Unable to open attached Excel file

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see exactly the same properties for the link in Firefox, Opera, and IE

Tom attached a screen shot of the Properties window from Firefox and it didn't show a file type at all. :p

What we have not seen is a screen shot of the window that's presented when left clicking on the link.

As for the window presented when left clicking on the link, I don't even get a dialog window because I have the php file type associated with the MS Works spreadsheet application (for now) and Works gets loaded immediately with the file in view without even asking me if I want to open the file or save it.

Also, are these problem systems showing the same thing with other than .xls file links, like the .png file link above?

No, I have no problems viewing the .png links posted by Ned or Tom.? They open directly without a dialog box asking if I want to open or save the file.

You need to enable Automatic Prompting for Downloads in the security settings for the internet zone.  Allowing files to download without prompting can be very dangerous.

Again, the properties of the LINK don't matter, the link is NOT the file referenced by the link.

Ned, I have Automatic Prompting for Downloads enabled.  But the file goes right through to Works anyway.  Not sure why.

Also, I'm having trouble believing the properties of the link don't matter.  The file type shown in the properties appears to be a remnant of the php script.  An Excel spreadsheet file should display 'xls File' for the file type and it doesn't.  I'm thinking that since the file name is being referenced by a php script pointer, IE has no access to the file name extension, and hence cannot determine the file type.

rsalhus said:
Ned, I have Automatic Prompting for Downloads enabled.  But the file goes right through to Works anyway.  Not sure why.

There must be another setting in the Internet Options that controls the prompting then.  I have no idea where to look as nothing else I can see should affect this.  Whatever is causing it, I would try to find it and change it to prompt as allowing files to be downloaded without prompting can be risky.  That's how a lot of malware gets installed.

I just found a MS KB article that may help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177976/EN-US/

Also, I'm having trouble believing the properties of the link don't matter.  The file type shown in the properties appears to be a remnant of the php script.  An Excel spreadsheet file should display 'xls File' for the file type and it doesn't.  I'm thinking that since the file name is being referenced by a php script pointer, IE has no access to the file name extension, and hence cannot determine the file type.

The link properties don't matter to your computer, only to the server.  The index.php script is not supposed to be sent to the browser, only the results of the script which should be the actual file.  When the file opens in Works, what does Works show for the name?

I just found a MS KB article that may help: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177976/EN-US/

This article must not apply to me because it is before IE6.  I tried doing what it says but couldn't edit file type as it described.  I've looked around for other options too and couldn't find anything to prompt before downloading.

When the file opens in Works, what does Works show for the name?

It shows index.php the first time I left click on D2's link, and index[2].php the second time and so on.  The first Works Screen Dump image inserted below shows the Works window immediately after clicking  on the link.  The second image shows the Works window after I select Sheet 1.

Attachments

• WorksScreenDump1.PNG
    WorksScreenDump1.PNG
    36.2 KB · Views: 8
  • WorksScreenDump2.PNG
    WorksScreenDump2.PNG
    47.3 KB · Views: 5
Often a KB article will apply even to later products than those listed, but in this case, you're correct, it doesn't.  You might try further searching on the MS KB for relevant articles, I found that one as several non-relevant ones via the Windows Help and Support app.  A careful examination of the IE options may indicate something too, but I haven't found anything other than already suggested.

Did you ever try Firefox or Opera to see if the behaviour is truly browser dependent or a basic Windows problem?

Did you ever try Firefox or Opera to see if the behaviour is truly browser dependent or a basic Windows problem?

Just downloaded Firefox and using it now.  I'm attaching the dialog box opened by Firefox when left clicking on D2's link.  Not sure if this is the same dialog box that you get or not.  It does appear to have the name and file type correct and if I click OK it opens the file in Works correctly.

Attachments

• FirefoxDialogBox.PNG
    FirefoxDialogBox.PNG
    21.5 KB · Views: 8
Tom,

Let me put my 1 cent and see if it works even with the extra step required. Zip the two excel files separately and attach to the library and see if others can open it in IE.

Rolf,

That's the same dialog but you have a strange application associated with XLS files.  What happens if you click OK with Open selected?

What happens if you click OK with Open selected?

Like I said, it opens the file in Works correctly.  I don't know where the ft000001 application (default?) comes from.  I certainly didn't associate that application name with any file type that I know of.

Ned, here's something odd though.  I went to check the xls file type (where I currentlly have the xls file type associated with MS Works) and noticed an oddity there.  In the attached Print Screen, it shows the xls file type selected and it says to change settings, click on Advanced.  But there is no Advanced button to click on. ???

Attachments

• FileTypeOddity.PNG
    FileTypeOddity.PNG
    38.3 KB · Views: 10
The Advanced button isn't there in XP, but the Change button will let you select the program to open that file extension.

Firefox offers several options for downloading files...and I think, in this case, IE offers much the same options however with different names.

If you right click and choose "Save link as" you get the PHP script, which is what you got.

Click on the link as though you wished to view the page, and the script runs on the server, and you get the file. (It will either open with the proper application or you get the save file dialog depending on both the script and your browser's settings.

Good point, you can't save these files by using the Save As menu item.  You have to left click on the link to let the php script present the file to the browser.

The Advanced button isn't there in XP, but the Change button will let you select the program to open that file extension.

The Advanced button is there in XP.  What happens is the Advanced button changes to a Restore button when you click on Change to designate an application to open the file type with.  So the Advanced button effectively disappears while you have a change in effect.  Sometimes the comment that describes the file type is not refreshed or cleared when you have selected a file type that you created using the 'New' button (like when I created the xls file type).  So sometimes a leftover comment appears there (from the previous selected file type) which further adds to the confusion.

Isn't it funny how we go cruising down a main highway (Travel Recommendations) and we hit a road block (downloading a spreadsheet file) so we venture down less traveled roads (browser versions and settings) only to find dirt roads (like file type definitions).  I think the trail to an eventual solution pretty much reaches a dead end, however, whenever we reach the metropolis of MS.  :p 

Rolf,

Right you are, I just didn't notice that.  I checked the XLS extension which I had modified so I only saw the Restore button.  Other extensions that haven't been modified do indeed show the Advanced button.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom