U.S. to Canada? passport needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
regarding the AZ law...

I'm an Italinan by birth and an AMERICAN by CHOICE!!

My Italian father with a second grage education and my older brother waited to years in Italy to get a visa for the US.  My mother and I waited another two years and she and I came here in 1958.  Every year, we went to the post office to fill out an "Alien Registration Form" until we "CHOSE" EAGERLY to become US CITIZENS.  My father didn't speak EGLISH very well and my mother still does not speak ENGLISH very well but my father tried to embrace the ENGLISH language.  My mother still tries to empbrace the ENGLISH language.

What pisses me off is when someone is "DEFIANT" in not wanting to speak ENGLISH in the US.  At least try like my father and mother!!

Regarding the CRIMINALIENS, you know the ones that are here as criminals.....I have absolutely no compasion for them or their families or small children....they broke the LAW beacuse they stepped in line in frot of good folks like my father and mother, again to embrace the culture, values and a great life the USA has to offer.

CRIMINALIENS, as criminals should be DEPORTED including everyone in their family.....I DO NOT WANT A SINGLE PENNY OF MY TAXES PAYING FOR CRIMINALIEN SERVICES!!!

I

Wendy said:
My Colorado DL doesn't say anything about citizenship. So if they ask me for proof of US citizenship, what do I do?

Wendy

My AZ DL doesn't say anything about citizenship either, but the AZ law accepts it. There was a trainer on TV last nite being interviewed. He described the process the LEO should follow; one question being "are you a US citizen or have legal documentation papers?" If the "suspect" says "yes", the investigation is supposed to be over and the "suspect" can go on his/her way. Don't even have to show anything. ::)

"are you a US citizen or have legal documentation papers?" If the "suspect" says "yes", the investigation is supposed to be over and the "suspect" can go on his/her way.

Does "si" work as well?

After inflaming this thread earlier, I have refrained from any posts.  But after reading an article in the Globe & Mail, which comes as close to our national newspaper as there is, I thought I'd share it with you all.  It is typical Canadian satire.  That is to say there is a bite to the humour, and with Canadians being thrown in jail in Vermont for inadvertently crossing an unmarked border, there is a healthy air of concern how enforcement will evolve.  It is a shame as Donna and I enjoyed our winter in Arizona adding our dollars to the $440 million Canadians spend there, but I really am concerned.
    For what it's worth, here is the link to the article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/some-advice-for-the-stereotypical-arizona-snowbird/article1555409/

Ed

Hfx_Cdn:

Did you voice this same concern for lawbreakers fleeing to Canada during the Viet Nam War?

So is the law the law, or what we want it to be.

Don't worry, come on down, as Canada has always been one of our closest friends.

Kerry

Let's not get into an historical discussion unles you want to go back to President Polk.  For your information the draft dodgers were all required to register with the Canadian Government, no AWAL military were allowed, and if you follow their paths since coming to Canada, you will see that most have become fine Canadian citizens.  In addition.  What has accepting draft dodgers got to do with a requirement for everyone to permanently carry documentation to prove you are not in the country illegally?  It is that requirement that concerns me, not whether you allow people to migrate.  Unlike previous posters, I have encountered officious US border patrol officers who threatened to refuse me entry, it was along the BC - Oregon border, and we were left feeling helpless as entry to your country is a privileged, not a right.  You could not talk or reason with her, she didn't search us or the vehicle, she just said that she wasn't ready to allow us in.  Eventually, after making us wait over an hour in the sweltering heat, she said we could go, I guess she proved that she was the boss.  As I said, there are several towns on the Quebec - Vermont border, and someone from home, dropped their kid at the hockey arena, went up the street.  Next thing they knew they were surrounded by border patrol and thrown into jail.  Our Prime Minister had to call your President to get them released.  Again, tell me how 150 years of precedence goes out the window, they used to share firefighting equipment, but no longer.
    Somewhat off topic, but it is not a 9-11 issue, it isn't even an illegal immegrant issue, it has become a concern for people who want to travel to your fair country, plus it isn't the new need to have a passport, it is now the requirement to carry it on your body at all times, just in case some officious law enforcement officer wants to take issue with our being here.  It may seem far fetched to some of you, but so did a lot of things until they occurred.

ENOUGH SAID

Ed

Ed

Unlike previous posters, I have encountered officious US border patrol officers who threatened to refuse me entry, it was along the BC - Oregon border, and we were left feeling helpless as entry to your country is a privileged, not a right.  You could not talk or reason with her, she didn't search us or the vehicle

BC-Oregon border?  Huh?

Ed, there is NO SUCH THING as an "illegal immigrant"  If a person is immigrating, he/she is following the process and paperwork necessary to gain immigrant status. If the person is here ILLIGALLY, then no process is being followed and He/she is only a lawbreaking entrant with no right to be here,,period..  the PC/BS  is being used by the media and others because it disturbs there delicate sensabilities and they can't call a spade a spade.>>>Dan

Yip, we've got a problem. :-[  We've allowed it to get worse by being way too tolerant of illegal aliens of all nationalities.  When their student Visas expire, way too many people become illegal.  The system is just overwhelmed.  Below is a link to an article from the Houston Chronicle that is an example of the need for a total overhaul of the system.  And the need for lots and lots of money.  There is no simple fix.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/special/immigration/6115223.html

Right on Utahclaimjumper.... amazing that so many don't want to call illegals  whatt they are... they are illegals !
Immigrants follow the law process..... whether we agree with how that works or not.......
We have gone into CN several times and do not mind at all that we have to have a passport to prove our legality.... Lets remember that not all the problems come in from the south west......

Calling them illegal immigrants or undocumented aliens is like calling drug dealers  undocumented or unlicensed pharmacists

The cost to cleanse society is substantial but would be far less than continuing the current Federal ignorance and related drains on the US economy....

I am an outsider, so forgive my ignorance. 

I would expect that legal papers are required to work.  Here, I have to provide my Social Insurance Number(SIN) so that my employer can give 1/3 of my salary to the government.  I would have to provide my SIN card to get any social benefits from the government.  Same for healthcare, only those living here legally can apply for a medicare card, the same card is required for every visit at the hospital or doctor.

How do the "illegals" get work or benefits from social programs? 

I'm not a expert in the area but as a concerned US citizen and watching the $ funnelled into the cause of a few, Unfortunately, many obtain phony documents that are readily accepted by many employers.... many work for cash under and around the table... if birth takes place in the US, the child is automatically a US citizen ( special package deals exist where foreigners can come in, have their children born as a US citizen then work the system to get in themselves.... on healthcare, they just walk into an emergency room and the medical services have to be provided free - ( paid for by taxes from the rest of us)..provide low income housing... subsidize it (more tax $0 ..... children have to be allowed into the school system..(more tax $).. have to be fed free meals .(more tax $) ...we change all the educational curriculum  - add teachers and schools (more tax $) .... add police (more tax $) ...  ACORN registers the dead, the ficticious, and the illegals... they vote... .. etc, etc...
Trillion here and trillion there... pretty soon it adds up ....

children have to be allowed into the school system

And the schools are not allowed to ask about a child's citizenship.  There's a border town in California where more than half the school population are kids who live in Mexico, use an address in that California town, walk across the border every day, and go to a U.S. school paid for with U.S. tax dollars (OURS!).  When 40-50 kids use one address, you know it's illegal, but no one wants to do anything about it.  If those children weren't in the U.S. school, that school system would lose most of it's per child funding and then the teachers would be out of work because the American kids might have to go elsewhere.  And to make matters worse, it means Mexico doesn't have to fund quality schools on their side of the border.  It's a rotten system.

ArdraF

You are all missing the point I was making, this law does make one iota difference as to who is legally in your fine country.  What it does is make it necessary for everyone, including American citizens to carry on their person proof of citizenship.  It is that process that has people around the world, including many Americans comparing this act to **** Germany.  It has absolutely nothing to do with legal or illegal immigrants, nor does it have anything to do with terrorism, 9-11 or draft dodgers.
    Similarly, it has nothing to do with the fact that the agricultural industry of Arizona would fall flat if the Mexicans, legal and illegal stop coming there to work the fields.  Donna and I spent a lot of time driving back roads this past winter.  We noted there were mostly converted school buses with Mexican plates.  I'm sure they carry their passports to come in, but the Mexican government is already advising citizens not to travel to the US.  Don't assume that this cheap labour will continue, and despite the "poor economy, ie 25% unemployment", these jobs won't get filled by Americans, or they would have already been.
    Ardra, how does requiring the carrying of documentation fix he problem that obviously exists.  It just seem odd to me that when Europe, with all of its history of wars, closed border, and racial intolerance has moved to open borders, without border guards, only sign posts to say you've gone from one country to the next, that our 2 countries that have a 200 year (198 actually) history of free and open relations seem to have gone the other way.  That's the point of this string, the new American requirement for passports to come and visit you, be it a minute, a month, or six months.  Plus, there is my personal concern that laws like the new Arizona one will only make it worse when some overly aggressive law enforcement officer decides to check my "papers" and I don't have them on me.

Ed,
I did not want to get into this debate, however, you are very much incorrect. This law has everything to do with a persons legal status. In your fine country if I go to a doctor or Hospital I do  not get covered by your government medical plan, here a illegal does get free medical as a hospital cannot refuse to treat a person. Then many states have State Medical plans that also cover illegal people.

In my State illegals collect welfare as the agency's cannot ask for papers.

I for one would and do pay living wages to help, my landscaper shows his crews 1040 yearly, so I know each member of his company is paying taxes and is here the proper way.
This law was passed, as I am sure you know by people who became afraid due to drug induced killings and the Federal government not acting.
I  feel bad that a neighbor from the North feels uncomfortable, however, I have had Mounties ask for Identification. And by the way I grew up where I did not know we had Border guards, I just motored across the lake and back, but the times are changing, and protection of our citizens and guests has a important roll in freedom.
If asked show your drivers licence and smile,like the rest of us will.
Jim

Again we digress, it has nothing to do with whether you are anywhere legally or not, it has a lot to do with carrying proof of citizenship, and for what it's worth a driver's license won't do.  As for medical attention, as far as I know, all you need to do is walk in and you will receive attention, but you may receive a bill after when leaving, plus if you recall, Sarah Palin came under severe heat for admitting that she and her family used Canadian Medical facilities when she was younger.  No one says that we shouldn't carry a driver's license when driving a vehicle, but I say again, I don't carry a pass[port say when I go to the hot springs, in fact since I wasn't driving, I didn't even have my license with me.
    I say again, take a step back, it has nothing to do with legal status, and it will at some point backfire.  If you have a problem with your welfare system fix it, don't create another problem that could affect many innocent people.

Ed is right. The Arizona law means that WE ALL have to be able to prove citizenship. Now, the odds are that those who are blonde and white-skinned will not be asked for proof of citizenship but anyone who appears to be Mexican, may well have to prove that they are US citizens. I have been asked questions in Spanish on more than one occasion - I guess my dark Irish looks are a bit Hispanic so am I in danger of being pulled over and REQUIRED to prove that I'm a citizen? I have no problem showing my passport when I go in or out of a country. But why should I have to show it when I'm wandering around Arizona doing touristy things? How many of you carry your passport 24/7? How many of you HAVE a passport? There is a serious problem with illegals and border states are bearing the brunt of it. But is moving toward Naziism the way to solve that problem?

Ok. I'm done, slame away.
Wendy

Back
Top Bottom