to combine a vacation and an RV search to go to Oregon Great North American RV rally. It offers all types of RV's for sale.? If you click on the event on our July? calendar you will find a link giving you all the registration info? about the Rally in Oregon.? You can get a Passport price of $59.00 per person to stay? off site and drive in daily.? It allows you to see the? nightly entertainment which in the past has been quite good.?
I have flown in and out of the? small uncrowded airport in Redmond many times. The? commuter? passenger flights usually go to Portland then back to California.? Where in California do you live?? I have flown in and out of Ontario,? Long Beach and LAX? to Redmond.? Rent a car and have fun.

Bend, Oregon is very close to Redmond.? You could look in a triple AAA book for hotels in the area.? Rallies fill the? local hotels and motels quickly with vendors etc. so I'd suggest calling right away for reservations. Sisters, Oregon is also close to Redmond and they have neat quilt shows? and gift shops in their town. Lots to see and do in the? Central Oregon area.? Check the mentioned web site for ideas.? If you live in So Cal the RIVA California RV Show is held in Pomona October 14-23.? ?It too is a big one with lots of vendors selling their new motor homes.

Guess I should designate in our calendar the difference between a Forum rally and an RV show.? A show is a commercial enterprise selling RV's and information on RVing while our forum rallies are a meeting of those of us who have RVs and meeting to make merry.? Good luck in your search.

Betty Brewer

Thanks for your advice - We have airline tickets for the rally July 11-13 in Oregon and we will stay in Bend - Is there anything else we should do to prepare for the rally to get the most out of it? - will we see you there?  thank you again :D

patnernie said:
- Is there anything else we should do to prepare for the rally to get the most out of it? - will we see you there?? thank you again :D

Well I'd say get a spiral notebook on which to take notes.? Terry says? drive several different rigs.? One advantage of shopping at a rally is that you can drive? different rigs over the same roadway and make a good comparison.? I'd also say you need to get lots of rest as the rv shows? are fun packed.? Exhibits are usually open from? 9-5. Entertainment is held in the evenings.? They will give you a schedule of events? program and we like to use a highlighter marker to? highlight the? events we want to attend.? If you send me a private email I'll give you my cell phone? number? and perhaps we can? hook up at one of the events or exhibits. Happy RV shopping.

Betty

Is there anything else we should do to prepare for the rally to get the most out of it?

Take along a digital camera and a few flash cards, then take pictures of the good and bad parts of each coach to correspond to the notes you make. Should make it easier to sit in the comfort of your motel room to re-visualize what you really want and which coach had it, and eliminate those with undesireable design elements.

Back
Top Bottom