Uke recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting Larry. A quick look at several of instruments shows the nut is significantly lower than the bridge.
Yes, but on my guitars my fingers are near the nut on the simpler chords, and on the 12 string that was where I ran into the most problem (I don't do much on the higher end of the fret board). It's possible they also trimmed the bridge, but I know for sure they trimmed the nut.

Yes, but on my guitars my fingers are near the nut on the simpler chords, and on the 12 string that was where I ran into the most problem (I don't do much on the higher end of the fret board). It's possible they also trimmed the bridge, but I know for sure they trimmed the nut.

Understood Larry. On my banjo, the luthier adjusted the truss rod, but I don't have truss rods on any of my ukes.

Me again. Adjusting my hand position has seemed to help. I'm thinking about going to a low G and buying new strings. I would appreciate opinions on going to a low G and recommendations on new strings. BTW I think I will also buy a new tuner. I'd also appreciate recommendations on a new tuner. (Overall I think the Ukulele I bought is a decent instrument for the price I paid).

Thanks for your help.

Always Max

I agree with phil that a Snark is good, and is easy to tune with. I've noticed that a number of professional musicians use Snarks too. And I can tune a banjo with the one I got for guitar -- works nicely.

Me again. Adjusting my hand position has seemed to help. I'm thinking about going to a low G and buying new strings. I would appreciate opinions on going to a low G and recommendations on new strings. BTW I think I will also buy a new tuner. I'd also appreciate recommendations on a new tuner. (Overall I think the Ukulele I bought is a decent instrument for the price I paid).

Thanks for your help.

Always Max
Aquila (the same brand you already have) are decent strings; I have them on most of my ukes. You should be able to buy just the low-G string without relacing them all. Just curious if there's a reason you'd want to replace that string before you've become comfortable playing the instrument?

I've tried numerous tuners, and the one I prefer is the KLIQ Uber tuner, for brightness/ease of viewing and battery life. Any reason you're unhappy with the tuner that came with the uke? (I don't recall the brand of tuner).

Last edited:
Aquila (the same brand you already have) are decent strings; I have them on most of my ukes. You should be able to buy just the low-G string without relacing them all. Just curious if there's a reason you'd want to replace that string before you've become comfortable playing the instrument?

I've tried numerous tuners, and the one I prefer is the KLIQ Uber tuner, for brightness/ease of viewing and battery life. Any reason you're unhappy with the tuner that came with the uke? (I don't recall the brand of tuner).
You can also download one of a number of 'tuner' apps for your smartphone. I still prefer a clip-on tuner.

And I can tune a banjo with the one I got for guitar -- works nicely.
Aye Larry, any chromatic tuner, or a tuner with a chromatic setting, can be switched between instruments (re-entrant tuned uke, baritone uke, guitar, banjo), irrespective of their tuning.

You're right, I found I can buy just an Aquila low G String. Since I have Aquila on the Uke plus an extra set that was included with the package it makes sense to stay with Aquila. I was thinking about switching to a low G because I prefer the sound. I'll stay with what I have for the time being.

I'm not sure if the tuner that was included is accurate. Again, I'll wait and see.

Thanks for all the guidance.

I just ordered a wall mount ukulele hanger. I guess that means my new Uke is going to hang around with me for awhile. (I know it's a bad pun.)

I just ordered a wall mount ukulele hanger. I guess that means my new Uke is going to hang around with me for awhile. (I know it's a bad pun.)
I have several wall-mount uke hangers at our S&B. They work just fine.

I have several wall-mount uke hangers at our S&B. They work just fine.
Forgot to mention that I also have one uke hanger on the coach. I used removable 3M Command strip to attach it to wood trim on a slideout.

An update ... as I mentioned, I adjusted my hand position plus I bought a Snark Tuner. Those two things made a big difference. I don't think I will have to lower the action. Now I just need to make time to practice more and there are tons of beginner Uke videos online. Love my Uke and all is well.

An update ... as I mentioned, I adjusted my hand position plus I bought a Snark Tuner. Those two things made a big difference. I don't think I will have to lower the action. Now I just need to make time to practice more and there are tons of beginner Uke videos online. Love my Uke and all is well.
We're eagerly awaiting your first YouTube recital.

New ID Tom? Welcome... :cool:
Larry, it's just my Moderator account. As I did for years in the old forum, I have accounts with different permissions, so I can log in and replicate any issues that one group sees that other groups don't.

Back
Top Bottom