Ultrapower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taxman

Brazel's Performance RV Center in Centralia Washington offers an UltraPower Engine Performance kit for, among others, my 1990 TBI big block Chevrolet powered motorhome.

Has anyone on this forum had any experience with it?

If so, what was it?  And, did you install the performance chip yourself?

I've heard elsewhere of people who were happy with Brazel's Ultrapower kits, mostly on later model Workhorse chassis (8.1L GM engine). Some people have experienced driveability problems (hard start, misses, etc.) but that goes hand in hand with this sort of upgrade. The standard chip is a best compromise for a wide variety of operating conditions, whereas the power chips sacrifice some of the fringe environments for more "go" in the most common operating environment.  Depending on how & where you use your rig, you may or may not encounter these situations.  Brazel's has a good rep for working with their customers to resolve any problems, including re-tuning the chip to eliminate problems.

I've never used one myself, nor have I done business with Brazel's. This is all based on reports I've read on other websites.

Thanks for the comeback and the advice, Gary.  I think I will leave well enough alone! 

I have already installed an MSD6 ignition, Banks PowerPack and a Gear Vendors overdrive.  I expect that with all that having been done, keeping a good tune & staying on top of the fluids is about the best I can do from here on out.  Don't want to get into the engine internals unless I really, really have to!

While I was at it, I also added the Roadmaster sway bar kit, Bilsteins all around, 2 Super Steer bellcranks and Safe Steer.  Yes, the mods were expensive, but are well worth the money in terms of improved performance, safety and comfort.  I highly recommend all of them.

I purposely bought an older, well-maintained Airstream Land Yacht so I'd have $$$$ in the budget for chassis/engine mods.  IOW, I could have purchased a later model MH, but then I'd be back at square one with respect to "desirable" chassis/engine mods, and not have the $$$ to do them.  I hope my concept works over the long haul!

Comments?

Comments? Well, you spent a ton of money but bought all top quality stuff. If you keep the motorhome long enough, it will pay you back in enjoyment. But if you get the itch to trade, you won't get more than a few dollars for all of the upgrades.

Thanks, Gary.  It was never my intention to trade the LY -- we bought it to keep until we can travel no more.  Now, of course, all that has to happen is for it to last that long!  However long that is.  And, however long it lasts is up to me, isn't it?

And, when the time comes to sell, someone will get a good deal.  In the meantime, we will have thoroughly enjoyed our selves. 

At least, that is the plan.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom