Ultimate Dumb Question -- Water Sanitation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carolyn

Well, I hope this is truly the friendliest place on the web, because I have a feeling I'm about to ask THE dumbest RV question that's ever been answered.  I live in an 8 year old Chateau RV permanently parked in an RV park (I parked it after having a double blowout on the interstate.  I can't sell it for nearly what it's worth.  I can't afford it and a house too, so I'm just making the best of it.)  But I digress.  My water comes from the campground water, which makes no one else sick, directly into my RV through the standard white hose (which admittedly has been sitting out in the weather and sun for over a year.)  I thought I did not have to worry about bleach and sterilizing the water tank because I'm not using water from the tank.

However, my stomach may have a different opinion.  Going to to the doctor is not an option because I have have had massive financial setbacks in the past two years and I am among the great Americans who work hard, pay their taxes and have no medical insurance.  I make a little too much for Medicaid;  I'm not old enough for Medicare.  But I digress again.  I've had diarrhea for four months, and I'm really starting to get really, really sick, so weak I can barely function.  I'm online trying to diagnose myself and the RV water occurred to me.  Is it possible for the hose coming in or the waterlines transporting water to the faucets to be growing some sort of cooties that are making me sick?    Do I need to run Clorox through it like I would if I were using water from the water storage tank?  I'm thinking Giardia, but my dog drinks the same water and doesn't have diarrhea -- although his poop does smell to high heavens, and it didn't use to.

Thank you,
Carolyn

I forgot to mention that I did drink bottled water for a week, and it made no difference.  But I''m thinking if I have some kind of bacteria already in my system, it wouldn't have.  I'm going to have to get rid of it  If anyone else has ever encoutnered this problem, do you know what kind of of antibiotic would be used to treat it?  I may be able to find a non-prescription source on line, but I did talk to a doctor's office, and they want to go about treatment the opposite of the finanically prudent way.  They want to do all sorts of heinous, embarrasing, painful EXPENSIVE tests to rule out everything else before trying an antibiotic.   Call me frugal, but I think it would make a lot of sense to try an antiotic first.....    It's not like I'm one of those people who has taken one every time I've sneezed for the last 20 years and am in danger of building up resistance.

Thanks again,
Carolyn

I can't begin to answer your question but I strongly feel there are two things you should do.  Number 1 is to go see a doctor.  If no one else in the park has been affected by the water, it would seem that the water in an unlikely cause.  No 2 is go see a doctor.

You could also take a sample of the water from you faucet in the RV to a local water testing facility just to confirm it is or isn't a potential source of your trouble.  Call your local water treatment facility to see if they will test it for you or can tell you where it can be tested.  Good Luck!

Carolyn,
We can sympathize with your predicament, but cannot and will not give medical or drug advice. We are rv'ers; not doctors. We all, to varying degrees, take certain precautions like only drinking bottled water and sanitizing our water systems when necessary, but cannot begin to offer you medical advice. Please consult a qualified physician at your earliest opportunity. There must be some no or low cost clinics that you can visit.

I wish you the best! :)   

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom