UK Newby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mick & Pat

Hi

From Mick & Pat, of Stafford, Staffordshire,England.

Staffordshire is centrally positioned in England. I retired in November 2004 at the old age of 52  ;D ;D after serving 30 years with the British Police.

We are currently in the process of selling our UK house to buy an American RV in which we will live 24/7 and tour the UK & Europe.

I hold a British class 1 HGV (heavy goods vehicle) licence which basically means I can drive ANY size of RV legally alllowed onto British or European roads.

However the problem with buying a LARGE RV would be then trying to finding a camp site that could accommodate such a vehicle, so I am at the moment limiting the length to around 35feet.

Until recently I was quite happy to have bought my RV from one of the dealers within the UK however having compaired the US prices to the UK prices I am very tempted to visit the US to buy my RV.

Here is my first problem, we have never been to the USA :( hence a good friend and fellow member JohnSandywhite directed me to this forum in particular this thread http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=3937.0  started by fellow Brit UK-RV who is currently buying a new RV from Lazydays.

Lazydays WERE at the top of my American RV dealers list until I read UK-RVs thread........ the outcome of his problems with Lazydays may influence my decision.

I also hope by joining this forum  that its members living in the USA will be able to give me good advice with regard to my future purchase.

Cheers Mick & Pat  ;D

Mick and Pat,

Welcome to our forum. Glad you joined us. You'll certainly find a lot of help here. Feel free to browse around the forum and our library (click the Library button above) and let us know if we can answer any questions.

Although I empathize with Paul's situation, the problems he's seen are not unusual and definitely not limited to that dealership. If you had the time and the inclination, one way to avoid Paul's situation is to take factory delivery of your new coach. You'd make your deal with and order from a dealer, specify factory delivery for which you'd pay $1,000-$1,500 extra, wait for the coach to be built, then turn up at the factory or their nearby service center. They'd assign one or more techs to you and your coach to go over everything in detail and fix whatever needs fixing. Things would be fixed pronto as they have all the parts there and you'd drive away only when you were happy with the coach. But you'd be a happy camper.

I didn't do this with our current coach and went through something worse than what Paul's going through, but at a different dealership. Having observed factory deliveries when we were at the factory service center last year, there's no doubt that's the way I'd go next time.

Tom,

Thank you very much for that warm reply and suggestion,like I said in my opening introduction posting the thought of travelling to the States to buy our RV is very worrying and I am open to suggestions.

Once again thank you

Mick & Pat

Mick,

I can understand the apprehension. We left the comfort of sunny south Wales 25 years ago and understand what it's like to plonk down a bunch of cash in a strange country. I also remember what it was like on my first visit to the U.S. in the early/mid 70's. Prior to that, we thought that anything north of Newport was "London"  ;D

I'm sure you'll get a lot of moral support from several folks who've done what you're planning to do and from our membership at large. They're a very warm, friendly bunch of folks and always willing to share their knowledge and experience.

Just yell if you need help.

All we ask in return is that you stay in touch and keep us abreast of your adventure.

Back
Top Bottom